Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Beretta slides breaking are common?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    My Beretta 92G slide just cracked*!

*Cracked open a beer after sighting in a variety of handloads (titegroup, win231, Accurate #2) and bullet weights.

Cheers, everyone!

(I'm going to stay with the Win231... Just so soft in 147...)
    This made me laugh. Also, isn't Blue Moon twist off?

For those who missed it:

http://instagram.com/p/B7YvwScpqSN/

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 01-16-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Cracked 92f Slide - how/should I replace it?

I bought a used duty 92f in 1995 for $200. I put 300-500 rounds per week in it until 2014 when the slide cracked. The crack is on the slide lock side just above the slide release lever. This is at the front part of the thin section where the locking block catches the slide.

Is this worth fixing? How do I fix it? If I buy a slide from Beretta do I need a gunsmith to fit it to the frame? Will the fix be an "f" or an "fs"? Beretta said they would fix it for $300 is that worth it? If I fix it should I keep the locking block or replace it with a newer generation - it has the square cut block.

I'd appreciate information you have about how to fix this.

Thanks,

Steve

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by SKMark View Post
    I bought a used duty 92f in 1995 for $200. I put 300-500 rounds per week in it until 2014 when the slide cracked. The crack is on the slide lock side just above the slide release lever. This is at the front part of the thin section where the locking block catches the slide.

Is this worth fixing? How do I fix it? If I buy a slide from Beretta do I need a gunsmith to fit it to the frame? Will the fix be an "f" or an "fs"? Beretta said they would fix it for $300 is that worth it? If I fix it should I keep the locking block or replace it with a newer generation - it has the square cut block.

Thanks,

Steve
    For $300, I'd just save another $300-500 and get a 92X, M9A3, or Langton 92G Elite LTT.

300-500 rounds per week for nearly two decades sounds like you got your moneys worth out of it and then some. Treat yo'self and upgrade.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SKMark View Post

Thanks,

Steve
    Have you contacted Beretta ?

300 rounds per week is 15,600 rounds per year, over 19 years that is 296,400 rounds.

What was your maintenance schedule during this time ? How often did you change recoil springs, locking block, trigger return springs ?

9mm ball ammo was approximately $200 per 1,000 prior to the current panic, that is $59,200 worth of ammo.

i think if you are reporting accurately, or even if you shot 1/10th what you reported, say 29,000 rounds over 19 years / $6k worth of ammo, you should just buy a new Beretta 92 for $600 or $800 considering the cost of the ammo needed to break your last one. If you have never changed the recoil spring or locking block it is the equivalent of buying a new car, never doing an oil change and driving it until the engine seizes. If that is the case, while the slide may have cracked first, the frame has been taking a beating too and you would be better off with a whole new gun.

Normally 92 slides do not need to be fitted but if the slide cracked due to not changing the recoil spring the frame is suspect. If you do just replace the slide I would certainly go with the current (3rd) generation locking block.

If you don't do preventive maintenance, particularly recoil spring changes, any service pistol slide or frame will eventually crack but that's not really what this thread is about. For Beretta 92/86 series guns add locking blocks to that list. locking blocks should be changed every 20,000 rounds, 25,000 for the current 3rd generation locking block, recoil springs should be changed every 5,000 rounds in 92 series guns.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-24-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

When we issued 96D Brigadiers I saw and personally experienced many small parts failures but never saw or heard of a slide failure, even using hot 155 grain .40.

If USBP didn't break slides running the 96D with 155gr ammo I can't see the slides breaking in 9mm. We broke frames (in a couple different places) locking blocks and a few other parts. Plus had a couple versions of trigger spring that always seemed to break.

With that all said, the BP and INS guns were the Brigadier model with the reinforcements in the slide.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Is a brigadier slide worth it for the beretta M9 series?
    I would say yes. Insurance if nothing else.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    If USBP didn't break slides running the 96D with 155gr ammo I can't see the slides breaking in 9mm. We broke frames (in a couple different places) locking blocks and a few other parts. Plus had a couple versions of trigger spring that always seemed to break.

With that all said, the BP and INS guns were the Brigadier model with the reinforcements in the slide.

I personally broke one standard trigger spring and saw a couple others go.

Did you ever break one of the wolff coil springs ?

As I posted up thread, the GAO found Beretta had a batch of slides sourced from France with bad metallurgy which resulted in 3 M9's failing in training use by NSW and 11 more failing in testing that resulted from the three original failures.

Beretta tried to deny responsibility by blaming NSW's ammo in lieu of their bad metallurgy. 14 slides and Beretta's "SIG like" failure to accept responsibility for a one time defect has spun into the giant derp-nado of Beretta slide breakage bullshit we still hear today about how some gun shop commando's uncle got skull fucked by a broken Beretta slide while he was a drummer boy during desert storm.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-24-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have seen B92 surplus slides for sale occasionally. Before I spent $300 to repair a worn B, I would buy a new one. But I would investigate having the cracked slide fixed by welding. Don't overlook shipping costs.

Numrich has your part new for $208 as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I personally broke one standard trigger spring and saw a couple others go.

Did you ever break one of the wolff coil springs ?

As I posted up thread, the GAO found Beretta had a batch of slides sourced from France with bad metallurgy which resulted in 3 M9's failing in training use by NSW and 11 more failing in testing that resulted from the three original failures.

Beretta tried to deny responsibility by blaming NSW's ammo in lieu of their bad metallurgy. 14 slides and Beretta's "SIG like" failure to accept responsibility for a one time defect has spun into the giant derp-nado of Beretta slide breakage bullshit we still hear today about how some gun shop commando's uncle got skull fucked by a broken Beretta slide while he was a drummer boy during desert storm.
    I broke a standard spring and saw quite a few break. It was so common we taught agents to manually flick the trigger forward so they would know how to keep shooting if the spring broke in a gunfight. We also taught turning the pistol upside down if the trigger bar spring broke.

I don't recall ever seeing a Wolff spring break. That's the one with the built-in guide rod? The problem with that one was the assembly could pop out of alignment inside the gun and bind the whole thing up. I never saw it happen but it could lock the trigger up completely if it happened.

Breaking locking blocks locked the gun up good too. I saw a couple of those break. Beretta finally fixed that with Version C.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I broke a standard spring and saw quite a few break. It was so common we taught agents to manually flick the trigger forward so they would know how to keep shooting if the spring broke in a gunfight. We also taught turning the pistol upside down if the trigger bar spring broke.

I don't recall ever seeing a Wolff spring break. That's the one with the built-in guide rod? The problem with that one was the assembly could pop out of alignment inside the gun and bind the whole thing up. I never saw it happen but it could lock the trigger up completely if it happened.

Breaking locking blocks locked the gun up good too. I saw a couple of those break. Beretta finally fixed that with Version C.

Yes the Wolff with the guide rod, I never saw one bind up.

I also broke a locking block and blew out an extractor.

User Tag List