Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Pistols

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Is there a company out there that designs more new guns and consequently misses on more new guns? These guys seem to make a new SFA every year, and it’s like none of their engineers or marketers realize that no one wants a gun with no modularity, no ambi-controls, a mag disconnect, etc. They just continue to design and re-design the SR9 series. I’m assuming 80% of their revenue comes from the LCP and revolvers, so I’m guessing they don’t expect many sales out of these
    The problem is Ruger does not read PF!

Seriously, I think these companies know what they are doing. They are not mainly selling to people who have a passion for guns, training, learning and refining the gun to be the best balance of safety, reliability, and shoot ability. They are mainly selling to people who just want a gun for the best price possible. This not an attack on anyone or to say one person is better than the next, just my take on how things go in the gun industry.

I think TheNewbie is right. But, that’s exactly what makes me very reluctant to buy guns from companies like Ruger, Sig, and S&W. R&D seems focused primarily on marketing, not safety, reliability, and model/system longevity.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think TheNewbie is right. But, that’s exactly what makes me very reluctant to buy guns from companies like Ruger, Sig, and S&W. R&D seems focused primarily on marketing, not safety, reliability, and model/system longevity.
    Let's get real- most people who buy Rugers and Smiths and HKs will not ever need to use them defensively. Which is a good thing.
    Catering to traits besides "tactical resilience" has merit ,especially when building a gun that tough serv s no purpose.

I recall a class where a fellow student asked how long her P30 would last if left untouched in a drawer. I realize her query was a sound one from her perspective,but a part of me still died hearing it. That's a gun you could probably still shoot with if you dropped it in mud ,drove over it with a Unimog ,and used it for batting practice. And here she was asking if it would decay in a drawer!

Fat lotta good a "hostile environment finish" did her. I submit Ruger knows what they're doing here.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 12-23-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Let's get real- most people who buy Rugers and Smiths and HKs will not ever need to use them defensively. Which is a good thing.
    Catering to traits besides "tactical resilience" has merit ,especially when building a gun that tough serv s no purpose.

I recall a class where a fellow student asked how long her P30 would last if left untouched in a drawer. I realize her query was a sound one from her perspective,but a part of me still died hearing it. That's a gun you could probably still shoot with if you dropped it in mud ,drove over it with a Unimog ,and used it for batting practice. And here she was asking if it would decay in a drawer!

Fat lotta good a "hostile environment finish" did her. I submit Ruger knows what they're doing.
    That’s pretty spot on, but it also makes me wonder, why did she end up with a P30 then? Seems like she was smack in the SR9/SD9VE realm of user - buying a budget talisman to put in the drawer.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    That’s pretty spot on, but it also makes me wonder, why did she end up with a P30 then? Seems like she was smack in the SR9/SD9VE realm of user - buying a budget talisman to put in the drawer.
    IIRC, they asked the local gun store for the best service pistol to use for home defense. The P30 was offered accordingly. A perfect case of the right answer not being the right solution.*

*note this LGS is fairly sharp ,so I'm not tossing them under any busses here.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 12-24-2017 at 03:12 AM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I tend to agree but the exception is their 1911 line. I've been pleased with the overall quality, features and price.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I should have clarified that I was talking about the SR9, E, American, LC9 etc guns. I know about as much about 1911's as we know about the Vegas shooter.

I still wonder why Ruger seems to have more or less abandoned the American. That gun is accurate and reliable and, with a few tweaks, could probably hold its own against anything else currently on the market.

With that said, I'm sure the Security 9 will be a good gun especially if it sells for sub-$300. Ruger is a recognized name and is American made. It should compete very well against Taurus and the like.

Cheap guns that work well and are durable will always be a good seller. Not what the PF members might what but certainly good for the general hobbyist or consumer on a tight budget, etc.

Last edited by Tokarev; 12-24-2017 at 08:53 AM.

These should sell well at this price and will probably be $250ish in a couple weeks.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/732150352

Wow an intro price of almost $100 under MSRP. Almost guaranteed to go lower.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Yeah, at that price from a company like Ruger I'm tempted to try one out.

User Tag List