Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder binding on Uberti

Cylinder binding on Uberti

Last year I got a Uberti Cattleman II and have, up to now, fired less than a hundred rounds through it. Although it was fine on my first range trip (other than screws loosening which I think I got fixed), since then the cylinder wants to bind up on it. The hammer gets increasingly difficult to cock to rotate the next round into place and when trying to eject spent cases, the cylinder is very difficult, sometimes almost impossible, to turn. When the cylinder is empty, it rotates fine. I wouldn't think that except in the most extreme cases, dirt or gunk could cause a gun to do this and, in my case, it's been fired less than a hundred times and I when I broke down to clean it (at least removed the cylinder) after a couple of range trips it was not very dirty. I emailed Uberti and received a work order number for me to send it in to them but I wanted to see if I may be missing something first. This is my first single action revolver so I wondered if anyone may have an idea as to what is going on with it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

What kinds of ammo have you tried?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    What kinds of ammo have you tried?
    38 spcl. Winchester White Box, 125 or 130 grain (can't recall which) and some Federal. Nothing exotic. Just factory hardball range ammo. No 357 mag.
    Last edited by Cornerpocket; 12-22-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    Try this. Remove cylinder, clean cylinder pin and hole it passes through. Then reinstall. If it continues to bind, remove and reinstall and test. This trick has worked for me in the past, although I can't explain why.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Try this. Remove cylinder, clean cylinder pin and hole it passes through. Then reinstall. If it continues to bind, remove and reinstall and test. This trick has worked for me in the past, although I can't explain why.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Site Supporter
    Also one or more high primers can case binding. Here's a long shot. Vigorously clean chambers to remove any build up from ammo or lube residue from lead bullets. 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bristl brush will work. Wet with whatever gun oil avaiable.

Can you tell by rub marks if it is binding in the rear of the cylinder or the front?

Have you been dry firing it? Check the firing pin hole in the frame, it may be burred into the headspace area from dry fire or just manufacturing burr.

You said it rotates when empty, does it get difficult with cartridges loaded, or just after firing them?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Have you been dry firing it? Check the firing pin hole in the frame, it may be burred into the headspace area from dry fire or just manufacturing burr.
    I just went downstairs and checked. I think this could be the problem as there is a burr around the pin hole. It's slight but that is definitely where it is sticking. I put an empty case into the cylinder and rotated it and it is binding as it reaches the pin hole. It wasn't binding like at the range but I'm wondering if the binding is aggravated there as the case, cylinder and frame are expanded from the heat of firing. Now I feel like I'm in a bit of a bind (no pun intended). It looks easy enough to file down but if I do that and that is not the problem and I have to send it into Uberti and they see evidence of it being filed down, I'm afraid they may void my warranty. Anyway, thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

User Tag List