Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta slides breaking are common?

Current production 92 series slides are extremely durable; Brigadier slides are ridiculously durable. I have a couple of 92s approaching 60,000 rounds; no issues.
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-26-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Lack of PMI will cause issues with any tool.

Proper PMI will lead to 100k+ out of a 92, as has been shown with Battlefield Vegas' box stock police trade in 92FS rental gun. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ions/4-160140/
    Last edited by e_stern; 12-26-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    Used to make pasta, now I make waffles.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That was Berettas story at the time. The GAO determined the actual cause was bad metallurgy. Basically bad batch of slides made with French steel contaminated with Tellurium.

https://www.gao.gov/products/T-NSIAD-88-46
    Thanks, I never knew that. I thought Beretta ended up suing the government for blaming the slide failures on bad metallurgy and was awarded a financial settlement. Do you know if that’s true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Current production 92 series slides are extremely durable; Brigadier slides are ridiculously durable. I have a couple of 92s approaching 60,000 rounds; no issues.
    In 1996, the Army, conducted their Continued Assurance Test (CAT) of the M9 Pistol . In this test, 129 weapons were successfully fired to the 30,000 round mark. Four slides were pushed beyond the 30,000 limit. They averaged 75,250.

The Army fired more than 3 million rounds through the weapons.

When we issued 96D Brigadiers I saw and personally experienced many small parts failures but never saw or heard of a slide failure, even using hot 155 grain .40.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-26-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Thanks, I never knew that. I thought Beretta ended up suing the government for blaming the slide failures on bad metallurgy and was awarded a financial settlement. Do you know if that’s true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not to my knowledge.

Is a brigadier slide worth it for the beretta M9 series?

French steel
    French steel can be of very high quality. Heckler & Koch uses steel from Aubert & Duval, a French producer of special steel.

fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch:
    Depuis les années 1970, les canons de la totalité des armes de guerre fabriquées par H&K sont usinés dans des barreaux d'acier provenant de l'entreprise française Aubert et Duval.
    Google translation:
    Since the 1970s, the [barrels] of the totality of the weapons of war manufactured by H & K are machined in bars of steel coming from the French company Aubert and Duval.
    static.hkpro.com/straightgrain/docs/TheHKDecades.pdf, p. 52:
    Shows a picture from inside the HK factory captioned with:
    Aubert Duval barrel steel blanks
    (Writing this as a German, by the way.)
    Last edited by P30; 12-26-2017 at 11:23 AM.

In 1996, the Army, conducted their Continued Assurance Test (CAT) of the M9 Pistol . In this test, 129 weapons were successfully fired to the 30,000 round mark. Four slides were pushed beyond the 30,000 limit. They averaged 75,250.

The Army fired more than 3 million rounds through the weapons.
    Your knowledge base in these matters is astounding - thank you. I’ve had these two pistols since I turned 21 back in the early 90s. I used them largely to train up for deployments between 1995-2012 since I generally used Glocks outside of the military. They rarely get shot now. Ironically, I even bought 2 Vertec slides last month when they went on sale. My plan was to convert them to G controls with AmeriGlo sights and let my son have them in a few years. Once again, thank you for the knowledge bomb.
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-26-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I'll admit, the first thing I did after reading the OP, was to check the date of the post. This seems like a question from 20 years ago. Of course, the M9/92 did seem to go through a period of lack of popularity when Glock's and other polymer guns took over the scene, and maybe the guys on the other forum just haven't paid attention to Beretta's in a long time.

Here's a Ben Stoeger video from when he was shooting Beretta's "A Few Hundred Thousand Rounds Later"

Ernest Langdon "92FS/M9 Series Design Features"

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Is a brigadier slide worth it for the beretta M9 series?
    My understanding is the Brigadier was designed for the .40 S&W guns, but just tagged along for the 9mm versions. It stuck around because some like the heavier slide, but is not really needed for 9mm.

I shoot a Turkish 92 clone that is an older 92 style without the enlarged hammer pin.

So far I haven’t lost any teeth from the slide spontaneously exploding.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List