Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger’s new PCC

Received a shipping e-mail from Parker Mountain Machine today for their PCC MLok rail. Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

New optics mount for Aimpoint.

Wonder how it holds zero if the handguard is removed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Received a shipping e-mail from Parker Mountain Machine today for their PCC MLok rail. Looking forward to seeing how it works out.
    Looking forward to your review!

Site Supporter
    I've seen accessories to make a Ruger look like an 'assault' rifle, modern sports rifle, MSSA with pistol grip, collapsible stock fancy cut out forearm, etc. My question is why? I know folks like to tinker but there are AR - ish 9mms out there. A friend just won a championship with one. I bought the Ruger so it did not look look 'evil'.

I don't get it - but I'm old. I shot a revolver in IDPA this weekend.

A collapsible stock on something that can already be taken apart is...interesting.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    A collapsible stock on something that can already be taken apart is...interesting.
    I see the PCC as being the Mini14 of the 9mm carbine world - it's greatest attribute is the fact that it doesn't scream "military style full-semi-automatic designed only to kill babies assault rifle", so I concur with the skepticism of tacticooling out these guns.

That said - having done the Mini14 thing (and yes - I still like these "fat girls" of the gun world) I will say that the ONLY tacticool feature worth having on a Mini is the folding stock. Be it factory or Butler Creek the side folders on the Mini made for a real compact long gun that could be put into action real quickly and even fired in the shortened form. While the PCC can be broken down to a small size by taking the barrel off - it wont go into action nearly as fast as it will with a folding stock.

A fair point. I've only seen it in PCC competitions, so envisioned it otherwise as dissassembled for a truck gun otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    How did it work out?

Thank you for anything you can share.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    How did it work out?

Thank you for anything you can share.
    No issues with the install;
    In limited use so far it's working out fine. I haven't attached anything to it yet; I'll probably do that in the fall.

I stupidly picked one of these up on a whim without doing my due diligence, and now I don't think I want to hang onto it.

I looked at some Ruger forums and found a lot of people having problems with the guns and stovepipes. It seems that some initially run well and then start to experience an increasing number of problems after the 500-1000 round mark.

It seems that in keeping with its reputation of being a top gun related forum, one of our observant posters figured this out. It is on p. 37 of the manual. I will scan it and post it here

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Mine has 1500-2000 rounds through it thus far. It's been mostly fed Win NATO ball and Gold Dot 124 +P, with a bit of 124 Lawman. Here's what I've figured out:

1. You've gotta do the barrel seating procedure, as described in the manual (loosen nut all the way, install barrel, tighten nut), before firing it. I didn't until I pulled my head out of my ass and read the damn book, after having a half-dozen or so failures to feed or eject in the first few hundred rounds.

2. Once seated correctly, it ran 100% with all ammo and OEM or Magpul mags...for about 300 rounds or so – then I got a stovepipe or two, and the entire forend started to rotate slightly in my hand while firing.

3. Seated the barrel again; back to reliable, smooth sailing – for another 300 rounds or so.

4. Re-seat barrel, etc. etc.

So it apparently beats the barrel loose, leading to malfunctions, after several hundred rounds of high-pressure ammo. It is reliable when properly tightened, and very accurate: I got one-hole, .5" groups at 25 yards with Gold Dot. (By the way, the irons were dialed perfectly for 124 +P right out of the box – no adjustment needed.)

Re-seating the barrel takes only seconds, so it's no inconvenience to do after each range trip. However, I found to my disappointment (but not surprise) that re-seating the barrel caused my Aimpoint zero to wander. This gun is going to be irons only, which is no biggie given the purpose I bought it for (politically correct road trip carbine for states like CA, where I go at least once a year).

If Ruger has an update for these that will prevent this quirk, I'll send it in. Otherwise, it's useful to me as-is. I also added a TLR-7 on the little accessory rail.
    Name:  Ruger Carbine2.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  38.8 KB
    Last edited by Ed L; 07-06-2019 at 02:11 AM.

User Tag List