Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .44 special

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The 44 spl revolver is a fine gun, but it would be an excentric/hipster's gun.
    Watch it, youngster. <pats his M21-4>

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    And, if you want to be a real hipster get a 41 Rem Mag...
    See above. <pats his 4" nickle M57 no-dash>

Thanks for all of the responses. Yes I will be reloading, as a matter of fact I just bought a die set for the caliber . I know its putting the cart before the horse, but I will have ammo to shoot when I have the gun. It is very cold up here in Northern New York plenty of time for reloading. Owning a gun would be no fun with out reloading. I will reload only lead, I am a old dinosaur what can I say.

Here's a source for some really nice cast bullets.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/s...caliber=44-Mag

The 255gr Authentic Keith, ordered to fit my GP100 cylinder throats, is probably the most accurate heavy bullet I've found for this particular revolver.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have one also, and if 44 Special is the primary focus, this might be an interesting alternative.
    Full Magnum loads are a handful in it though, or I am getting older...
    Yeah, magnums in the 69 feel good to stop shooting, especially with smaller grips like I prefer. My plan is to load special level loads in magnum cases to prevent carbon rings.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. Yes I will be reloading, as a matter of fact I just bought a die set for the caliber . I know its putting the cart before the horse, but I will have ammo to shoot when I have the gun. It is very cold up here in Northern New York plenty of time for reloading. Owning a gun would be no fun with out reloading. I will reload only lead, I am a old dinosaur what can I say.
    Since you're reloading, get the magnum and download in mag brass. I like TrailBoss with 240gr bullets. A case full of TB is a warm 44special at best (and you can reduce the charge from there).

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's a source for some really nice cast bullets.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/s...caliber=44-Mag

The 255gr Authentic Keith, ordered to fit my GP100 cylinder throats, is probably the most accurate heavy bullet I've found for this particular revolver.

Which diameter did you select?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Since you're reloading, get the magnum and download in mag brass. I like TrailBoss with 240gr bullets. A case full of TB is a warm 44special at best (and you can reduce the charge from there).

Chris
    Magnum brass is usually cheaper and easier to find.

https://americanreloading.com/en/44-...ss-500-ct.html

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    as a matter of fact I just bought a die set for the caliber . I know its putting the cart before the horse, but I will have ammo to shoot when I have the gun
    Glad I am not the only one that thinks that way. Am currently shopping for 300BO, mainly because I screwed up a bunch of nice LC cases that will be good for conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    get the magnum and download in mag brass
    That is what I do, and rarely shoot full magnums, but he said his club has a prohibition on magnums. Dunno how closely it is watched, but a club I am in has some pretty busy body people that have volunteered into positions of authority that would make a BFD out of something like that. They come and they go, so I don't get too wound up about it, I have outlasted all of them...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Magnum brass is usually cheaper and easier to find.

https://americanreloading.com/en/44-...ss-500-ct.html
    This too.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Glad I am not the only one that thinks that way. Am currently shopping for 300BO, mainly because I screwed up a bunch of nice LC cases that will be good for conversion...
    Heh. I have 44special brass, but no dedicated 44special gun. I can use the same bullets as I use with my magnum. I also have a pile of 45Colt brass (and some loaded ammo) and a few hundred 230gr RN bullets courtesy of my dad (technically for 45acp, but work in the 45Colt as plinking fodder). I'll have a set of 45Colt dies as soon as my parents find them in their storage unit. I'm tempted to buy a dedicated 44special and/or a 45Colt merely due to having the components.

Chris

User Tag List