Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W J frame 442 cutting web of my hand any advice?

S&W J frame 442 cutting web of my hand any advice?

Happened with web strong hand and support hand. Fired wadcutters through factory grips and lg-105 which leaves backstrap exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Happened with web strong hand and support hand. Fired wadcutters through factory grips and lg-105 which leaves backstrap exposed.
    I've had blisters form with my L frame when shooting hot .357 rounds at length, but not with the J, even with +P.

Are you getting a tight enough grip so that it's not moving around in your hand? Is it because you have a large hand and need a bigger grip? I ask because I have a medium/large hand so it may just suit me better in that regard. (I use the stock S&W rubber grips which I understand are from Hogue.)
    Last edited by blues; 12-30-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I have small hands.

I had a 642 years ago and I'm almost certain I didn't have the same issue. Could the edge just be sharp?
    Last edited by NoLock; 12-30-2017 at 12:34 PM.

S&W J frame 442 cutting web of my hand any advice?

Have you tried the LG-405? Gives a little cushion to the rear strap.

For cost, I’d see if someone local has one to see if it will fit your hand.
    Last edited by Screwball; 12-30-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    I have small hands.

I had a 642 years ago and I'm almost certain I didn't have the same issue. Could the edge just be sharp?
    I'm sure one of our resident revolver experts will be able to help. Over the years with my J's I've only used the OEM wooden (Magna) grips, with or without a Tyler "T"-Grip, or Pachmayr, so I can only offer limited choices from personal experience.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    How many rounds did you fire? Did it cut you or raise a blister? J frames are painful when firing a lot. Try a glove. They make a cushioned glove for recoil. I have a Past shooting glove somewhere. I got it for a girlfriend. Don’t forget about moleskin. J frames , especially air weights require a firm grip. Grip strength helps with all pistols. Dry fire is some of the best practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    How many rounds did you fire? Did it cut you or raise a blister? J frames are painful when firing a lot. Try a glove. They make a cushioned glove for recoil. I have a Past shooting glove somewhere. I got it for a girlfriend. Don’t forget about moleskin. J frames , especially air weights require a firm grip. Grip strength helps with all pistols. Dry fire is some of the best practice.
    Two shooting sessions a week apart. First one around 100 rounds second one around 150. First session web of hand was cut and then I switched to support hand and it was cut too. I grabbed two Band-Aids and covered then with duct tape. Second range session I put on moleskin type tape and duct tape over it. It helped somewhat but I had to replace the duct tape because it seemed to be getting cut.
    Last edited by NoLock; 12-30-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Exactly why I switched to the SRH, GP100 and SP101.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I’m trying to envision the problem. 442/642 definitely have some sharp edges, but the backstrap and hump are not amongst them.

Wadcutters shouldn’t be putting that sort of wear on your hands, despite the airweight platform. When I (grudgingly) do more than a few cylinders of +P carry ammo, my palm and grip will eventually give out before my skin does.

Is there any sort of gap in the grip fitment that might be catching and twisting skin?

Site Supporter
    I'm not a revolver "expert", but I've tried the LG 105 and did not like it at all. I do recall they felt like they had a sharp spot/angle. The stock grips were much better, and I use a LG 405 now (and did before I used the LG 105). Also, my round counts with a j-frame are a lot lower than 100-150 (ball and dummy is a very good exercise with the j-frame). I wear a glove when practicing with the 340 PD, and it isn't a bad idea with a 642/442.

Here's Claude Werner's (aka Headhunter's) ball and dummy article:
    https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....gory/practice/
    Last edited by idahojess; 12-30-2017 at 01:48 PM.

User Tag List