Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass for Tikka T3x Lite in 300 win mag

Quote Originally Posted by TiCo View Post
    Thanks for the response!

Yes, mostly hunting.

The guns pretty light so a light weight scope would be nice but not mandatory. Same with low light abilities.

Anything too much over $1200 i’d have trouble explaining to my wife.
    Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 or a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is a great recommendation. I saw one of these land on a rock hard enough to dent the objective bell last October. Of course it lost zero, but a few clicks and it was back in business. The dude called Leupold and they told him they would likely replace the tube for free. Since my Kahles took a dump,(and is still in Austria being fixed at this time), I did a little research and found that the VX5 is also quite a bit lighter than all the other scopes I found in that class. I bought one with the Impact 29 reticle and it's going on my .270 WSM when it gets done at the Smith.

I think it would be a good choice for the Tikka, if it's intended to be a hunting rifle that will be carried a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TiCo View Post
    I got a Tikka T3x lite for Christmas and need suggestions for a scope. The gun is in 300 win mag and has the 620mm (24.3”) barrel. I’ve got a little experience with a Remington 700 and the M3a/MK4 Leupold scope on a work gun. Id like a decent scope but would rather my pants not be takin down over the price. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you intend to be hunting with your T3/.300WM combo, and in what environment/geographical location?

What are your typical ranges you expect shots to be?

Do you normally dial your shots or hold over?

Personally I run a fixed 10X on my T3 .300wm, and it works great in my environment/conditions that I typically employ it in. That said, it may be a very poor choice in many other environments, or for other people.

Details Man! Details!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    What do you intend to be hunting with your T3/.300WM combo, and in what environment/geographical location?

Personally I run a fixed 10X on my T3 .300wm, and it works great in my environment/conditions that I typically employ it in. That said, it may be a very poor choice in many other environments, or for other people.

Details Man! Details!
    We are going to kill an elk in the northern half of New Mexico. The environment is pretty diverse, but nothing you're unfamiliar with.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ve been extremely happy with my Burris XTR 2 3-15x50 FFP Mil/Mil.
    https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...cope-3-15x50mm
    How's the CA/purple fringing on those?

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post

Under $1200 look no further
    https://www.eurooptic.com/RZR-1572-R...-RZR-1572.aspx

Scopes are like anything anything else. Diminishing returns...$1200 puts you in a peculiar spot. I personally would stay under 1k or be willing to go 1700-2000
    I like that one a lot, reminds me of the Henny NH1 I had.

I've been looking for reviews of the Leica ER 5 models.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Details Man! Details!
    Like JDM said, elk in northern NM.

Dial for distance, hold for wind.

You might also take a look at the Bushnell LRHS series as well.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    How's the CA/purple fringing on those?
    Actually quite good. The 3-15x is super bright and crisp. I think it’s equal or better than Razor Gen 1 for sure. Not too heavy either.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Actually quite good. The 3-15x is super bright and crisp. I think it’s equal or better than Razor Gen 1 for sure. Not too heavy either.
    I owned a 5x25 XTR II and in my eyes it had some CA, especially at distance.

I personally wouldn’t call it bright and crisp either, even when compared to the NF SHV line.

The bonus to the XTR II is it tracks CRAZY well and is built very tough (very important in PRS competition, glass clarity not so much) which generally means heavy. Putting a 2lb optic (scopes and rings) on a 7lb rifle doesn’t make sense to me.

It’s also a FFP scope....while I’m a huge fan of FFP (all my scopes but one are FFP) I don’t think I’d recommend it for the OP. FFP requires dedicated practice to master and the rifle he has chosen really isn’t something you want to spend a lot of time practicing with.
    I own several Tikkas, I’m a fan, but a 7lb (ish) 300wm is not something you spend a lot time with sending rounds down range. They have low end stocks with next to nothing for a recoil pad...which means they can knock the piss out of you. Lol
    With a Tikka your paying for the barreled action and trigger, I haven’t seen one that wasn’t .5-.75 moa out of the box with the right ammo and a good shooter on the trigger.

I primarily hunt with a Tikka that has a custom barrel chambered in 270 wsm. About once a month I take it out and shoot out to 500yds in various field positions (off hand, sitting, standing supported). I spend the bulk of my LR shooting with 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges.....I’m recoil sensitive [emoji4]

User Tag List