Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger’s new PCC

There are mounts that replace the rear sight with a rail. I would think this would eliminate Aimpoint zero wander when reseating.

Rambling Thoughts

I'm now finding this Ruger PCC at the top of my wish list.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  19.1 KB

A quick on-paper comparison to my BCM 16-inch 5.56 carbine;

Cons

• no shorter
    • no lighter
    • less precise
    • less powerful
    • shorter effective range
    • less reliable (?)

Pros

• less muzzle blast
    • inexpensive plinking ammo
    • magazine compatibility with certain handguns
    • 100% New York SAFE Act compliant (non-threaded barrel, 10-round mag version pictured above)

Where I think this carbine would shine is as a less-intimidating, easy-to-use home defense weapon for the non-enthusiast. Even for enthusiasts, the Ruger PCC equipped with a WML and a Glock 33-round magazine loaded with proven 9mm ammo would IMO be prefect for dealing with gremlins who have entered the home uninvited. In my case, the ability to legally transport broken-down in an inconspicuous travel duffel to NY (where an AR or handgun is a no-go) has plenty of appeal. Taking it to the local range where my son in-law is a member would undoubtedly be plenty of fun for all.

If this post sounds like I'm trying to justify an expenditure, you would be correct. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

If this post sounds like I'm trying to justify an expenditure, you would be correct. ;-)

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Once the barrel is properly seated and the nut tightened, I'd think a couple of drops of red loctite would solve the problem without being a permanent alteration. If/when I get enough rounds through mine for it to be an issue I'll give it a try.

I passed on a screaming deal for a Browning ATD with loose barrel because neither I nor the store knew it was a simple fix.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

If you want something to fly under the radar I'd be tempted just to get the regular handguard.

I think it's worth owning. I reload 9mm so I always have ammo around. I don't reload 223 and really don't want to start dealing with the hassle of reloading for rifle.

I think its a great gun for new/newer shooters. The adjustable length stock can be made to fit a lot of people, and it is easily adjustable to left and right handed shooters. The recoil is enough to feel like you're shooting something but it's mild. The report and muzzle blast is significantly less than that of 223.

Street price is pretty similar to 10/22's. If you're not planning on shooting hundreds of rounds the ammo isn't much more either. Magazines are easily available in multiple capacities and cheap.

I haven't seen the reliability issues, I make sure the foreend feels snug when I attach, and I haven't shot hundreds of rounds at a sitting, so maybe I'm just not seeing it, but for my uses I never will.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    If you want something to fly under the radar I'd be tempted just to get the regular handguard.
    Even with the rail, it remains SAFE compliant under the current definitions. A WML would be an important accessory for my intended use and adding one in the spot I want it (around the 10 o'clock position) would be a piece of cake.

I messaged with the person who I thought had found the fix. It turns out that his has become less reliable over time. He thought he had the issues narrowed down to needing to re-seat the barrel every few hundred rounds, but lately had a couple of malfunctions on the first few mags through a freshly-seated barrel.

As I said, from reading various Ruger forums the gun seems plagued with issues that seem to get worse over time. One or two forums had close ups of the extractor, which looked like it was not deep enough. I also thing the desire to produce a take apart gun has led to something that has variable problems with the chamber, making it less reliable. The concept of a 9mm carbine that breaks apart into two pieces is a winner, but the execution causes reliability problems.

I have not fired mine and don't intend to but will instead take a hit and use it to trade toward something else.

As an added bonus, the last time I tried taking it apart and putting it together as illustrated in the manual I had a painful issue. Upon putting it together the bolt slammed forward and the charging handle whacked me on the trigger finger, which was positioned on the barrel forend section. It managed to nail me right on the tip and give me a nasty blood blister, which I drained. It is going to be sore for a while and now hurts when I shoot firearms. Oh well . . .

Site Supporter
    Shot mine at the local carbine match. No troubles. I hope it stays that way.

In any case, the gun might be living in a magazine limiting state in the near future (sigh, long story, family). So what to do with the limit to capacity. I bought one of those Lone Wolf Glock couplers. A friend has one. So mine was no good. The long screw that holds it together wouldn't go all the way through and locked solid as a rock partially in the threads. I sent it back and asked for a replacement that worked. Instead they just sent a refund. Oh, well.

Looked for a stock sleeve for mags but they aren't made anymore. Thus, I go to a local police, tactical store and come up with this:

Name:  Ruger 9.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  25.8 KB

Better than nothing. I used it at the match and it is clumsy. But it is a way to have more rounds available when you pick up the gun. I'm left handed, BTW. The gun has no threads as this makes mankind safe.

I have had mine for a while now with 100's of rounds through it and ZERO problems. It is everyone's in the families favorite rifle to shoot and just keeps chugging away. I am thinking about picking up a second one to leave at my desert house.

Does anybody know if velcro would hold up, say, 2x 15rd Glock mags? Seems to work ok for shotgun side saddles, so maybe that would be a solution to the buttstock mag pouch desires.

User Tag List