Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W J frame 442 cutting web of my hand any advice?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Hogue Centennial grip.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Unless you’re pocket carrying in a NPE, slap on some rubber grips that cover the grip strap. There’s a ton to choose from including a j frame version of the same grip Hogue makes for the LCR.

Maybe you are getting too high on the gun. Up on the point where the backstrap breaks over?
    Are you a geezer like me with old thin skin?
    No J frame should be cutting you, especially with wadcutters.

Have you tried running your hand over the grip area, looking for sharp edges or hot spots? I would expect that the cut areas of your hands should provide you some insight as to what is causing the abrasion. Try matching the cuts to the area of the grip that was in contact with it.

Debur the backside of the cylinder release.

civiliandefender.com

Oh, also make sure the rear of the grips mate cleanly and flush to the grip frame. If they don’t, you’re going to get a compression injury and if there’s an edge, it’ll open you up.

civiliandefender.com

Cut, or perhaps a split or crack? Too-dry skin can crack easily. Make sure you are well-hydrated, from within, and use a good moisturizer. Do both of these things well before shooting. (Do not shoot with slippery hands!) As I age, this becomes more important. This applies to all frame sizes. The last revolver to split, rather than cut, my skin was a GP100, when my skin was notably dry.

As for technique, hold high on the grip frame, firmly, and held in such a way that the weapon cannot get a running start before smacking into your hand.

Having said all of that, J-Snubs do not fit everyone. I much prefer the SP101.

Keep the live-fire shooting sessions short. Thirty rounds is about all I have ever tolerated, in one session, with a typical 1-7/8” J-Snub, and that is because my employer had a thirty-round qual, for off-duty/back-up guns, until recently, when it increased to fifty. My practice sessions have normally been shorter than that. Better to practice more often, and fire far fewer rounds per session.

A longer, and/or heavier-profile barrel, is helpful, to damp the recoil impulse. My 3” Model 60, with untapered barrel profile, was much gentler to shoot.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-31-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Debur the backside of the cylinder release.

civiliandefender.com
    Definitely do this. I've never cut the web of my hand with a J frame, but I've had sharp cylinder releases slice my thumb. I'm sitting here looking at my 442 and I really can't understand how one could cut the web of your hand. Are the sideplate and screw flush to the frame?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

What’s the preferred method of carry? That’s going to dictate what grip options are available.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I appreciate the advice from everyone.

Can’t find sharp spots, it almost filleted small chunks of skin on both hands. I’m going to go with gloves and look at changing out the grips.

It’s being carried in a RCS vanguard 2 AIWB.

I really like the gun, between wadcutters and the apex kit it’s huge improvement over the j frame I had years ago. Minus the issues with my delicate hands I enjoy shooting this gun.
    Last edited by NoLock; 12-31-2017 at 04:31 PM.

User Tag List