Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of 223/556 are people stocking up on

For the last three or four years, I have been using PMC 55 grain as my shooter ammo, and it has been reliable and reasonably accurate in a bunch of Colt and BCM carbines. POI is close to Gold Dot 64 grain I also use.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

MEN M193 is by far the best bulk 5.56 ammo I’ve ever bought. It’s extremely accurate and consistent. I always stock up when it’s in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My preferred defense load is 64 grain Gold Dots and I like to keep 500 rounds on hand.

I stock the daylights out of PMC 55 grain and Wolf/Tula 55 grain that I shoot out of my dedicated training rifle.

Relevant to this thread:

Hornady announced a new line of ammo called Frontier. It's a joint venture with Lake City where the projectiles are all Hornady and the brass/powder is LC and loaded on LC equipment. This means you get a quality projectile at a much lower cost. They will be loading the 75gr BTHP projectile in 5.56. It's listed for sale at $0.60/round currently:
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fron...0-p-81141.aspx

This could prove to be some very reasonably priced match/HD ammo. While the Hornady T2 wouldn't be my first choice for hunting, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for SD and some barrels do tend to shoot small groups with it(although IME the SMK shoots better in most rifles)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    MEN M193 is by far the best bulk 5.56 ammo I’ve ever bought. It’s extremely accurate and consistent. I always stock up when it’s in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Got some coming from SG Ammo.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Some folks will tell you to use anything that goes bang including steel cased Russian ammo for range fodder. I have used some (Tula, Golden Bear) in the past and out to 100 yards it was no different than XM193. However it did smell like cat piss when fired.
    In my AR carbine, the cheap steel cased stuff is terrible. I wasn't sure if it was me or the gun, so I put on a scope and shot some groups at 50yds. The 55gr steel stuff was 4", while the good quality 62gr brass stuff (Hornady, etc) all shot into 1".

Chris

Currently? I'm stocking IMI 55gr M193 to the roof, as well as the Black Hills 77gr TMK's and IMI 77gr Razor core's to the roof for my HK MR556. I have a few thousand rounds of green tip too, but I don't have a practical use for them as of right now because all the cool kids and optics are designed for 55gr and 77gr.

I really like the IMI stuff, great performance and on the cheap.

PPU 75gr BTHP

cheaper but very good performing

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    PPU 75gr BTHP

cheaper but very good performing
    That is good stuff.

Chris

User Tag List