Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: S&W J frame 442 cutting web of my hand any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Did they offer to fix or replace them?
    No. As near as I can tell, that’s just the nature of mass-produced grips. Maybe some makers fit them better, but I’m not spending $100 just to find out. Although my Hogue JMs fit pretty well to the frame.

The grips in the picture below are Ahrends. See how they don’t quite fit to the top rear of the grip frame? These are the grips that would’ve shipped with the gun, so I can’t return them. It’s a shame, because they’re wide enough at the top to absorb the substantial recoil of a 20 oz .45 ACP. But that exposed metal at the top of the grip frame, especially the corner, renders those excellent ergonomics all for naught.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    No. As near as I can tell, that’s just the nature of mass-produced grips. Maybe some makers fit them better, but I’m not spending $100 just to find out. Although my Hogue JMs fit pretty well to the frame.

The grips in the picture below are Ahrends. See how they don’t quite fit to the top rear of the grip frame? These are the grips that would’ve shipped with the gun, so I can’t return them. It’s a shame, because they’re wide enough at the top to absorb the substantial recoil of a 20 oz .45 ACP. But that exposed metal at the top of the grip frame, especially the corner, renders those excellent ergonomics all for naught.

You just need to grow bigger hands! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I just might! Whites are made in Spokane WA...where I went to undergrad. Couldn’t afford them then...can’t afford to be without them now. If I could travel back in time to visit past Sherman, I’d tell him to stop wearing cheap boots. Three foot surgeries later, and any money I saved on cheaper foot ware has been revisited an order of magnitude greater upon me in creakiness, pain and stitches.

I’ll be teaching at my Alma Mater for a guest lecture, and I’ll go get fitted in person while I’m there. Finding an off-the-shelf boot in a 14D is next to impossible.

If you go ask for Eric Kinney and tell him I sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

Boy, those don't look particularly well fitted, period. I would check for burrs and see if you can't fit them better overall. The problem with the Scandium frames is they are slightly different dimensions than standard steel frames. So, any grips fitting well, is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    You get a pair of White's Semi Dress and you won't wear your Redwings again.
    I have a pair of Iron Rangers, I've had for like 7 years and I never wear the damn things, because I don't find them comfortable. I keep thinking I should get fitted for Whites and sell the Redwings.

Mine took two years to break in. I wear them for everything...from the courtroom to weddings to yard work. They hold a nice flat buffing well, and I waterseal them twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    You just need to grow bigger hands! [emoji6]

Yeah I definitely got screwed on the digit length.

The ones on my hands, that is[emoji6]

Since I last posted reference this thread, I have added a new patent pending "custom cushioning device", aka glued on chunk of foam.

Previously I had run a foam earplug sliced in half, then gorilla glued on the back strap, and it worked pretty darn well. However, I had some leftover EVA foam which is pretty tough stuff and had the right amount of flex, memory, resilience, or whatever descriptors you want. In playing with a larger chunk of the foam glued on, I find that it makes a rather significant difference in shooting comfort when shooting anything more than standard pressure wadcutters. Bearing in mind that such things are highly subjective, but I enjoy shooting .44s, and detest hot loads in Airweight J Frames.

By the way,

EVA foam is the same stuff that is used in those exercise mats that link together, and you can get on Amazon. In fact you can buy the mat, peal off the edges that protect the interlocking pieces and use the piece that was pealed off for your J Frame cushion.

I know that it is not pretty, and it is redneck engineering.

It works though, and since it is in my pocket, and few people ever see it, it works for me.

https://limbsaver.com/collections/ar...r-strip-2-pack

I’ve been trying these lately... so far, so good.

Site Supporter
    When struggling to make j frame rubber grips fit better by trying to remove edges or high areas, I had good luck by first freezing the grips. Freezing made the rubber harder. The lower the temp the better. I put the grips in a freezer and set the temp at its lowest point, minus 4 degrees. It's not an original idea. Sometimes machinist will use dry ice when freezing rubber for machining. I used a belt sander for grinding.
    Last edited by willie; 09-21-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added sentence

User Tag List