Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger’s new PCC

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I am guessing that other modular mag wells can be made by anyone? (Cough cough Magpul cough) And that Beretta 92, Sig, and M&P are soon to follow? That would be amazing...
    That was one of my initial thoughts upon seeing the release. Almost unlimited potential.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    That's an interesting idea. If Ruger would release the data to make the magwell adapter "open source", and the market responded, they'd sell even more of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    I can’t imagine them not offering different magwells with the design they have. I think it’s a matter of when and what they offer
    There would be sunk costs for molds, inventory, etc. for Ruger to make them. Open source or licensing would seem to be a better way to go.....they will sell buttloads more rifles, methinks.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Yeah I am definitely buying one of these.

A friend was nice enough to loan me one of these. I have the carbine now and have played with it a little but have not shot it yet.

The gun is very much a "swelled up" 10/22 in general design and style. The trigger pack appears to be straight off a 10/22 and the safety, bolt catch, etc. is going to be immediately familiar to anyone who owns the 22LR. The barrel pops off the front just like it does on the 10/22 TD although the PCC doesn't come with the little zippered carry bag.

The magazine well insert is pretty easy to change. Take the two allen screws out of the bottom of the stock and remove the action from the stock. Lift the insert up and out of the mag well and drop the new one in. Re-install the action. I have the Glock mag well in the gun now and will probably leave it in when I get to the range since I have more Glock mags than Ruger.

Other stuff? The bolt handle is reversible and can be switched from the right or left side of the gun. Same with the mag release. Both require an allen wrench to switch. So the gun will have some appeal to those who shoot off the "wrong" shoulder but they'll probably still have issues with the safety just as they would with a 10/22, Remington 870, etc.

Overall the little carbine feels fairly solid and looks to be of good quality. It is probably heavier than it should be although nearly all the weight is in the bolt and receiver so the balance doesn't feel off. One complaint is that the comb of the stock seems a bit high for me and I have to cram my face against the stock to get good sight alignment. Speaking of sights; they are mounted to the barrel in a Scout-ish fashion. My guess is that Ruger did this with the idea that each barrel can be individually zero'ed if and when caliber kits become available.

I still have strong doubts about the overall practicality and usefulness of such a carbine when there are some really good values to be had in the AR world and I don't think the gun would be anywhere on my list as a fighting firearm. But, as I've said here before, I have no doubt the gun is a fun and enjoyable plinker.

Depending on what happens this weekend I'll try to get out and shoot this and the new Security 9. Once I've had a chance to shoot I'll post some additional thoughts, if anyone cares. In the meantime, if there are picture requests or anything, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I still have strong doubts about the overall practicality and usefulness of such a carbine when there are some really good values to be had in the AR world and I don't think the gun would be anywhere on my list as a fighting firearm. But, as I've said here before, I have no doubt the gun is a fun and enjoyable plinker.
    I agree fully... but keep in mind:

People in urban areas that are unwilling or unable to find a range that can handle rifle calibers or shotguns. (Claude Werner talks about this in the Atlanta area. There are only so many gun club slots in the suburbs, everyone else has to go to indoor ranges.)

Some of the fastest growing demographics in gun ownership fit this category.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 01-11-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Excellent. Pre-ordered. Thanks, Tom.

I do note a strong double meaning in Ruger's choice of name. Is it "pistol caliber" carbine or "politically correct" carbine?

Ruger has an interesting and simple mag adapter that probably could have very easily been adapted to work in an AR lower and could have sold a complete rifle as well as a conversion kit consisting of a 9mm upper and a mag adapter. The takedown AR format is something Ruger already has so it should have been an easy task to do the same thing in a pistol caliber.

Surely this was all discussed at sales meetings and was dismissed. Ruger decided to make something unique and different. Will it ultimately pay off?

Personally I'd have preferred something based off the AR if for nothing other than familiar design layout. All the stuff that makes the MP15 22 such a fun little gun. But I believe I've said all this before.

Maybe my attitude and opinion will change once I've been to the range and shot the gun a little bit. That's happened before.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I put about 100 rounds through the PCC today. Ammo used was 124 and 160 grain reloads and a few rounds of Speer 124 Gold Dot.

I had one stovepipe during the 2nd mag but no malfunctions afterward. I used factory Glock 19 mags exclusively. Next time I'm out I might use the Ruger mag well instead. Just to see what difference that makes.

I don't really know what to say about the gun. It is okay but nothing extra. Recoil is weird because the balance of the gun is slightly behind the mag well. The bolt is pretty heavy and, with the slightly rearward balance point, the gun seems to have more recoil than I think it should. Not recoil like shooting a lightweight 30-06 deer rifle but recoil in the sense that it is hard to keep sights on target.

Another complaint that doesn't help is that the comb of the stock is too high for me. Or the sights are too low. In any case, I have to cram my cheekbone down against the comb of the stock to look through the sights. This is rather uncomfortable. Not painful just unpleasant.

I fired the gun from a cross legged seated position for group at fifty yards and had no problem keeping my reloads inside the -0 circle on an old IDPA target. I'm sure the gun will shoot better with an optic.

It really is nothing more than a big 10/22. Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that it'll run on Glock mags I don't think anyone would be even talking about it.

Here is a pic of the rifle and one of me on the range...[emoji16]

This is the perfect “California Carbine” with all the AR15 hassles... This gun will sell by the truckloads here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    This is the perfect “California Carbine” with all the AR15 hassles... This gun will sell by the truckloads here.
    Yep.

“It really is nothing more than a big 10/22. Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that it'll run on Glock mags I don't think anyone would be even talking about it.“

No problem, send every single one to the ban states...

User Tag List