Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta slides breaking are common?

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I've also heard good things about the Mec-Gar 92 magazines; from you and others I respect, on this forum and elsewhere. While I've never used their 92 magazines, other Mec-Gars have been excellent (except for the follower they use on their proprietary after-market magazine for the Hi Power, but their FN contract magazines/followers are excellent). Their basepad appears to be pretty humongous though. The taper looks both effective and interesting, but I've never had any issues with reloads with both Check-Mate and/or Beretta/MDS magazines (Conversely, Hi Power reloads are notoriously difficulty-fraught, given the square magazine front, limited taper, and square unbeveled receiver magazine well).

Best, Jon
    I certainly wouldn't extend my endorsement of Mec-Gar's 18 round Beretta magazines to cover any of the other magazines they make. I simply don't have the first hand experience. Mec-Gar makes so many magazines for so many different firearms, and I'm sure some work better than others. For example, you mentioned the Mec-Gar for the Browning Hi-Power; I also don't like the compromises to the follower Mec-Gar made to expand the capacity to 15 rounds, and wouldn't recommend that particular magazine.

Generally, I recommend folks stick with OEM pistol magazines whenever possible. I wrote my original review of the Beretta magazines because I looked down one day and realized I had accumulated six different magazines for the 92, and they were not performing equally. That was quite different from my extensive Glock experience; I had only purchased Glock OEM magazines, and aside from some minor generational evolutions, they all performed identically. My experience with Beretta 92 magazines is quite unusual in that I concluded that the aftermarket magazine solution is actually superior.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've known E-1s who were squared away and flag officers who couldn't find their ass with both hands on their best day.
    Yes, but usually such a flag/general officer will be a wizard at Beltway cocktail parties and is on a first-name basis with important politicians so it isn't like they can't do anything right.

However, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to take any advice from those flag officers on small arms. Hors d'oeuvres? Sure. But not M9's.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I certainly wouldn't extend my endorsement of Mec-Gar's 18 round Beretta magazines to cover any of the other magazines they make. I simply don't have the first hand experience. Mec-Gar makes so many magazines for so many different firearms, and I'm sure some work better than others. For example, you mentioned the Mec-Gar for the Browning Hi-Power; I also don't like the compromises to the follower Mec-Gar made to expand the capacity to 15 rounds, and wouldn't recommend that particular magazine.

Generally, I recommend folks stick with OEM pistol magazines whenever possible. I wrote my original review of the Beretta magazines because I looked down one day and realized I had accumulated six different magazines for the 92, and they were not performing equally. That was quite different from my extensive Glock experience; I had only purchased Glock OEM magazines, and aside from some minor generational evolutions, they all performed identically. My experience with Beretta 92 magazines is quite unusual in that I concluded that the aftermarket magazine solution is actually superior.
    I really wanted to like the Checkmate 92 magazine, as I found their 1911 magazines to be rock solid. Unfortunately, I bought four of them and none of them would lock the slide back on empty. I replaced the springs and they've functioned fine since, but any cost savings was eliminated by the cost of the new spring. So I gave up on CMI. I have around twenty of the Mec-Gar 18 rounders, as well as a few 20 and they've all been outstanding. A friend gave me a couple of Airtronics mags he'd received from his nephew in the Army, now talk about junk...........
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I really wanted to like the Checkmate 92 magazine, as I found their 1911 magazines to be rock solid. Unfortunately, I bought four of them and none of them would lock the slide back on empty. I replaced the springs and they've functioned fine since, but any cost savings was eliminated by the cost of the new spring. So I gave up on CMI. I have around twenty of the Mec-Gar 18 rounders, as well as a few 20s and they've all been outstanding. A friend gave me a couple of Airtronics mags he'd received from his nephew in the Army, now talk about junk...........
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I was serving in the USAF when the slides broke. Our were tagged and pulled from service at varying round counts as info came down. Ended up at 1K before that was stopped.

As I remember it... 4 broke w the USN, 2 w the USA, and 12 in testing. Round counts were from just under 5K to just over 30K. All were made in Italy.

Early Win ammo had some problems. The pressure was sometimes measured at the case mouth, other times mid-case. Oops.

Slide failures ceased for a long time. IIRC there were 4 more, a couple broke at LAFB, TX w USMC doing LE training there, a couple at Ft Benning.

I worked w a guy who was in the JSSAP in the 70s/80s that resulted in the M9 trials and selection. The pistols were tested to 7K rounds and only had to make it to 5K to pass. All the Berettas passed and made it to 7K. All the SIGs made it to 5K, all cracked frames by 7K. The frame was the only part w a contract specified servce life, and it was for 5K. Never a problem w that. At the time, 5K was good for 40 yrs at "normal usage rates".

The local base never broke a slide, never broke a block under 15K the 30 yrs they used them. They just got some M17/18s.

FWIW, I was issued the M15 (38 revolver), M1911A1, M9 and M11. The 1911s were match guns, and mine was a Remington. I remember having fewer problems with the M9/11 than that 1911, but most of the parts on them were older than I was by the time I got it. More problems w the M15s than any of the semis.

