Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger’s new PCC

The Beretta 92 adapter is getting there, but now I'm having trouble with reliability. It is based on the known-good SIG P320 adapter, but something about Beretta magazine is different and about one in 15 rounds jams. The rim slips under the stripper rail and the bolt overruns the cartridge. At present, I don't have a good idea how to fix this. Beretta magazine fits very poorly already, there's basically no space for further adjustments.

Name:  ru9b_05_jam_1.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  89.1 KB

@zaitcev good luck getting that Beretta adapter going, I am in for one for sure.

I did note that the Security 9 magazine and the PX4 magazine are very similar in shape, just different mag catch locations.

I keep hoping they'll release a non-take down version. My hope is that a non-take down would be lighter but a noticable amount but I guess that might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I keep hoping they'll release a non-take down version. My hope is that a non-take down would be lighter but a noticable amount but I guess that might be wrong.
    I keep hoping they'll make a non-takedown version so they'll put the rear sight on the receiver. Maybe Samson Manufacturing would make a folding stock for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I keep hoping they'll make a non-takedown version so they'll put the rear sight on the receiver. Maybe Samson Manufacturing would make a folding stock for it.
    I want them to do a non-takedown version to eliminate the main cause of issues I've seen it have. Also in the hope it would cut the price by a bit.

I thought it was odd they started off the line with a gimmick like takedown and now we are waiting for a version without it.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I want them to do a non-takedown version to eliminate the main cause of issues I've seen it have. Also in the hope it would cut the price by a bit.

I thought it was odd they started off the line with a gimmick like takedown and now we are waiting for a version without it.
    Yeah the majority of complaints I see about them are people that didn't use the takedown feature properly; i.e. didn't read the manual that you need to tighten that ring every time you put the barrel back on.

You would think they would start with the version that would be in theory easier to design, use less parts and be easier to manufacture but maybe I'm wrong and it isn't easier.

Finally got a conformant prototype of a Beretta adapter that works. Took about a year.

At first I meant to modify the P320 adapter slightly. A production unit is on the right, for reference.

But, that did not work so well. So, I made a few crazy detours, that I described on P-F, and some that I didn't. One version even had a nail involved as an axis for a little see-saw.

After trying all those insane McGyver mechanisms, I came back to modifying P320 adapter yet again. I almost got it working, but it just wasn't reliable enough. The unit in the center is the one that I posted before, with a photo of a jam. BTW, you can see the "snake head" LRBHO transfer bar on it, which also was problematic.

The biggest issue was how upright Beretta magazine is. So, very reluctantly, I set up to re-design the top side: moved the ejector aside, re-done the LRBHO transfer bar to squeeze it between the magazine and Ruger's stop bar, re-profiled overtravel stops. Most importantly, this allowed to make the magazine sitting upright as Beretta intended. That made it work okay, the result is on the left.

It still has issues.

Number one, if the bolt is sitting on its empty stop, the magazine is too far back and the rim of the top cartridge gets pressed in. This is because there's no space to move the magazine forward anymore, but as it's tilted more upright, its top travels to the rear, and now it's gone too far. Oh well, I give up. There's nothing that I can do. It doesn't affect reliability.

Number two, the latch is very low, almost at the magwell entrance. Put a CZ-75 and Beretta magazine side by side and you can see why. But anyway, the problem is, there's no magwell left to guide the magazine in. So as one inserts the magazine, it doesn't go in easily every time. It's easy to get edge of the magazine caught on the latch. This is more substantial and I'm still thinking what to do. I'm considering adding a guide that extends down on one side, like on FN FAL.

Good thing I have a day job. Imagine having an engineer on this project and having to pay $60,000 just to get a known product modified slightly. And it's not even over yet! The goddamn side ejector is bent twice, so we still need a die set for that. And, the LRBHO bar is twisted on the prototype, we're struggling to make a pattern for that either. Without this, we cannot start production in the shop.

Name:  x85_ra9b_07.1200.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  57.5 KB

Site Supporter
    @zaitcev I'm very conflicted here.
    On the one hand, I really want you to succeed with that Beretta mag adapter because it'd be awesome and work perfectly with my existing mountain of Beretta 92 mags, so I'd have to buy one of these Ruger PCC's.

On the other hand, I really fear the day you succeed with the Beretta mag adapter, because then I'll definitely have to buy a Ruger PCC.

... Being P-F, and our penchant for pasta blasters, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy in this paradox right now

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I want them to do a non-takedown version to eliminate the main cause of issues I've seen it have.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    @zaitcev I'm very conflicted here.
    On the one hand, I really want you to succeed with that Beretta mag adapter because it'd be awesome and work perfectly with my existing mountain of Beretta 92 mags, so I'd have to buy one of these Ruger PCC's.

On the other hand, I really fear the day you succeed with the Beretta mag adapter, because then I'll definitely have to buy a Ruger PCC.

... Being P-F, and our penchant for pasta blasters, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy in this paradox right now
    I can always buy some more Glock mags. My reason for holding out is that I really hate it when the barrel starts to fall off. Lots of people have consistent trouble with that, even when they follow the directions.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Once the barrel is properly seated and the nut tightened, I'd think a couple of drops of red loctite would solve the problem without being a permanent alteration. If/when I get enough rounds through mine for it to be an issue I'll give it a try.

I passed on a screaming deal for a Browning ATD with loose barrel because neither I nor the store knew it was a simple fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Don't know why this thought just wandered through my head. (Well, actually I do, but I'm going to spare you all the story.) I googled "ruger pcc red loctite" and came back here. I've said for awhile I wanted Ruger to make a version of the PCC where the barrel loosening wasn't a problem. Thought Loctite might do it. Maybe Rocksett. If Ruger won't "unscrew" themselves and make a fixed barrel version that won't unscrew itself, that doesn't mean someone else can't.

So...didja ever try this?
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Nope, got sidetracked and stuff. The more I think about it, Rocksett might be the The Answer*™ since it's not supposed to be affected by heat.

Once the barrel and nut are set either drop Rocksett into the threads OR pull the barrel and remount with Rocksett like the AR guys do when "bedding" a barrel and upper receiver?
    Quoting myself and OJ just to help keep the train of thought on the tracks.

One of the boys has a welder that will do MIG or flux core. If I wanted to test my theory of setting the barrel and then “permanently” locking the nut in place, which of those methods would be better? Or is it a toss up?

Still toying with the idea of Rocksett as well.

The biggest problem will be burning through enough ammunition to really test the idea. I could just buy a second Ruger or build an AR9 for the cost of the ammunition needed…😳
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List