Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with handgun when nature calls?

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I solved this problem by never going #2 in a public restroom. Eat lots of fiber and don't skip the first step on your morning SSS routine.

Seriously, the last time I did was over 10 years ago, when recovering from food poisoning. And that was in a facility where I wasn't able to carry legally anyways.
    I agree. A good strong cup of coffee usually helps set things right first thing in the morning.

Urinating is no big deal but I avoid other activities in public restrooms unless there isn't a more prudent option.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    #1 - don’t use Urinals when possible - When I was in high school it was pretty common to hip check guys and make them piss on themselves while they were using the urinal. No matter how aware you are, you are at a disadvantage when urinating or defecating.

#2 use handicap stalls when possible. Distance equals time. More space equals harder to try and grab your weapon if you leave it holstered and more space to fight back.

In a secure location, or a single occupancy bathroom I will just leave the gun in the holster. In a public bathroom I was taught to unholster and place the gun in the crotch / inside the support side leg of my pants for quick access if needed. It also makes it hard to forget your gun.

Before LE, while going to school, I worked as an Uniformed Armored Car Guard. On one occasion, while working, I got hit with stomach cramps and impending diarrhea. A find a bathroom or change your pants type situation. As I was heading to the bathroom of a restaurant which was one of our customers, I saw three sketchy dudes giving me the eyeball as I was quick stepping to the bathroom. Normally I would have waited and gone elsewhere but it was an “urgent” situation. Shortly after getting situated in the sole stall of the very small bathroom, all three stooges pile into the bathroom. I recovered my pistol from the aforementioned inside the pants position and by the time stooge number one peeked over the stall wall he was looking down the muzzle and beat a hasty retreat.

I also had a co-worker who was notorious for taking off his entire Sam Brown belt and hanging it up on hooks while using the restroom. He forgot it several times. The 4th or 5th time he did this it was gone when he went back.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-30-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    It’s pretty easy to be aware of what’s going on around you while using a urinal. Unless, maybe, if you are in a very crowded restroom, but in that case, the crowd would probably lower the likelihood of an incident. Im pretty opposed to using public restroom stall unless absolutely necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No matter how aware you are, you are at a disadvantage when urinating. If something comes up, it’s gonna take you a few seconds to stop while “going” if you don’t want to psss on yourself. A urinal is a great place for a smash and grab mugging.

If you are young and healthy, skipping public restrooms works. For those who are older, or have medical issues or medications which make them go more frequently that is not a realistic option.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I just drop trou then buckle my belt at my knee. No need to unholster.
    This is standard practice for when using a non-normal bathroom. Granted, I have a "phobia" about deucing in unfamiliar bathrooms in general, but if the holster is secure enough to hold the firearm, it should be able to hold said firearm while your pants aren't at your waist. If you need some form of covering though, might I suggest getting in the habit of pocket carrying either a handkerchief or keeping a newspaper on hand?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Urinating and looking at your phone is common behavior now. Good point about using urinals in general but sometimes Condition Yellow becomes urgent and you don't want to get stalled.
    Ok, now i'm going to have to carry those single packed sanitary wipes with me, as i'm a "tech guy" and get people asking me to look at something wrong with their phones.

Ewww.......
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Banned
    First let me say that I'm regular enough that this has never been a serious issue for me. I'm usually still in my boxers when I have to go.

When I was working as an armed guard I was lucky enough to be working solo midnights and I had access to various utilities sites.

To make a long story short I generally used a single occupancy bathroom at one of the facilities. Most of the time I left my body armor at the front desk (no one else on site but me) and had a vanity to put my gun and spare magazines and radio and all that other shit that makes pulling your pants up such a pain.

My favorite bathroom was at a pump station waaaaaaay the Hell out in Eastern El Paso County. It was seven miles down a dirt road from the nearest paved road but the best part was the facility had no running water so the toilet had an incinerator in it that burned anything you put in it. A ten year old must have invented this toilet, who else would think a toilet that burns is a good idea. I called it Mt. Doom

I go with crotch of underwear, or on top of toilet paper holder if it's flat/stable and not a busy bathroom. Aiwb mag goes in my pocket until I'm done. It is not a quick process.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Ok, now i'm going to have to carry those single packed sanitary wipes with me, as i'm a "tech guy" and get people asking me to look at something wrong with their phones.

Ewww.......
    Wasn’t there a study showing most people’s phones have many times the bacteria found in their toilets ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Not to mention that you can camp out with your back to a wall and facing ingress/egress with impunity. I can’t believe that anyone with an interest in self defense would use a unrinal in a public setting. I’m not Jason Bourne, Daredevil, or an Apache warrior gleaning all movement from a curved, relective surface. Plus, I’ve done FoF training in bathroom urinal stalls. The average middle-aged, able-bodied man with any impact tool could take Bas Rutten... if his head was down with both hands on his dick.

OMMV, but I put using urinals while armed right up there with fat guy OC standing in line at Arby’s while checking facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    It’s pretty easy to be aware of what’s going on around you while using a urinal. Unless, maybe, if you are in a very crowded restroom, but in that case, the crowd would probably lower the likelihood of an incident. Im pretty opposed to using public restroom stall unless absolutely necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I can tell you from personal experience that getting into a gunfight while at a urinal will not be a picnic.

Scene: CI cooperating with us on a case in Hartford, CT involving bad guys he alleges he is to meet and who have threatened him. He says he has to go to the bathroom and I accompany him and pretend to be using the urinal next to him. Backup is at a few tables around the restaurant. I have a S&W Model 15 in the front of my pants AIWB sans AIWB holster.

All of a sudden several men burst into the bathroom. At least one has gun drawn and is approaching the CI. I draw on him and am about to take a head shot when someone (finally) yells police at which he and I barely stand down in time to avoid what would have been two LEOs killing one another.

Unbeknownst to us, the CI set this near tragedy in motion. He was a sick fuck that decided to play both sides against the middle for a variety of deviant reasons of his own devising. The locals didn't announce who they were upon entry, nor, I found out later, had our agency advised the locals of our activity in advance. They thought they were breaking up a drug op. I thought they were there to assassinate the CI.

As prepared as I was mentally for trouble, it came so fast it was a miracle no one was killed.

The moral is, if you think you're going to get your gun out in time while your johnson is in your hand, you're most likely kidding yourself. I had my hand on the butt of my gun while feigning to use the urinal and I barely had time to put the gun on target and begin applying pressure to the trigger.

I don't recommend deals in bathrooms. Apparently the deviant little prick told the Hartford P.D. that was where the deal was to go down. I thought he really needed to answer the call. (I had cleared the bathroom before letting him in.)

Live and learn. Learn and live.
    Last edited by blues; 12-30-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Once again, it looks like Sonny Crockett was right all along. Maybe I should start looking for a Bren Ten, too....

User Tag List