Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta slides breaking are common?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Is a brigadier slide worth it for the beretta M9 series?
    My understanding is the Brig slide was intended to add mass /weight to the slide to compensate for .40 cal similar to SIGs transition to one piece stainless slides for the 226/229 .40.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Thanks, I never knew that. I thought Beretta ended up suing the government for blaming the slide failures on bad metallurgy and was awarded a financial settlement. Do you know if that’s true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beretta did sue the Army, and there was a settlement paid out to Beretta.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    Beretta did sue the Army, and there was a settlement paid out to Beretta.
    ...se the bad metallurgy is true or not???

As an illustration to how absurd the story about Beretta 92 slides breaking got... In 1991, I was in a state law enforcement academy. Our class was the first for the agency to be trained on the 92FS. The joke at the time was the FS was the "new model" with an air bag. The department armorer told us that it was all on the SEALs as they, in an effort to get more performance out of the 9MM, were using C4..... yes the explosive, instead of powder, as the propellant. That story "came direct from "Beretta". People embellish crap all the time. I hate people.

Is a brigadier slide worth it for the beretta M9 series?
    For durability - no; for balance and recoil mitigation - absolutely.

I don’t alway shoot Berettas but when I do they are BrigTacs or CenTacs....
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb4c View Post
    There are several high-volume Beretta guys on this forum who will hopefully chime in, but I know there are a lot of 92s with high round counts out there. I think I remember reading that Ernest Langdon expects ~50k out of a standard 92 (and I would absolutely take his word for it). There's also that "high round count pistol observations" thread on arfcom where the guy has a standard-slide 92FS break after 100,000+ on his rental range.
    Here's Ben Stoeger talking about his round counts on his Berettas he used. Like Langdon, I highly doubt Stoeger is lying about his round count.

Chris Bartocci has a great video about what happened:

Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 12-26-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    Here's Ben Stoeger talking about his round counts on his Berettas he used. Like Langdon, I highly doubt Stoeger is lying about his round count.

All those are Brigadier slides.

...se the bad metallurgy is true or not???
    Not that I ever heard. I do know that the first batches of M882 ammo that the Army procured was basically all proof loads. Beretta got some of the sample ammo and the pressure as off the chart. The Army later admitted this and all the slides that cracked used this overpressure ammo. There was a fairly large settlement paid out to Beretta after the lawsuit.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Site Supporter
    B92 slide deficiency issue rumors should have died out before some here were born. The internet raises them from the dead. I don't deny that some slides did break early in the game. Between Beretta and the military, I think that the 92FS model is the most systematically studied handgun in the world. They work.
    Last edited by willie; 12-26-2017 at 11:53 AM.

User Tag List