Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: “SWATING” fatality

I do long for the return to the days when a smack upside the head was an allowed method to remind someone something they just did was really fucking stupid. The mental reboot it created on the recipient (in most cases) seemed to solve most problems.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

"Sadly it is going out of style because ~~feelings~~ but some mistakes should not be made twice."
    While healthcare education has improved in many areas, it appears to be serious lagging behind in some critical aspects because of this issue...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    While healthcare education has improved in many areas, it appears to be serious lagging behind in some critical aspects because of this issue...
    I would be pretty surprised if you hadn't noticed a decline in the quality of the trainees rotating through your practice.

From my perspective, it seems to be largely generational. My matriculating MD class of ~185 had a mean age of 26, and from my anecdotal experience it seemed like the students who were >25 at matriculation still largely do very well with direct feedback. Those <25 ... not so much. On the whole, they seem to have a sense of entitlement and hyper-reactivity to perceived criticism that makes them very difficult to work with. One trainee I know of became deeply indignant when she was yelled at for letting an unauthorized person into the NICU. What the hell!

[quote]"On the whole, they seem to have a sense of entitlement and hyper-reactivity to perceived criticism that makes them very difficult to work with."[/quote

This does indeed occur with greater frequency now than in past decades...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=DocGKR;692803]
    "On the whole, they seem to have a sense of entitlement and hyper-reactivity to perceived criticism that makes them very difficult to work with."[/quote

This does indeed occur with greater frequency now than in past decades...
    Lord knows I had the damndest time getting a 43 year old RN to take some constructive feedback from my young ass.

That said, dating people my age has been a hell of a thing because if I ask what they're planning to do with their life they get all triggered so I see where you're coming from.

I'm too old to be this young.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List