Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Pistols

Another observation on the size; since the gun is overall close to the Glock 19.

It would have been interesting to see what happened had Ruger built this gun to work with Glock 19 mags and Glock sight cuts. This would have opened the gun up immediately to the aftermarket given that it appears to already fit in some Glock holsters. Ruger could have shipped two Magpul mags with it.

On the other hand this would have cut into Ruger's magazine sales but I doubt most people buying the S9 would be buying a ton of mags. They could have raised the price $20 to offset the loss of sales and probably have made more money in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I took the Security 9 out this morning and ran about 150 rounds through it. Ammo used was 124gr ball and 160gr RNL reloads that are loaded to about a 130 PF depending on the gun. I also fired a mag of Speer 124gr Gold Dot +P.

There were no malfunctions of any sort. The slide locked open when empty etc. That's the good.

The bad is the gun knocked a pretty good chunk of skin off me. Glocks do the same thing if I'm not careful. This is actually one of the reasons I like the P320 and M&P so much. Even the American doesn't chew me up even though that gun isn't the most comfortable I've ever handled.

The other bad news is the gun shoots about five inches high at fifteen yards and there's no way to adjust the sights for elevation. I'll call Ruger tomorrow and see if they have other height options available.

Another bad point is muzzle flip. The gun is pretty light and the grip is pretty small. The gun actually seems a little hard to control and I didn't feel like I was able to track the sights as well as I can with some other pistols.

Otherwise, the gun is okay. It probably isn't a bad gun but I don't think you'll see one riding on someone's duty belt or see one at your next USPSA match. Not a terrible firearm and not something Ruger couldn't have spent a little more money on to make something pretty cool out of.

More later....

Here's my hand.

Site Supporter
    I picked one of the Security 9s last week. First time at the range today was good. 150 rounds of American steel and 50 rounds of ranger 147 jhp. A few fail to ejects but other than that, shot really well. Trigger is nice, groupings were good. Really like it could see it being my EDC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I picked one of the Security 9s last week. First time at the range today was good. 150 rounds of American steel and 50 rounds of ranger 147 jhp. A few fail to ejects but other than that, shot really well. Trigger is nice, groupings were good. Really like it could see it being my EDC.

You’re OK with a few fail to ejects?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You’re OK with a few fail to ejects?
    No, I'll keep taking it to the range see if it's still a problem. I'll mark the mags too, might one of the mags.

Last edited by Whirlwind06; 01-15-2018 at 09:41 PM.

How many is "a few", and were they with both types of ammo, or just one of them?
    Last edited by Drang; 01-15-2018 at 09:19 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    How many is "a few", and were they with both types of ammo, or just one of them?
    2 with the American steel. The Ranger ammo ran fine.

Site Supporter
    Put another 225 rounds through it yesterday. One fail to extract using Winchester steel cased ammo. That stuff was pretty bad won't buy that again. So that's 425 rounds total. I think I'm ramping up for a 2k challenge. I did clean it between range trips though

Last edited by Whirlwind06; 01-21-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Put another 225 rounds through it yesterday. One fail to extract using Winchester steel cased ammo. That stuff was pretty bad won't buy that again. So that's 425 rounds total. I think I'm ramping up for a 2k challenge. I did clean it between range trips though

Are your sights properly regulated? I took my pistol to the range the other day with some 124gr FMJ and it shoots about 5" high at fifteen just like it did with reloads.

The gun is on the FedEx truck now heading back to the factory.

Site Supporter
    Seems okay, shoots a bit to the left, but I think that is me not the gun.

User Tag List