Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: “SWATING” fatality

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I hope so. I wonder if any legal action will happen to the guy who gave the fake address out.
    Hope he has some liability as well. I cant figure out why hed give ANY address to some retard that threatened him, let alone the address of some poor guy that had zero to do with any of it.

This entire thing makes me wonder about humans and their supposed superior intelligence.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-30-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    It should be a felony to "SWAT" someone.

If said someone gets smoked as a result, it should be felony murder.

JMO, IANAL, etc.
    This is, at a minimum, a pretty clear state case of Manslaughter vs. the caller.

Criminal liability vs the guy who gave the fake address will require some additional investigation.

There is a bill pending in Congress to make SWATting and Doxxing federal crimes since they use interstate communication facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is a bill pending in Congress to make SWATting and Doxxing federal crimes since they use interstate communication facilities.
    I hope this happens. We have had a lot of these swatting calls this year with similar kidnapping and active shooter scenarios. Thankfully they were all resolved without issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The "chain of custody" on the original "911" call is jinky as fuck.
    The initial call was not to 911 but to a substation number.
    911 could not verify the reporting number.
    The caller was very specific as to the "crime" but vague on the physical description of the location.

There has to be a way to start screening out spoofed calls, especially calls that are likely to bring down a high risk response.

Call spoofing is probably the biggest problem facing telecom today (scammers and swatters being the worst) and nobody seems to be able to do a fucking thing about it.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    I hope this happens. We have had a lot of these swatting calls this year with similar kidnapping and active shooter scenarios. Thankfully they were all resolved without issue.

I really hope prosecutors go after these cases aggressively. The only way to get it to stop is to start catching these slimy nerds and sending them to prison for extended periods of time. They will not do well in DOC custody and I think they know that too. Make them fear it is a real possibility.

btw: I guarantee foreign and domestic saboteurs/terrorists are taking notes.
    Want to completely fuck over a specific enemy... swat them.
    Want to tie up resources "over there" while you commit your crime "over here"... swat someone.
    Want to sew distrust and drive a wedge between LE and citizenry... swat the hell out of a location and just wait for the fallout.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

What about due diligence of the responding officers?

Admittedly out of my lane, but I checked the rules for this section, and seem to be allowed to participate. Feel free to tell me to FO, but I have some questions on this one.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    btw: I guarantee foreign and domestic saboteurs/terrorists are taking notes.
    Want to completely fuck over a specific enemy... swat them.
    Want to tie up resources "over there" while you commit your crime "over here"... swat someone.
    Want to sew distrust and drive a wedge between LE and citizenry... swat the hell out of a location and just wait for the fallout.
    Point taken. The whole SWAT scam concept gets more displeasing the more I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Hope he has some liability as well. I cant figure out why hed give ANY address to some retard that threatened him, let alone the address of some poor guy that had zero to do with any of it.
    It certainly does seem like it would require a significant lapse in judgment to give out an address at all. I mean, maybe something that is obviously 100% false, like 12345 Unicorn Lane, would be ok, but it does seem like if you have any reasonable idea that the person asking for the address wants to use it for nefarious purposes, then giving out an address that has any possibility of being real would put you in an actionable position.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post

It will be nice to have it on the books but getting the U.S. Attorney to prosecute will be the next challenge.

User Tag List