Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I Will, Likely, Step Away From The Thin Blue Line, 27 January, 2018.

I Will, Likely, Step Away From The Thin Blue Line, 27 January, 2018.

Well, if everything goes smoothly, I will be stepping away from the Thin Blue Line effective the final Saturday in January, a bit short of 34 years of sworn service. This will allow me to work one final Houston Marathon, an OT detail that I usually enjoy, on the Fourteenth. (Retirements are normally effective when a pay period ends, and this pay period runs from the Thirteenth to the Twenty-Sixth.) My final night to work a patrol shift, alone, will probably be the night of the First of January. I may decide to ride one or more Tuesday nights with a specific partner, but otherwise, I am mostly using leave, effective the night of January Second.

What could cause a delay? If I become the subject of an IA investigation, I would have to delay retirement until cleared, or if not cleared, until the disciplinary period has run its course, in order to be granted the status of “honorably retired.” I would want to be honorably retired, regardless, but in addition, the ability to continue to legally carry a handgun, under Texas law and the LEOSA, is dependent upon being honorably retired.

If I thought it would hurt my fellow officers, by depriving them of my knowledge and skills, I would stay longer. Well, my knowledge and some skills would remain helpful, but physically, I am becoming more of a liability than an asset. My duty belt size has not changed since I was a slim rookie, but my relexes are slow, and my ability to quickly get onto my feet, from sitting, and especially from on the ground, is diminished. I used to amaze folks with my ability see/perceive things in the darkness, but those days are long gone; I now miss things that others see easily.

This being pistol forum forum dot com, well, my carry pistols may change a bit, but more due to aging and injuries affecting what I can comfortably shoot, than being freed from PD policy. My G26 has already been sold. The G19 will probably diminish in importance, because it now hurts to shoot them, and practice with a larger, heavier G17 does not necessarily translate to G19 skill. My G19 skills are much more perishable than my G17 skills. I may keep my G17 pistols, and sell the G19 pistols.

Shooting a full-sized, all-steel 1911 is not exactly comfortable, but they do not hurt my right hand and wrist, as do my G19 pistols. What works against the 1911 as a carry pistol is that the draw from IWB positioned at or behind the hip requires some geometry that my aging right shoulder finds challenging. The draw is possible, but slow. AIWB of a 5” 1911 puts the muzzle end of the holster jabbing uncomfortably into my thigh. The obvious solution is OWB, and dressing around the gun and rig. I have done this for a number of years, off and on.

A shorter 1911 is an option, should I decide to try try them again, and if the effects of recoil are tolerable, and I find one that is trustworthy.

I have found AIWB Nirvana, a 2.25” SP101 in a JMCK George. If an SP101 is “primary,” it is rarely alone. The second gun can be anything from a second SP101, to a GP100, 1911, Glock, or a Speed/Security Six, etc.

Being freed from PD policy will radically change my defensive long gun choices. I let my patrol rifle qual lapse a number of years ago, when my aging eyes started to really needed an optic, which was forbidden at the time, and because I was satisfied working the night watch with a shotgun. As firearms policy applies 24/7*, my sole off-the-clock long gun choice has been shotguns since about 2005. (870P, then joined by Benelli M2.) Effective 27 January 2018, at 00:00:01 Hours, I will be able to grab my BCM Lightweight Middy, without having to be concerned about pleading “weapon of opportunity” to a supervisor or investigator.

Finally, there is the recent birth of my second grandson, soon after his older brother started walking. I have another “job” to be doing. Life is good.

*Pure home defense with any weapon of opportunity has been seen as generally acceptable for several years. The problem gets more complex when the officer, or an attacker, are not standing on the premises of the officer’s home.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-22-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Seriously though, congrats. It's good to see guys reaching the light at the end of the tunnel.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

Seriously though, congrats. It's good to see guys reaching the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Thanks.

Great job getting to the finish line. Thanks for your service and I hope you get to enjoy retirement as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Great job getting to the finish line. Thanks for your service and I hope you get to enjoy retirement as much as possible.
    Thanks.

Congratulations. I'm planning on doing 30 more months myself.

Congrats, Rex.

"You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

If your that close call in sick till your last tour. Don't take any chances, your so close to getting out alive I wouldn't chance it. Your last tour you will be anxious and second guessing yourself. To Easy to make a fatal error.

Site Supporter
    Rex G, I love reading your posts. From a fellow Texas peace officer (I only have 24 years to catch up to you service wise!) congrats and enjoy the retirement.

Also enjoy not having to take the mandated 40 hours of TCOLE crap. Last week I took a course about LGBTI issues that mainly a video from SFPD.

I miss the SFPD of Inspector Sledgehammer.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Congratulations. I'm planning on doing 30 more months myself.
    Thanks. I was, at least partially, ready to go by the end of 2015. My wife had long planned to retire in November 2015, though a health scare prompted her to retire earlier, in May. My D.R.O.P. had reached a satisfactory figure by the end of July 2015. Having to qual with .40 S&W had started to hurt by late 2011, and was becoming an increasing annoyance with each qual, but then, in September 2015, my chief OK’ed 9mm as an alternative duty cartridge, so I switched to the G19. Plus, during 2015, I had started driving a Tahoe on duty, which made safe, smooth entries and exits a breeze. Staying until 2016 made sense, to enjoy these nice changes for a bit.

Then, at the end of 2015, the chief OK’ed 1911 pistols as primary duty pistols, with the completion of a transition training class. I had let my grandfathered 1911 duty pistols lapse in 2002, because the then-mandated Safariland 070 duty holster did not allow me to attain the consistent firing grip necessary to fully depress the grip safety. Since 2002, however, the Safariland 6360 had become our standard duty holster, which would enable me to get a good firing grip on a 1911. I received my certification to again carry a 1911 duty pistol, in uniform, in 2016. Sweet!

The tragic events of 2016 prompted me to stay for a different reason. I do not want to run from a fight. I do not want a fight, but if one is going to occur, it may as well me my fight. The Super Bowl being a logical target for terrorists, I decided to stay, at least through the Super Bowl in early 2017. Lord, I am a sinner. Remember me. Make me fast and accurate. Amen.

By mid-2017, the Tahoes were being thinned by attrition, as the little compact Ford make-believe utility vehicles became the new standard patrol vehicle. Driving the little Fords was tolerable, but being the passenger-side officer was not long-term tolerable. A full-sized duty pistol becomes uncomfortable quickly, and a quick exit is problematic. If the mobile computer is positioned so that a large or long-armed driver has enough room to steer and shift, the computer is above my left leg, almost against my Taser. I am a Field Trainer/Evaluator, so the rookie has to drive three shifts a week. By August 2017, I was driving and riding in the little Fords, like it or not.

So, early 2018 seems to be the right time to step away. Life is good.

User Tag List