Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage Dynamics Course

Question Sage Dynamics Course

Has anyone taken ‘Defensive Handgun’ or any other classes from Aaron Cowan? I’d like to take another class, and the range I belong to, which is less than 15:00 from my house, is hosting him in April, for a two-day class, and I wanted to get some feedback on him and his training.

A two-day class so close to home is nice, so any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

I took his "Defensive Handgun" class this past July. Aaron is a good dude, funny and a great instructor. The drill he does at the end of the day of td2 is worth the price of admission. You won't be disappointed, sign up with confidence.

I saw this video, where the beginning looks like ballistic masturbation, in which nobody seems to care where the bullets are going, and thought there are at least 20 other instructors I'd rather spend my money with.

https://youtu.be/u5AEtpVdzCs

Vickers had a phrase he used called "entertrainment".

I have not been to a class with him yet. After hearing good things about him from a Scott Jedlinski post I started checking out his videos. Though I am not a big fan of his personal style, I feel he puts out a lot of solid information and will probably train with him in the future. If he was as close to me as he is to the OP it would be a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I saw this video, where the beginning looks like ballistic masturbation, in which nobody seems to care where the bullets are going, and thought there are at least 20 other instructors I'd rather spend my money with.

After watching that video I won't disagree/argue with you, but will say that is "not" what I experienced in the class I attended.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

I will say I had a similar reaction a few years back when he popped up (that video dates to 2014), but the stuff I've seen from him much more recently seemed to have 'matured' a bit and he does seem to have some interesting things to say. I'm not going to fly cross country to seek out his training just yet but I'll at least listen and see what can be gleaned, and try not to let my original perception bias me too much.

I'll admit, too, that him looking like the singer from Disturbed probably gave me a snap judgement as a goofy gunbro. Nobody looks good with that little soul patch, dude.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 12-30-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I took his carbine class. More emphasis was placed on thinking through problems and identifying important anatomical structures from various angles than precision Marksmanship. I enjoyed the class. I would take another from him.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 12-30-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the videos I’ve seen so far, I think this would be a good class for me. He seems to be very practical, and thorough with whatever he’s teaching.
    I think this will be a fun experience, and the fact that I don’t have to travel, makes it even better!

You will have to let us know how it is. He will be about 30 minutes away from me in May

Quote Originally Posted by Sig66 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Based on the videos I’ve seen so far, I think this would be a good class for me. He seems to be very practical, and thorough with whatever he’s teaching.
    I think this will be a fun experience, and the fact that I don’t have to travel, makes it even better!

I think you're on the mark. Reviewing some of his more recent podcast interviews may get you a head start on his approach and personality. I'm jelly.

User Tag List