Thread: Pursuit Intervention Technique (PIT) training

Pursuit Intervention Technique (PIT) training

I know it's not new to LE but my boss wants to start using the PIT. Where are agencies getting the training to train their folks? We are looking into FLETC but was wondering if there are other options. If anyone has experience in teaching this technique, I would love to hear pro's and con's as well as best practices.

Merry Christmas and have a Safe New Year.
    Stay Sharp & Stay Safe!

Texas DPS. Houston PD has just adopted the DPS training program. I have already received “post-PIT training.” The video and materials were sourced from DPS.

Edited to add: Really, if one thinks about it, all the agencies in an area should be on the same page, regarding PIT policies and procedures. The seconds after a successful PIT are crucial to officer safety, so that police vehicles are positioned in a tactically sound manner, and so we do not direct gun muzzles at fellow officers.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-22-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks Rex,

I'm with HCSO and the Sheriff is wanting to be on the same page as DPS and HPD, but we don't have the cadre in place to teach this at this time.
    Stay Sharp & Stay Safe!

We've been using it for a while. Our EVOC (driving) instructors teach it using a combination of classroom and on the track time. We've got a couple track cars that are set up with external & internal reinforcement so we can keep practicing it without damaging the cars.

Not sure what instructor school our people go to, but *I think* it is either at Riverside or San Bernadino S/O.

You might want to give my old agency a call, LA State Police. It’s close and they have a world class facility. I’m not sure what classes they are offering outbside the agency, but it’s worth a call.

http://jestc.org/evoc.html

Here is a commercial facility that teaches that and more. You should contact them directly about a train-the-trainer type program.

http://www.bsr-inc.com/

If you're looking for FLETC, they'll want your instructors to complete both the basic driver training instructor training program and their advanced driver training program. Also, expect them to be stingy with their lesson plans. We did our initial PIT training but have struggled to sustain it. We found a school in Florida that was very reasonable but our agency wanted them to use the FLETC lesson plan which we can't get.

I looked into the public schools and found them to be cost prohibitive. I'd look at a public safety solution unless your checkbook is big.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 12-27-2017 at 08:27 AM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

We have a long, extensive history with both "Legal Intervention" and the PIT. It was very effective. Here is an old an memorable one from my old place from 1995. San Bernardino County Sheriff's has a great training facility for vehicle stuff.

https://youtu.be/hzSVgO4aHkY

Slow motion and from news footage.......the "Fishtail maneuver".

https://youtu.be/L5bvLZYHAPo
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 12-29-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

When we did the training, it was referred to as "Precision Immobilization Technique".

Fun day at work spinning cars out at the track. One of the "I can't believe I'm actually getting paid for this" days.

User Tag List