Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help Me Get Started with an AR-15

Today only

Brownells is having a 10 % off/free shipping sale through today.

A Colt AR6720 lightweight carbine is $847 shipped with the discount. That comes with the fixed front sight, backup iron sight, pencil barrel, basic furniture, and at least one Magpul 30 rd magazine for $150 under your budget.
    The 6720s are supposedly under 6.5 lbs., so certainly light weight.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...39-183849.aspx
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Brownells is having a 10 % off/free shipping sale through today.

A Colt AR6720 lightweight carbine is $847 shipped with the discount. That comes with the fixed front sight, backup iron sight, pencil barrel, basic furniture, and at least one Magpul 30 rd magazine for $150 under your budget.
    The 6720s are supposedly under 6.5 lbs., so certainly light weight.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...39-183849.aspx
    That is exactly the rifle I would buy if I were in the market.

I'll offer a dissenting opinion because this is PF, and we roll like that. Lack of a longer free-floated handguard is an unnecessary constraint, even at this price point. Someone new to ARs should be able to explore support arm and light mount positions. This setup is fine when you already know what you want--and want this configuration. FWIW, I don't own a single gun set up this way.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-26-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I agree with clusterfrack. Given the CCU is 999 right now with a free float centurion mlok handguard and magpul furniture, it's a much better value than the 6720. The CCU give you much more latitude with accessories whereas the 6720 is extremely limited in that regard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

As someone who’s love affair with the 6720 goes back to the days before it was a thing and you had to buy a 6520 and swap the A2 upper out for a flattop, shave down the FSB (not many low-pro gas blocks for sale back then) and then install either a Daniel Defense M4 (the preferred addition to a lightweight barrel as the DD was the lightest option) or Larue picatinny handguard (those were basically the only options at the time, the KAC free-floats were not to be found and expensive as hell when they were) I think it’s time has past.

I say this because you can now buy complete, ready-to-run guns like the CCU for less money than it would take you to assemble a 6720 into something useable, and you save yourself the fiddle-fuck. And, my un-scientific guess is that a CCU upper weighs less than a 6720 upper with DD M4, and since that’s still my baseline for “lightweight” I think I’d survive.

And again, I say this as a “lightweight” fanatic that heretofore completely embraced the “ounces lead to pounds” philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Agree that Colt is a good bet. I prefer BCM, but for $1k I couldn't find a complete rifle. This is the best I could do:
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-REC...OVT_p_825.html
    Any reason you prefer BCM to Colt?
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Both are top-tier. Colt's a solid choice, and it's hard to go wrong with it. Part of my preference for BCM is based on what I've had the most experience with. I like BCM handguards and have found that their gas systems work well for full-power 5.56 loads, suppressed and unsuppressed. Also, I prefer a mid-length gas system in 14.5" and 16" uppers.

As well, I've found BCM excellent to deal with, and they have a great selection of uppers.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-22-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    You didn’t ask me, but I should’ve mentioned in my earlier post that I think you get more for your money with BCM. Sure, it’s a little more than a Colt but BCM’s stock, charging handle, grip, trigger, gas system, muzzle device, rail, and barrel profiles (depending on the upper you choose) are all significantly better than Colt’s offerings. The one exception is the CCU with its middie gas and Centurion rail, but the rest of it is still mil-spec stuff. That’s not bad, but there is definitely better. BCM uppers usually also come with a QD sling mount too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, are there any spare parts I should keep on-hand for an AR?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    So, are there any spare parts I should keep on-hand for an AR?
    Easiest route is just to keep a complete BCG (bolt carrier group), complete FCG (fire control group), and buffer and spring. Buffer pin and spring aren’t a bad idea. Having these in your range bag will get you back on the line the fastest from almost any parts failure you may have. For long term maintenance you’ll eventually want to replace the extractor and spring as well as the action spring.

User Tag List