Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Open carrier in Fayetteville NC Walmart has gun taken

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    OC in the woods, CC everywhere else. I don't desire to have the added attention drawn to myself or my family when we're at the mall or Red Robin. Sally soccer mom doesn't understand, nor will she ever most likely.

If a person can't understand the presence of a gun a couple miles back in the woods, I'm not too concerned about their feelings.
    Why would I want to give up the element of surprise in the woods where I’m on my own and 911 isn’t an option ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Why would I want to give up the element of surprise in the woods where I’m on my own and 911 isn’t an option ?
    To be perfectly honest I'm not too concerned with what you do. Carry open, concealed, or not at all, it's up to you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    To be perfectly honest I'm not too concerned with what you do. Carry open, concealed, or not at all, it's up to you.
    My point is the pros and cons of both open carry and concealed carry remain the same regardless of whether you are in urban or rural / wilderness environments.

Open carry in the woods is still a bad idea. Unless you are in Grizzly /Brown /Polar bear country your greatest threat walks on two legs, not four. I’m not concerned about anyone’s feelings. I’m concerned about attracting bad attention in the back country, and if I do anyway, I want every advantage I can get. There are people out there who will kill, rob, rape for your pack and some food, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, much less a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My point is the pros and cons of both open carry and concealed carry remain the same regardless of whether you are in urban or rural / wilderness environments.

Open carry in the woods is still a bad idea. Unless you are in Grizzly /Brown /Polar bear country your greatest threat walks on two legs, not four. I’m not concerned about anyone’s feelings. I’m concerned about attracting bad attention in the back country, and if I do anyway, I want every advantage I can get. There are people out there who will kill, rob, rape for your pack and some food, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, much less a firearm.
    They're not the same. Even the bark eaters from Seattle most of the time never give the sight of a gun a second look in the woods. Go to Whole Foods and the reaction will be quite different. As far as predators go, I'm in black bear, cougar, tweakers, and now wolf populated areas. I don't put a percentage on likeliness of encountering any of them when I'm out and about, I just know an encounter with any is possible. OC in the woods for me isn't for cool guy points or "because I can do it here and nobody will care". My day pack and hunting pack both have waist belts that complicate the draw from concealed AIWB, and make it downright impossible strong side without unbuckling. That's why I choose OC. Family hikes on well groomed trails with the wife and kids, conceal carry is my method because I'm not wearing a pack. Last time I packed in and camped for a couple nights I had a rifle with me, no real way to conceal that.

User Tag List