Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W J frame 442 cutting web of my hand any advice?

After shooting 15 357 Magnums through my 340PD Saturday the web of my strong hand had a little torn skin. Wasn't a big deal but my knuckle was sort of odd feeling for a day from the recoil. 38 is for sure milder to shoot, but I am keeping 357's in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Dan,

I took a foam earplug and sliced it in half. I then super glued it to the back of the frame, right at the top, where the backstrap stops, and the curve begins.
    I am trying something similar with "Shoe Goo." It is surprisingly strong and seems robust.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 02-15-2018 at 12:32 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    After shooting 15 357 Magnums through my 340PD Saturday the web of my strong hand had a little torn skin. Wasn't a big deal but my knuckle was sort of odd feeling for a day from the recoil. 38 is for sure milder to shoot, but I am keeping 357's in it.

You are the first person I have encountered here who has decided to keep .357's in his j-frame. Every other shooter has said the difference in ballistics is so small (due to the short barrel) and the physical punishment is so great that they are EDC-ing only .38's. You must be a "Tuff Guy!"
    Last edited by 11B10; 02-15-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    You are the first person I have encountered here who has decided to keep .357's in his j-frame. Every other shooter has said the difference in ballistics is so small (due to the short barrel) and the physical punishment is so great that they are EDC-ing only .38's. You must be a "Tuff Guy!"
    Eh, not sure about the tuff part but I am 6'5 and 250. Ha! I didn't think a cylinder full of the 357 Mag was that bad honestly, now the second and third kind of sucked! I've been reviewing ballistic tests and such but I can say for 100% certain that the 357 mag seems to have a much more forceful impact on the steel. It could be meaningless I know, hence the ongoing research. The 357 loads were very poa/poi for me as well so if it shoots well and hits hard, for a close deep conceal gun like this I don't hate it?

short of wearing a glove, the only way to keep my 442 from "getting" me is to crush the shit out of the grip and manhandle it like you think you would a S&W .500

still wouldn't give up that gun (the 442... I can't afford a .500 )
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I’m so impressed with how controllable Delta grips make my J frame that I’m half tempted to buy an extra set and start loaning them out to people to try...

I suggest you get a set of Pachmayr Compacs for most of your shooting. If you feel they are not concealable then use Boot grips for carry.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    I am trying something similar with "Shoe Goo." It is surprisingly strong and seems robust.

Pic please & thanks! You've sparked my curiosity.

Name:  86203A65-FE87-4F77-A5A1-AFAA552F0474.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  38.8 KB

Keep in mind this was done with the clear shoe goo and not the black so it looks rough. But it is extremely strong and multiple coats can be used.

It also remains malleable for a while so you can squeeze/push manipulate it before it dries.

I have also peeled some of it off and it hasn’t impacted the finish.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 02-19-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks for the pic! Looks a lot like what crimson trace does on the 405(?) grips.

User Tag List