Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: I Will, Likely, Step Away From The Thin Blue Line, 27 January, 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Some time within the next few weeks, I should receive a call or e-mail prompting me to go to HQ to take possession of my badge and hat shield.
    If we want to keep ours we have to pay for them. As if they're going to reissue the thing. Mine isn't even in-policy, since a few design changes were made over the years. I won't be keeping mine on principle if nothing else. I think I've earned the right to take that old piece of metal with me when I go. They can keep it.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 02-09-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If we want to keep ours we have to pay for them. As if they're going to reissue the thing. Mine isn't even in-policy, since a few design changes were made over the years. I won't be keeping mine on principle if nothing else. I think I've earned the right to take that old piece of metal with me when I go. They can keep it.
    I hear ya, brother, but I think you should reconsider.

We had to pay a fee if we wanted our badge, as ours can only be returned mounted (embedded) in lucite after having been cut in half. You can't see where it's been cut but it's good to know the lengths Uncle Sam will go to show how much he trusts you after you walk out the door for the last time.

(I do have my facsimile badge which is a bit larger than the real one...but which got the most wear on entries and warrants etc.)

Screw 'em for making you pay but the badge is, imho, something you should have and may matter to your family as well. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by blues; 02-09-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Interesting about having to wait for a retirement qual before you can carry. When I retired from LSP in 2008, I didn’t have to qualify until my regular State POST qual expired. LSP doesn’t have a difference course for retirees so perhaps that’s the difference. Regardless, sorry you don’t have LEOSA ability right at retirement.

I hope your old agency tries to fix that.
    I have my official “Honorably Retired” ID card, and a paper qual card that shows I fired a qual in October 2018, so I am, technically, legal to carry, under both state law and LEOSA. HPD, however, wants four to six weeks to verify my status, and “process” my application, before I shoot a “retiree” qual. At that time, I will receive an updated ID card, that specifically states I am good to carry handguns. My signature indicates I understood this limitation, so, presumably, my application to carry handguns could be denied if an incident were to occur, and I were to be found carrying a handgun in a situation that would be illegal for a private citizen to be carrying a handgun. It was implied that I could, also, lose my honorably-retired status.

Sounds like some pretty petty bureaucratic nonsense, but I am sure that after working there for so long you are used to navigating that.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Sounds like some pretty petty bureaucratic nonsense, but I am sure that after working there for so long you are used to navigating that.
    Sometimes the bureaucratic BS gets so deep it's a wonder the law ever gets enforced. My agency certainly isn't alone in that. Strangely enough, a new opportunity at promotion may be happening. Some of my divisions current Lieutenants are crying about having too many men to supervise, so they're contemplating adding another Lt. position. If I took it, it would mean staying a few years longer for a slight increase in pay and retirement. Not taking it might mean having to deal with a brand new Lieutenant. Heading for the door is looking better and better.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Sometimes the bureaucratic BS gets so deep it's a wonder the law ever gets enforced. My agency certainly isn't alone in that.
    Indubitably.

I had a ringside seat when I spent several years working alongside the Bureau of Indian Affairs. I worked with some top notch people who are great friends to this day, but the bureaucracy was maddening. I was once told that the BIA is where old bureaucrats go to die!
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Full Retar’d

Well, my 2+ years of accumulated, unused leave, being paid-out as bi-weekly half-pay, over 4+ years, has now ended. I tried to log-in to my Employee Self-Service page, to verify the change in status, and my password did not work. So, the last vestige of “semi-retired” is now finished; I am fully retar’d.

I have been getting my pension, since early 2018, each month, of course, and that should continue, for life. One significant benefit of still being on half-pay is that I have been paying the active employee health plan rate. The retiree rate should hit me with the next pension payment.

Time will tell, whether I start feeling enough of a squeeze, to prompt me to finally start looking for some kind of job that pays actual money. Some of the volunteer and general “good citizen” things that I have been doing, to stay relevant, may have to give way to something that pays.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, my 2+ years of accumulated, unused leave, being paid-out as bi-weekly half-pay, over 4+ years, has now ended. I tried to log-in to my Employee Self-Service page, to verify the change in status, and my password did not work. So, the last vestige of “semi-retired” is now finished; I am fully retar’d.

I have been getting my pension, since early 2018, each month, of course, and that should continue, for life. One significant benefit of still being on half-pay is that I have been paying the active employee health plan rate. The retiree rate should hit me with the next pension payment.

Time will tell, whether I start feeling enough of a squeeze, to prompt me to finally start looking for some kind of job that pays actual money. Some of the volunteer and general “good citizen” things that I have been doing, to stay relevant, may have to give way to something that pays.

Rex, I'm sure many here share my thanks for your career. It's obvious your career + the "good citizen things" you've been doing thus far indicate the type of man you are.

I always enjoy your posts and respectfully ask you to update us on future developments.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Site Supporter
    Around here the State retiree health plan is cripplingly expensive. Most retired guys coming to work for my agency are doing so for the (still high, but not quite as) hideously expensive health benefits.

My employer created a trust fund to pay 50% of the monthly premiums to the Retiree Health Care Plan from retirement to Medicare eligibility...

I am increasingly doubtful of my odds of success, but my goal in 5-6 years is to retire at 55 years old with 30-31 years of service.

pat

User Tag List