I've cut way back on guns lately. I've kept a GP100, SA 1911, Moss SG. Will pick up a B92 soon.

I found Checkmate magazine springs lost their strength quickly, finish notwithstanding.
    After 12 years of continual use on several of their magazines, and 10+ years on others with no issues, I'm strongly suspecting this is another internet urban myth-or said magazines had their springs physically stretched by some ignorant enterprising souls who's "heard" that that was a good technique to do...compounded on top a likely lack of organizational and/or individual maintenance of their Berettas in general...

Not saying it totally didn't happen, but unless I hear that it happened to specific individuals who owned or had total control and/or possession of their M9 Check-Mate magazines, I'm VERY suspect of the veracity of this.

Best, Jon

Different people have different experiences and they are often under specific circumstances. I ran a S&W 1911 E series in USPSA. The OEM mags worked great when I practiced at my local gun range before I actually started shooting it in USPSA. I put allot of rounds through that gun with those mags and not a single issue but that changed when I took it to matches. When I started dropping the mags in the sand during a stage and then reloaded for the next stage, the gun started choking. I ended up going to Chip McCormick 1911 mags and no more issues. My first experience with S&W OEM mags was very different then using them in matches.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    After 12 years of continual use on several of their magazines, and 10+ years on others with no issues, I'm strongly suspecting this is another internet urban myth-or said magazines had their springs physically stretched by some ignorant enterprising souls who's "heard" that that was a good technique to do...compounded on top a likely lack of organizational and/or individual maintenance of their Berettas in general...

Not saying it totally didn't happen, but unless I hear that it happened to specific individuals who owned or had total control and/or possession of their M9 Check-Mate magazines, I'm VERY suspect of the veracity of this.

Best, Jon
    Seems like you and I have covered this ground before, and earlier in this very necro-thread, so I'm not sure why we're revisiting this. I documented my personal experience with the Checkmate magazines several times, and I am not repeating any "internet urban myth". I understand you have a relationship with Checkmate and have had good experience with their magazines. I did not. I standby my previous comments. I see no reason to choose a Checkmate magazine over the Mec-Gar AFC, or Beretta OEM for that matter. There is a reason that there are Beretta branded 18 round Mec-Gar magazines on the way.

I respectfully disagree. Having found the Mec-Gar 18 round magazines (in the OEM guise) for $16/each in the past, I see no reason to use either Checkmate or Beretta OEM magazines. The Beretta OEM PVD 15 round magazines are excellent but overpriced, and as I commented previously, I've consistently broken the base pads on Beretta 17 round magazines. The Mec-Gar 18 round Anti-Friction magazines are affordable, reliable, and enjoy higher capacity.

As for Checkmate (CMI) magazines, I posted this review earlier, and I stand by my original comments, copied below...

I originally acquired four (new in wrapper) of the military issue CMI magazines in a trade when I purchased my M9. All were 2005 manufacture with the dry film coating. Obviously considering my less than stellar experience with the plastic floor plate on the Beretta 17 round magazines, the metal floor plate on the CMI magazines is a welcome feature. Unfortunately, these magazines often produce failures to lock back in both the M9 and the Brigadier Tactical. CMI has a lifetime warranty on the magazines and quickly replaced the first two that had developed problems, as well as providing new springs and followers for the other two magazines. The new magazines have not been much of an improvement, and also have occasional failures to lock back on an empty magazine. As such, I've also relegated the CMI magazines to range use only. While I was pleased with CMI's customer service, there are better options.
    I've posted this previously and I maintain my recommendation...
    Seems like a lot of "internet urban myth" going around...

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I really wanted to like the Checkmate 92 magazine, as I found their 1911 magazines to be rock solid. Unfortunately, I bought four of them and none of them would lock the slide back on empty. I replaced the springs and they've functioned fine since, but any cost savings was eliminated by the cost of the new spring. So I gave up on CMI. I have around twenty of the Mec-Gar 18 rounders, as well as a few 20s and they've all been outstanding. A friend gave me a couple of Airtronics mags he'd received from his nephew in the Army, now talk about junk...........
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 01-12-2020 at 09:14 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Nevermind, I just realized this is an old thread and I said exactly the same thing again. I'm getting senile in my old age.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TCinVA; 01-12-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    3/15/2016

Yeah, this one's been pretty flogged. Thanks for your comments, JS Glock34; when I posted earlier this morning, I didn't initially realize that it was an old thread that I/we had previously contributed on.

However, another point of interest is that in his evaluation and critique of Beretta 92 magazines, Ernest Langdon's comparative criticism of them had to do with their floorplates being susceptible to bending at the front, and potentially having the folded edges used to fit on the tube flange rail becoming deformed (personally of which while I can acknowledge the possibilities of, but haven't ever experienced)-not the springs; he mentioned nothing about spring issues with them.

And while I have a long-standing association with Check-Mate, I'm pretty brutally objective and forthright about what I encounter with them or any other piece of kit or platform. Objectivity and experience is one of the things that almost singularly distinguishes pistol-forum from other forums.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-12-2020 at 10:55 AM.

User Tag List