Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can for 300 BO

Can for 300 BO

Hey, all. A buddy of mine is taking the plunge into 300 blackout, and wants to get a suppressor. He asked me for suggestions for cans across a breadth of prices. I know NOTHING about buying a suppressor - mine have always been issued. What's the environment look like for 300 cans?

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Hey, all. A buddy of mine is taking the plunge into 300 blackout, and wants to get a suppressor. He asked me for suggestions for cans across a breadth of prices. I know NOTHING about buying a suppressor - mine have always been issued. What's the environment look like for 300 cans?

Thanks!
    Is your buddy LE / MIl ?

If so, Silencerco's Omega and Hybrid are great options and are available via the Speq program, basically a "blue label" program for suppressors.

I believe some other silencer manufacturers have followed suit including Gemtech's Guardian program.

I have an Omega and have been very happy with it, including use on a 9' AAC .300 BO upper.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-22-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Liberty Mystic-X. Stupidly versatile, perfect first can, loving mine.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

If price is less of a concern, Thunderbeast cans are the best I've used.

I have an Omega. It's a good can, but the mount/caliber convertibility is a PIA. The modular mount comes off the can, leaving the mount on the gun, which requires the tool to remove.

I would avoid AAC, based on multiple issues I've seen with their mounts.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Love the Omega's I have, the Omega 9k is wicked small and isn't much louder with supers over the full sized Omega, it can also be run on a 9mm pistol. The Omega 9K is still pretty silly quiet with the .300 subs. I love the overall size of the 9K on my 9" barreled SBR's. If your buddy is looking at over all utility the Hybrid is good, you can shoot it on basically anything, rifles or pistols but you sacrifice size. The mounting system is good, another selling point about the 9K I forgot to mention is it could be pinned to a short barrel so all your buddy would need is one tax stamp.
    Last edited by Mike C; 12-22-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    My opinion only:

I have several suppressors that fit on blackout, and I have tried many of the other commercial options at the suppressor demo days that I run through my work (FFL/SOT). I think you need to identify what priorities of performance you are looking at. For me, a 300 BLK is something that is shorter and lighter than a 5.56. For example, I have an 11.5" barreled 5.56 gun, so I need something that is shorter than that to be very useful. My 300 BLK is a 7.5" barrel. While the longer cans (sandman l, hybrid, etc.) are quieter (obviously), I ended up going with the omega 9k. Looking back if the Wolf from Dead Air had been available I would have gone with that instead. My priorities with the blackout was reducing weight and OAL. The 9k is also nice on my 9mm AR, and is much more suited for rifle use than a pistol can like the octane. While it isn't as quiet as some, it really is nice having a suppressed gun that does not feel front heavy at all. I just direct thread mine using the original harvester mounts that are flush fit as opposed to the normal pistol direct thread adapters that increase the length by about .5"

Site Supporter
    Needs drive the gear train. A .308 can will run subs and supersonic loads, as well as be useable on any .308, 6.8, 6.5 or 5.56 rifles in the safe. A 9mm pistol can will suppress subsonics, but cannot handle any other rifle rounds. A .45 pistol can will handle .300 blackout subsonic and be useful any centerfire pistol cal below .45. Any time you buy versatilty you get a sweet spot for a given setup, and less performance anytime you shoot a smaller diameter or higher pressure round through it. My source for this info was my SOT, and you should consult with someone you trust before dropping your coin on a given setup.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Needs drive the gear train. A .308 can will run subs and supersonic loads, as well as be useable on any .308, 6.8, 6.5 or 5.56 rifles in the safe. A 9mm pistol can will suppress subsonics, but cannot handle any other rifle rounds. A .45 pistol can will handle .300 blackout subsonic and be useful any centerfire pistol cal below .45. Any time you buy versatilty you get a sweet spot for a given setup, and less performance anytime you shoot a smaller diameter or higher pressure round through it. My source for this info was my SOT, and you should consult with someone you trust before dropping your coin on a given setup.

pat
    Beg to differ. The Liberty Mystic-X is a 9mm pistol can built on a rifle monocore. When I bought it, it was rated from everything from .22 rimfier (it is user serviceable) to 9mm to 300 AAC Blackout subsunic and supersonic to 223 - but not 308.

The newer models are now rated all the way to 300 WinMag, and there is a $375 upgrade to the older model that I will likely take advantage to get 308 support without having to buy a new can.

For me, with a first can, the versatility outweighs nuances of quietness and size that are possible with dedicated cans. That said, the Mystic-X is neither excessively long nor excessively heavy. I did have to but a number of adapters.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Excellent! On a patrol officers salary, value is pretty high on my list. This can, as you present sounds ideal for much of what I have in the safe. When it is time to add to my kid's trust, I will need to do some more homework. I would rather buy adapters than cans. If I end up in canine, a good 5.56 can will be vital, but it wont work for most of the gun safe, only the patrol rifle.

pat

I run Sakers and have been very pleased with them.

User Tag List