Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger’s new PCC

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Anyone have luck or issues getting the thread protector off? Unlike the pics, mine is not knurled. Efforts with a rubber strap wrench and a propane torch, even using a chest freezer for barrel + torch for thread protector are unsuccessful so far. I've got it suspended vertically with the thread protector submerged in small glass jar of Kroil at the moment.

Hoping not to destroy it, but not the end of the world if I have to. I could go to peening it a bit with a hammer and/or a pipe wrench or cutting it with a dremel wheel if I HAD to.
    No problem with mine. Bought it second hand and the guy had mounted a rail over the rear sight. I wanted the sight back on and some screws were missing. Called Ruger and they just mailed them out for nothing. Maybe they'd send you a new protector if you had to ugly up yours. I'd file/grind flats on it and hit it with a wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    No problem with mine. Bought it second hand and the guy had mounted a rail over the rear sight. I wanted the sight back on and some screws were missing. Called Ruger and they just mailed them out for nothing. Maybe they'd send you a new protector if you had to ugly up yours. I'd file/grind flats on it and hit it with a wrench.
    That seems less likely to screw something up. I plan to replace it with the KVP Linear Comp shortly, just want to get a can on it at the moment.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Anyone have luck or issues getting the thread protector off? Unlike the pics, mine is not knurled. Efforts with a rubber strap wrench and a propane torch, even using a chest freezer for barrel + torch for thread protector are unsuccessful so far. I've got it suspended vertically with the thread protector submerged in small glass jar of Kroil at the moment.

Hoping not to destroy it, but not the end of the world if I have to. I could go to peening it a bit with a hammer and/or a pipe wrench or cutting it with a dremel wheel if I HAD to.
    Is it possible you got the variant that does not have a threaded barrel?

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine...ets/19101.html
    Last edited by Suvorov; 02-05-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Mine comes off using just my fingers.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I haven't gone full rabbit hole on the PCC, but I haven't seen much discussion of upgrading the iron sights.

I was looking at a PCC at my local big box store, and it occurred to me that this Williams ghost ring element might work in the Ruger's rear sight base:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ku=962-000-082

I find the Williams red front with that ghost ring rear is simple, light, fast and cheap. I like it, and it's become my go-to for long gun sights. In spite of better than 20-20 vision uncorrected, I have a weird optical defect that makes traditional iron sights not work for me.

(They have setups for Remington 700 and 870 factory rifle sights, and it can be pieced together for Marlins.)

Still don't know how to get a FO on the front of the PCC. I suspect a dovetail could be milled in the front sight block, as a non-bolt-on solution.

If anyone felt like picking up one of those ghost rings and reporting on whether it fits, that would be awesome and move me toward jumping in.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Is it possible you got the variant that does not have a threaded barrel?

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine...ets/19101.html
    I think this is the case - It sort-of LOOKS like there is a thread protector, but I think not.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I think this is the case - It sort-of LOOKS like there is a thread protector, but I think not.
    Yeah, it does look like there is a barrel nut there. Ruger ships the threaded barrels with a rubber o-ring to hold the nut in place without having to crank it down.

You might be able to find someone willing to trade you barrels?

Ok, so disregard my grinder/file advice...don't think Ruger will ship you out a barrel because you decided to hit your with a bench grinder.

I have the Taccom mag guide and the oversize bolt handle on mine. I had the extended mag release but it was too easy to bump and drop the mag. I put the original back on. Does anybody make a heavier spring for these?

I have a micro R-1 Aimpoint on it and tonight I installed a TLR-1 and went outside and shot after dark. Doubles on a 16" plate at 25 yards were a piece of cake.

I probably only have about 500 rounds through this but they have been "flawless".

I didn't see it mentioned, but Volksquartzen just announced a 2.5 lb pull drop in trigger group.

User Tag List