Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500 - action still locked after trigger pull

Mossberg 500 - action still locked after trigger pull

Was in the duck blind this morning. Things were chugging right along until, for no apparent reason, the brand new Mossberg 500 (less than 100 rounds through it) went down. Gun go bang, action would not cycle - it remained locked closed. Hit the slide release and cycled a new round in. Bang again - no slide action. Went through this cycle 6 or 8 times and so I figured I was going to have to finish out the hunt in single shot mode. Then, again for no apparent reason, it started working again. Note: this particular shotgun has the asinine "feature" of the LPD (or whatever they call it. Basically an AccuTrigger - on a shotgun).

Can anyone point me to whatever part(s) are involved in unlocking the action post-trigger pull?

I understand there is basically an armorer's manual for the 590A1 published as a U.S. Military technical manual. A quick search before posting this came up dry. Anyone got a title for that manual, or even better, a link to a pdf?

TIA.

While I don't disagree with attempting to diagnose it yourself, given it's so new have you given a shout to Mossberg yet?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Well, found the manual a little past halfway down this page: http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm

It is titled TM 9-1005-338-13&P Mossberg 500 and 590

If anyone can point me in the right direction on what to check over on this thing, that would still be appreciated.

huf - no. This just happened this morning. I assume ain't no one answering phone at Mossberg on the Saturday before New Years. Too, if it is/was just a bur on a part, or something I can address, I would rather do that than go through the hassle of sending it in, etc.

Well, the manual was no help...

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Was in the duck blind this morning. Things were chugging right along until, for no apparent reason, the brand new Mossberg 500 (less than 100 rounds through it) went down. Gun go bang, action would not cycle - it remained locked closed. Hit the slide release and cycled a new round in. Bang again - no slide action. Went through this cycle 6 or 8 times and so I figured I was going to have to finish out the hunt in single shot mode. Then, again for no apparent reason, it started working again. Note: this particular shotgun has the asinine "feature" of the LPD (or whatever they call it. Basically an AccuTrigger - on a shotgun).

Can anyone point me to whatever part(s) are involved in unlocking the action post-trigger pull?

I understand there is basically an armorer's manual for the 590A1 published as a U.S. Military technical manual. A quick search before posting this came up dry. Anyone got a title for that manual, or even better, a link to a pdf?

TIA.

If it is an assnine feature why did you purchase it? Check one of the two springs for the slide release. My guess is one is broken or missing. Probably the hammer one. When the hammer is released I bet the locking bar doesnt move down. Maybe oil it? A burr? Bent or broken spring. Also check to see that the lower pin isnt walking out of the hammer. You are going to have to drop the trigger assembly. I would guess a pin walke or a pring is bound, damaged, missing.

I assume that you have pulled the trigger group out of the gun?

There is the trigger lock lever and spring shown in this diagram https://www.mcarbo.com/mossberg-500-...d-diagram.aspx

I would check to see if the spring is in the correct position and is doing it's job, and if anything like a piece of metal shaving, dirt, unburnt powder, etc. has migrated down in between the parts causing it to hang up. Check for burrs on the metal pieces. Thoroughly clean the area with non chlorinated brake clean and use a light viscosity oil such as Breakfree CLP to lubricate the parts. Heavier oils/greases will thicken in the cold and make moving parts stick.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I'd seriously get ahold of Mossberg.

Armorer classes exist for good reasons.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Pulled the trigger group out. There was a smallish piece of wood embedded in the backside of the hammer. The wood matches the color of the super cheap plug that came with the gun. There is a chip of wood missing from the end of the plug. Picked the piece of wood out and reassembled. (Replaced this ridiculous piece of wood with a plastic rod.) It continues to function correctly so far. Thanks guys!

Oh. As to why I bought gun that had a "feature" that I didn't care for? Well, as in most things in life, everything does not always work out perfectly and so we compromise and make do. In this case, the shotgun was in the configuration I was looking for and I got it at a smoking price. Was hoping the LPD would be a non-factor knowing I could always drop in a different trigger group if it was a showstopper. So far it has not been problematic, but it still strikes me as a huge gimmick and just another potential failure point.

Site Supporter
    As a Mossberg 500 series shooter, I suggest going to an auto parts store and buying a can on non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner. If you already don't have Rem-Oil, while at the parts store buy a can of CRC spray lubricant. This company also makes non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner. Hit the trigger group with the lube and then remove it with the cleaner. Shake dry. Hit it with lube again. Shake dry or blow it out with a hair dryer with heat off. Blot and then reinstall. Because most guns come from the factory dirty or gunked up, this first cleaning step is important. I don't recommend using WD-40.

User Tag List