Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Will, Likely, Step Away From The Thin Blue Line, 27 January, 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Congrats, Rex.

"You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave."
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    If your that close call in sick till your last tour. Don't take any chances, your so close to getting out alive I wouldn't chance it. Your last tour you will be anxious and second guessing yourself. To Easy to make a fatal error.
    Thanks.

But, no calling-in sick, especially not between Christmas and New Year’s Day, when the “book” is full. If there is to be a fight, let it be my fight. Lord, I am a sinner. Remember me. Make me fast and accurate. Amen.

Thank you for your many efforts to keep your fellow Texan's safe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Rex G, I love reading your posts. From a fellow Texas peace officer (I only have 24 years to catch up to you service wise!) congrats and enjoy the retirement.

Also enjoy not having to take the mandated 40 hours of TCOLE crap. Last week I took a course about LGBTI issues that mainly a video from SFPD.

I miss the SFPD of Inspector Sledgehammer.
    Thanks.

Sensitivity training is a fact of life. I have, however, seen the other side of things. While I was attending the academy, there was a persistent rumor that there was a gay male cadet. Some decided that gay male cadet was me. There was minor teasing, which I thought to be just minor hazing. The serious stuff started when I was going through Field Training. To make a long story short, during the Evaluation Phases, my fair Evaluators outnumbered the hostile one.

How does one disprove a negative? One tactic was to carry a .44 Magnum, S&W Model 629 duty revolver. Because an N-frame is just a bit too big for my hand, especially when reaching the face of the standard wide trigger, for a properly stable DA pull, I used what trainers now call an “h” grip, which concentrates the recoil into the base joint of the thumb. After one year of sworn service, I was eligible to carry an auto, so briefly switched to 9mm HK P7, to allow my hand and wrist to heal. HK being a prestigious brand, it seemed manly enough. Within a year, I reverted to a revolver, though a .41 Magnum, with a thin trigger, the trigger face dressed-down for a shorter reach, and skimpy grips. This allowed a proper grip on the weapon, but nothing to cushion the recoil. All of this acting tough had the long-term effect of tenderizing my right hand and wrist. By 2011, .40 S&W was painful to shoot. By this year, 9mm, fired from a G19, is painful to shoot, and not just painful, but producing noticeable swelling.

Well, back to sensitivity training. By some time the late Eighties, I was helping teach what we now call sensitivity training to the academy cadets. No gay/lesbian officers were willing to be “out,” at the time, so a sergeant, who probably knew about my experience with discrimination, asked me to help with this training. (Notably, this was before the gay/lesbian community had accepted the true transgender community. Gay males had been dressing in drag at parades and festivals for a long time, already, but that was largely a form of irreverance, not because they identified as transgender.)

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Thank you for your many efforts to keep your fellow Texan's safe.
    Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Thanks.

Sensitivity training is a fact of life. I have, however, seen the other side of things. While I was attending the academy, there was a persistent rumor that there was a gay male cadet. Some decided that gay male cadet was me. There was minor teasing, which I thought to be just minor hazing. The serious stuff started when I was going through Field Training. To make a long story short, during the Evaluation Phases, my fair Evaluators outnumbered the hostile one.

How does one disprove a negative? One tactic was to carry a .44 Magnum, S&W Model 629 duty revolver. Because an N-frame is just a bit too big for my hand, especially when reaching the face of the standard wide trigger, for a properly stable DA pull, I used what trainers now call an “h” grip, which concentrates the recoil into the base joint of the thumb. After one year of sworn service, I was eligible to carry an auto, so briefly switched to 9mm HK P7, to allow my hand and wrist to heal. HK being a prestigious brand, it seemed manly enough. Within a year, I reverted to a revolver, though a .41 Magnum, with a thin trigger, the trigger face dressed-down for a shorter reach, and skimpy grips. This allowed a proper grip on the weapon, but nothing to cushion the recoil. All of this acting tough had the long-term effect of tenderizing my right hand and wrist. By 2011, .40 S&W was painful to shoot. By this year, 9mm, fired from a G19, is painful to shoot, and not just painful, but producing noticeable swelling.

Well, back to sensitivity training. By some time the late Eighties, I was helping teach what we now call sensitivity training to the academy cadets. No gay/lesbian officers were willing to be “out,” at the time, so a sergeant, who probably knew about my experience with discrimination, asked me to help with this training. (Notably, this was before the gay/lesbian community had accepted the true transgender community. Gay males had been dressing in drag at parades and festivals for a long time, already, but that was largely a form of irreverance, not because they identified as transgender.)
    Oh yeah there are assholes. I don't care who you are if you have good values and good behavior. Now it seems like people want to be treated different not equal. Whatever the case, sensitivity training makes me go insane. lol

Ok now back to your thread.

How long was the academy when you went through ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Oh yeah there are assholes. I don't care who you are if you have good values and good behavior. Now it seems like people want to be treated different not equal. Whatever the case, sensitivity training makes me go insane. lol

Ok now back to your thread.

How long was the academy when you went through ?
    The academy was only eighteen weeks in those days. It is about six months, now.

Congrats, and thank you for your service. Stay safe your last month and enjoy the retired life.

Congratulations! I just attended the retirement party of a gent I worked with for a long time today. I have 2 years 10 months 9 days according to my retirement calendar.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Brother,

Your priorities are admirable. You have done your time. The rest of us will try to fill your boots. Some will succeed, many will not. Your honesty in your self evaluation at many stages of your career should be the norm. Sadly many of us are better at conning ourselves and risking sellf and partners for the sake of a deluded self image. Thank you for your service, and may each of your trainees carry their lessons learned from you to the next generation.

With much respect,

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 12-23-2017 at 01:21 AM.

User Tag List