Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1911 thumb safety vs finger off trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    The reason it is taught that way is the mechanical safety is only coming off because the decision to fire has been made and that is (generally) where one will shoot from if having to work out of the retention position. My "clear" and "rotate" take place higher up because my retention position is higher up. If drawing to the ready, regardless of which one, which indicates the decision to fire has not yet been made, the safety stays on until that decision is made and the pistol comes on the threat, target, etc.

Whether the support hand is flat on the torso or in contact with it and fingers entended (I see both), the muzzle rotating up should not be crossing ones fingers, hand. Have yet to see anyone ND into the fingers, hand at this point; yet, I just saw another guy who shot himself in the hand after disassembling his Glock.
    I get all that. My point was to elaborate upon what I experienced when I really pushed myself to an extreme. I was trying to faster and faster until the wheels fell off. I felt I had reached that point when my hands got out of sync.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    the safety stays on with thumb resting on top...
    I wanted to cut this down, to specifically emphasize this point. For me, the 1911 safety is on, until I go to press the gun out, the safety comes off as my support hand palm wraps around the grip*. BUT my thumb is riding the safety from the moment I get a master grip on the gun, when the gun is still in the holster. The reason for this is two-fold. 1) I have a tactile register point that tells me my grip is "correct", when I ride the safety. 2) I can remove the safety and fire from the "2" position without issue.

*If both hands come together in low ready, then safety stays on, until somewhere in the 5-10 degree range of the press-out. I can work the safety with both hands registered on the gun and finger on the frame or on the ejection port.

If you guys cannot swipe the safety down, while holding the gun with two hands - you need to address this, in my opinion. The gun should be optimized to function with the master grip and capable of being operated one-handed. Thinner or thicker grips? Different angle on the safety? There are so many 1911 parts, find the combo that works correctly (read: the combo that allows you to manipulate the safety with a two-handed grip).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    ...BUT my thumb is riding the safety from the moment I get a master grip on the gun, when the gun is still in the holster.
    I've always considered this a key point in 1911 gun handling. Ed Head talks about it in the above video.

I've been on several forums, and the constant comments from the typical non-1911 fan about the "I'll never use a gun with a manual safety for personal defense because in the heat of battle I'll forget to disengage the safety", are probably because they don't always have their thumb on the thumb safety from the time they get a grip on the holstered gun. If you're always on the safety, I think it is less likely you'll forget to either disengage or engage it when appropriate.

This problem seems to have increased as the size of sweat shields have gotten bigger and bigger, as folks have searched for more and more comfort from their holsters with less concern for draw and reholstering functions. These holsters make it difficult to get to the thumb safety while the gun is holstered.

For instance, Todd's post in pistol-training.com http://pistol-training.com/archives/9692

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    This problem seems to have increased as the size of sweat shields have gotten bigger and bigger, as folks have searched for more and more comfort from their holsters with less concern for draw and reholstering functions. These holsters make it difficult to get to the thumb safety while the gun is holstered.
    I carry a 1911 in a JMCK AIWB holster with a full guard. The top ridge of the guard actually provides a nice place to index my thumb during the draw. When I establish my grip I place my thumb on that ridge -- then as I draw, my thumb naturally transitions to the safety because of the positioning. This is consistently repeatable and for me it is a better method than trying to place my thumb directly on the safety before the draw begins. Of course this is user and holster specific.

Site Supporter
    If I have made the decision to shoot, my 1911 safety comes off with a gun at about a 45° angle pointed downward, after it has clearly cleared the holster and is pointed nowhere near me, but early enough to ensure the safety is off by the time the gun comes to a pectoral index. If I have not made the decision to shoot, the safety stays on safe. In all cases, the safety comes off well before my finger enters the trigger guard. My thumb rides the safety the entire time if I am using two handed grip, but with a one hand grip, my thumb comes off the safety as soon as the safety is off. I was also taught that the safety goes back on safe when not aiming at a target.

I do not find that a sweat shield interferes with my draw, and prefer it to prevent unintentionally deactivating a single side thumb safety. With an ambi safety, I use a holster made by Matt Del Fatti with what would normally be a sweat shield modified and reinforced to hold the safety on safe.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 01-05-2018 at 01:11 AM.

I like this post.

I am actually returning to 1911 duty carry after parking it around 2012. My assignment changed (IA) and had some surgeries and driving a desk... the lighter Glock seemed to make more sense. 2018 is the year of 1911 for me and having snags with my grip (I have ALOT of draws with a G17/19).

I did not realize that for me and due to hand size.....the thumb safety has to come off prior to hand smack (support hand grip). I have long arms, large hands and long fingers (get made fun of a lot) and my support hand is blocking the bottom side of the thumb safety. I do not get a comfortable "snick" if I depress the thumb safety post full support hand grip.

So, when I was practicing dry fire from the holster....I broke it down when do I actually depress the thumb safety. My muzzle is in the high 90% almost parallel with the ground and my support hand has already started to grip but prior to full support.... the safety goes "snick". I tried it post full support hand....I do not get the audible "snick" due to hand interference.

It also made me realize if my support hand is blocking the thumb safety, how do I return to safe with a 2 handed grip. I broke that down and w/o even thinking about it....instinctively the top portion of my support hand rolled out of the way just enough for my primary hand thumb to engage the thumb safety.

Most of my draws will be out of a Safariland 6360 or a 7378 and the pressing of the ALS device does not lend itself well to a 1911 thumb safety, but I slowed down enough to just ride the safety lever and only depress when the muzzle is nearing the target intention.

thanks for the information
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I like this post.

I am actually returning to 1911 duty carry after parking it around 2012. My assignment changed (IA) and had some surgeries and driving a desk... the lighter Glock seemed to make more sense. 2018 is the year of 1911 for me and having snags with my grip (I have ALOT of draws with a G17/19).

I did not realize that for me and due to hand size.....the thumb safety has to come off prior to hand smack (support hand grip). I have long arms, large hands and long fingers (get made fun of a lot) and my support hand is blocking the bottom side of the thumb safety. I do not get a comfortable "snick" if I depress the thumb safety post full support hand grip.

So, when I was practicing dry fire from the holster....I broke it down when do I actually depress the thumb safety. My muzzle is in the high 90% almost parallel with the ground and my support hand has already started to grip but prior to full support.... the safety goes "snick". I tried it post full support hand....I do not get the audible "snick" due to hand interference.

It also made me realize if my support hand is blocking the thumb safety, how do I return to safe with a 2 handed grip. I broke that down and w/o even thinking about it....instinctively the top portion of my support hand rolled out of the way just enough for my primary hand thumb to engage the thumb safety.

Most of my draws will be out of a Safariland 6360 or a 7378 and the pressing of the ALS device does not lend itself well to a 1911 thumb safety, but I slowed down enough to just ride the safety lever and only depress when the muzzle is nearing the target intention.

thanks for the information
    Does the ALS lead to taking the safety off too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Does the ALS lead to taking the safety off too soon?
    The potential is there. When I started using the 6360 with my MCOP, I was depressing the thumb safety as my thumb continued from the ALS lever. I also trimmed the excess kydex by the ALS lever as it directed my thumb away in an awkward manner.

I had to consciously think about not depressing the thumb safety while coming out of the holster. It did take me some repetitions but now my thumb stops directly over the engaged thumb safety.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 01-12-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

How LAV does it:

User Tag List