Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WA: Supporters turning in signatures to get use of force initiative on ballot

WA: Supporters turning in signatures to get use of force initiative on ballot

MyNorthwest.com: Supporters turning in signatures to get use of force initiative on ballot

Supporters of an initiative to change the state’s use of force law are turning in signatures to get it on next year’s ballot.

The changes would make it easier to charge officers for using deadly force in some instances. But proponents say it will give police officers more tools to handle dangerous situations.

In Washington, a police officer can’t be charged with a crime in deadly force shootings if it’s proved they acted in good faith and without what’s called “evil intent.”

The most controversial provision would remove proving malice as a condition to prosecute officers who misuse deadly force.

Initiative 940 would require de-escalation training for all law enforcement officers. It would also mandate that they provide first aid if they end up shooting someone.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

This will be the tip of the iceberg for citizens determining police policy in WA. I used to creep around on local anti gun and left wing pages before they went to closed group status and this is nothing compared to what the end game is. Cops not carrying guns at all like the UK is one of their goals.

For citizens in a state that considers itself just as hi-tech as CA's silicon valley, those that signed that proposal charged right past stupid and went to full-throttle moron. I'm hoping the citizens of Idaho will help head off the zombie apocalypse and keep them from coming east.

It’s one thing to get a bunch of signatures from progressives in Seattle, quite another to get the voters at large to approve it. I wouldn’t worry about this until it passes, after which there will almost certainly be crippling lawsuits slowing it down.

Their website said polls show 75% polled support it. Laughable, and shows you how out of touch they are. Even in California something this left wing doesn’t get that kind of support.

Not a Washingtonian, but I predict this won’t go far in its current form.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    California also has an initiative process...but fortunately for the legislators, they've just expanded their voting constituents to cover themselves for the crazy they plan. California just extended the franchise to convicted felons, including during their incarceration. Some Pols are already calling them " incarcerated persons". I've repeatedly brought this up to progressive friends and neighbors, and asked what they think it means for the future of public safety in the state that their elected representative will be pandering to criminals for votes? Gonna get what you asked for, California.

Washington, not surprised. Might as well start calling it North California.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    California also has an initiative process...but fortunately for the legislators, they've just expanded their voting constituents to cover themselves for the crazy they plan. California just extended the franchise to convicted felons, including during their incarceration. Some Pols are already calling them " incarcerated persons". I've repeatedly brought this up to progressive friends and neighbors, and asked what they think it means for the future of public safety in the state that their elected representative will be pandering to criminals for votes? Gonna get what you asked for, California.
    How do they reply?

I loved California when I visited, but between the leftism and taxes I couldn't live there. Many seem to think Texas will be the next California. If so I am going to live on the ND prairie with woodchucks and wind chills that will freeze my eyeballs in the socket.

As bad as that bill is, you should read the gun control one that is expected to be in front of our newly D-controled state legislature Q1 of 2018. It’s bad.

I should add that I am born and raised here—with just scattered time living in other states and the mideast. As I approach 50, I’m amazed at the direction my home is heading. I mean, WA state had shall-issue 2 decades before runner-up Indiana, and 25 years before, say, the dakotas and florida. Christ, WA was leading the way 3 decades before Oregon and Idaho on CCW issue.

But now, thanks to the influx of left coast people and ideas into king and surrounding counties, I and others like me are looking at daily and weekly activities—perfectly legal and responsible—becoming class 3 felonies with the opening of the derp faucet, and the stroke of a pen, or keyboard or whatever.

Amazing, really. You other freedom states (and I’m also one including Texas, given that they are currently the top refuge for millionaires/billionaires fleeing leftist state economies) better watch and learn. Some of you are probably old enough to escape personal persecution, but 50 years goes by quickly, and anyone with kids and grandkids better start seeing the big picture, and the bigger culture war.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-29-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    As bad as that bill is, you should read the gun control one that is expected to be in front of our newly D-controled state legislature Q1 of 2018. It’s bad.

I should add that I am born and raised here—with just scattered time living in other states and the mideast. As I approach 50, I’m amazed at the direction my home is heading. I mean, WA state had shall-issue 2 decades before runner-up Indiana, and 25 years before, say, the dakotas and florida. Christ, WA was leading the way 3 decades before Oregon and Idaho on CCW issue.

But now, thanks to the influx of left coast people and ideas into king and surrounding counties, I and others like me are looking at daily and weekly activities—perfectly legal and responsible—becoming class 3 felonies with the opening of the derp faucet, and the stroke of a pen, or keyboard or whatever.

Amazing, really. You other freedom states (and I’m also one including Texas, given that they are currently the top refuge for millionaires/billionaires fleeing leftist state economies) better watch and learn. Some of you are probably old enough to escape personal persecution, but 50 years goes by quickly, and anyone with kids and grandkids better start seeing the big picture, and the bigger culture war.
    The problem is will the refugees learn? Many from Latin America do not learn, so no reason the rich from California should. It's troubling for sure.

Actually weather wise I would pick eastern WA over any state. The dreary rainy days are heaven on earth for me.

Guys:
    As the one who posted this in the LAW ENFORCEMENT FORUM, which I did to give the LEOs a chance to discuss it, perhaps we should move it to GD so everyone could discuss the wider political implications.

Myself, as much as I complain about Seattle liberals ruining the state, I doubt we'll solve anything.

I was more interested in the LEOs thoughts on things like mandating first aid and making it easier to sue them over UOF.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List