Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Which J-frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Anyone who's shot all the metallurgy iterations will tell you that there is a tremendous continuum along which we find various recoil/fun measurements. On one side is all-steel J's with wadcutters; I have had no problem getting brand new (and petite female) shooters through a basic qual with this combo. On the other end is something like a 340PD--which I have personally shot with 130 and 158 ball, and several +P loads. The +P are at the limits of what I feel like enduring--a few cylinders (or even one) is plenty. .357 is not on the table for me. As to the 642/442, I find typical 148 gr wadcutter loads to be fun in my 642. OMMV.
    Swapping grips(stocks) can also make a big difference if you're able to trade some concealability for comfort. I found the Crimson Trace 305 to be much more comfortable than the stock 2-finger grip on a 442. The Pachmayr Compac is even larger and can work well for larger hands.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    The 340's are calibrated to the lighter 130gn (aprox) p+ ammo so buy accordingly. The 642's are calibrated to the 154gn LSWC.
    Are you talking about for sight POI? I’m picking up a 642-1 this afternoon and would prefer to stock up on a known-good POA=POI load 0-25.

@blues where does that Ra38b load hit for you out of your 642?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Are you talking about for sight POI? I’m picking up a 642-1 this afternoon and would prefer to stock up on a known-good POA=POI load 0-25.

The aluminum frame guns are calibrated for 154 LSWC but I shoot 148 WC and the scandium guns are calibrated for 130ish +p @Sherman A. House DDS is the one who I learned it from so we will call him. I thought I would be smart and get one of each but I've never mixed the ammos so I don't know how how much the POA/POI changes.
    Last edited by UNK; 01-20-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Been a little while since I last shot it...and I generally shoot from about 15 yards and in with that gun as it's primarily a close range option. I want to say my recollection is that it hit close to point of aim or slightly low. (I was shooting at steel reactive targets, pepper poppers and plates rather than bullseye.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

RA38B hit dead on with the sights on a 442 I had. I really shouldn’t have sold that gun.

They’re kinda like glocks though, each is their own animal. You’re going to have to just see what yours likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    They’re kinda like glocks though, each is their own animal. You’re going to have to just see what yours likes.
    Word...

Like I mentioned earlier, who would have thought my Hornady CD (110 grain +P) would have the same POI as 9mm Hornady XTP (147 grain, standard pressure) out of the same gun? Got lucky that my cheap range ammo (UMC bulk 115 grain) also was pretty close. Forget what I used for range ammo with .38s (probably whatever UMC bulk does in .38; I’m cheap for training, but still try to shoot my carry ammo a few times a year), but it was damn close, as well.

Some get lucky... others don’t. But if you try enough ammo, you usually find something that works pretty well.

User Tag List