Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carrier in Fayetteville NC Walmart has gun taken

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’d open carry at church if I could. It’d just be easier. But I legally can’t, and then there’s the social repercussions.

Then again, I say that, and I’d probably be so paranoid about some rando grabbing my weapon that I wouldn’t do it after all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    But... but... OC is criminal repellant!

NM is an open carry state with quite a few practitioners, I haven't come across a single one of them that gave off a competent vibe.
    Every single one I can remember was slovenly, unaware and so out of shape that they get winded swapping out for a clean plate at the buffet.
    Your experience mirrors my own. Lots of wide waistlines with Serpas and similar crappy holsters with an XD, Taurus, or crappy 1911 copy.
    In one case, I saw a fat neckbeard looking type get forcefully deprived of his Taurus PT101 by the unarmed Coronado mall security guards, from behind. It's a posted no-guns property, so I didn't feel sorry for him.
    He made the predictably stupid fuss about it. I wish I'd gotten video.

Though once I did see a guy in a polo and nice slacks open carrying a Glock 20 or 21 in a nice retention duty holster I couldn't ID. Guy was clean cut, kinda had an LE/Mil vibe except I didn't see any insignia anywhere nor cuffs on his belt, just the pistol and two spare mags in matching leather carriers. So I chalked that up as a 'possible' case of quasi-competent OC.

Edit:

In a particularly egregious case, at the Wal-Mart in Radcliff, Kentucky I was treated to a sloven, overweight, unshaven bona-fide hillbilly complete with Coors Light ballcap, Mossy oak tank top, and a 7.5in+ barreled Ruger Blackhawk hanging from an honest to god Uncle Mike's generic revolver holster. The ensemble was rounded out by flip flops and cutoff jean shorts. That particular upstanding gentleman was following around his scooter-bound elderly mother and whining about her choice in breakfast cereal. I got the impression he lived with her.

Wish I'd taken a picture of that one, too.
    Last edited by JRB; 12-26-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Open carry has almost certainly done more harm than good to our second amendment rights. Businesses that were once neutral have ended up posting signs. Laws have been passed banning the practice. Numerous videos on YouTube show people making idiots out of themselves as they deal with law enforcement officers doing their jobs.

I would much rather have people get to know me before they learn that I carry concealed. Then I have a realistic chance at educating them. If the first thing they learn is that I carry a gun, they have already decided what they think of me, and any chance to educate them is lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    But... but... OC is criminal repellant!

NM is an open carry state with quite a few practitioners, I haven't come across a single one of them that gave off a competent vibe.
    Every single one I can remember was slovenly, unaware and so out of shape that they get winded swapping out for a clean plate at the buffet.
    In Texas there is a long history of OC in rural environments, usually with long guns, but occasionally with pistols on your property as well. In my younger days it was common to see kids along the road with an assortment of .22s and 410s, or folks carting larger rifles/shotguns.
    OC in urban/suburban environments-that reeks of above poster's view. Quite rare here.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Open carry has almost certainly done more harm than good to our second amendment rights. Businesses that were once neutral have ended up posting signs. Laws have been passed banning the practice. Numerous videos on YouTube show people making idiots out of themselves as they deal with law enforcement officers doing their jobs.

I would much rather have people get to know me before they learn that I carry concealed. Then I have a realistic chance at educating them. If the first thing they learn is that I carry a gun, they have already decided what they think of me, and any chance to educate them is lost.

I would rather no one knows if I CC. Literally two people outside wife and kids know about it.

Back in the '70s, Charlotte Motor Speedway was apparently trying to copy the success of Daytona's Speed Week by adding a Can Am race to the NASCAR World 600 race week (this was the era of Richard Petty, David Pearson, etc.). I had gone down to photograph the sports car race, and had free access to the track and pits with a press pass. Walked up to the gate from the parking area to the pits, and there was a "security guard" who looked like Junior Samples' (from the Hee Haw TV show) big brother. "Uniform" was a tee shirt, denim overalls and an OC'd long barreled Ruger Single Action. Actually, the complete package was quite effective at deterring any gate crashing. A friend at the event said he saw another security person standing at another gate leaning on a shovel handle. He said he was pretty sure the message was clear at that gate too. Probably the two had similarly thorough training.

Site Supporter
    I have yet to see an OC warrior in the San Antonio or Austin areas. Haven't seen one in my various jaunts into more rural TX either. All I have seen are waves of 30.07 signs that ban OC. That is mildly annoying as it gives the message that gun carriers are dangerous. I can see that POV with most OC folks as described above. More seriously, it gives a message to the nongun folks that guns are bad - bad for the kids! Worse, are the places that added a 30.06 sign as part of the signage package. Both signs have been bundled together by antigunners who aren't stupid in implementing their agenda.

Nolw, someone will say - guess who - that they won't go into a business - blah, blah, blah. Well, come to TX and have your cardiac surgery in the street outside the hospital. Maybe you can ride a your horse till you find a place to treat you. It will probably be a dead horse before that happens.

I once saw a school cop in civilian clothes but with his 'roscoe' prominently on his belt with his badge in front. Happily standing in a crowded HEB line. Not a retention holster than I knew off. Free gun on lane 5! He was not a physical titan. I do love the guys who say their kung fu retention will block any gun grab. Sure, I'm positive you are a great wrassler. But in a crowd like this - hey, let's start the grab with a surprise knife in the kidney. All the physical techinques are great to know but why ask to see if they work. I still remember the SWAT officer nearby where we live who got into it with a burglar, lost his gun and got killed. Right in a complex that I passed almost everyday. I'm sure he was fitter than the Walmart OC warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Back in the '70s, Charlotte Motor Speedway was apparently trying to copy the success of Daytona's Speed Week by adding a Can Am race to the NASCAR World 600 race week (this was the era of Richard Petty, David Pearson, etc.). I had gone down to photograph the sports car race, and had free access to the track and pits with a press pass. Walked up to the gate from the parking area to the pits, and there was a "security guard" who looked like Junior Samples' (from the Hee Haw TV show) big brother. "Uniform" was a tee shirt, denim overalls and an OC'd long barreled Ruger Single Action. Actually, the complete package was quite effective at deterring any gate crashing. A friend at the event said he saw another security person standing at another gate leaning on a shovel handle. He said he was pretty sure the message was clear at that gate too. Probably the two had similarly thorough training.

"Now watch him folks cause he's a fairly dangerous man!"
    Last edited by blues; 12-26-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Every time I see a no guns sign on a hospital or doctor’s office, I question the wisdom of trusting the well being of my family and myself to an organization that has already demonstrated a failure to correctly analyze a simple issue. However, refusing to go in results in very limited choices, and is often not an option.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I have an upcoming novel where the protagonist finds himself to be unarmed, due to a series of unfortunate events, and in need of procuring a weapon. I'm debating:

1) Having him look for a car/truck with a Molon Labe, I can't carry a cop so I carry a gun, or SIG sticker.

or

2) Following a hapless OC'r into the men's room.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List