Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: 2017 Pistol-Forum.com CCW Survey

@Nephrology Excellent stuff! Thank you for your time and effort.

My one suggestion for 2018, if the poll will again be posted outside PF, is to include a question which will allow the separate culling of PF only data, i.e. "How did you find this poll?".

Site Supporter
    Separating groups is a good idea. Given what we know about the general gun 'carrying' population (for example. see Karl Rehn's work and others) most folks don't carry much and don't train beyond what is need for the license (if required). Thus, when we want info - getting a take from a sophisticated group vs. a larger group is useful in comparison. The Taurus 85 and LCP crowd might dominate the general carry population.

As far as response rate - 30% of targeted folks isn't bad. We did a study of bystander response from gun sophisticated that were explicitly recruited and got 30%. When we did a study on police PTSD, we had about a 30% rate even though our work was pushed by the departments (not compulsory but please help).

Go to public range and watch the average shooter - their opinion isn't worth that much to me, watching them Swiss cheese a B-27 from top to bottom and sometimes the ceiling. Saw a guy who reloads his own, shoot down the cable for the targets. Said, the barrel of the rental gun must be curved. It was a class where we all had to shoot 2nd Gen SW semis for a common user base. He brought his own special ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    My .40 Single Stack 1911 is my most accurate semi auto pistol I own. Mine is not only crazy accurate, but quite very reliable. I was considering getting a .40 done up in a light weight commander size gun at one point.
    My STI 5 inch 40 is also a good shooter , that and the 5 inch 2.0 thumb safety MP are what I train with the most.

There should have been a way to determine the Px4 Hipster crowd from those who picked up on it after it went EL mainstream. I for one, liked the Px4 before it was cool.

Although I keep finding myself carrying the APX more than the Px4, we'll see if that lasts through this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I've always thought the .40 1911 would be a great combo but it's to short for the action much like a 9mm. Now it seems the 9mm in the 1911 is quite sorted out but with the popularity of the .40 waning I wonder if it will ever get the same attention other than the USPSA guys loading it long for the SS division.

I had an IAI Skipper in .40 back in the early 90's it ran like a top.
    Last edited by OBO; 01-07-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OBO View Post
    I had an IAI Skipper in .40 back in the early 90's it ran like a top.
    Very cool. I had a 9mm 1911 many years ago and it ran just fine but so many people report issues with the 9mm 1911 that it must be an issue. Although probably less so these days because a lot of work has gone into making the 1911 in 9mm work. The .40 S&W like the 9x19 are too short for the 1911 action, not that they won't work but there is less room for error. Which is why "experts" will suggest one get a full size in .45 or even .38 super auto if reliability is important.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Very cool. I had a 9mm 1911 many years ago and it ran just fine but so many people report issues with the 9mm 1911 that it must be an issue. Although probably less so these days because a lot of work has gone into making the 1911 in 9mm work. The .40 S&W like the 9x19 are too short for the 1911 action, not that they won't work but there is less room for error. Which is why "experts" will suggest one get a full size in .45 or even .38 super auto if reliability is important.
    I've never experienced the issues with the .40 like I have with the 9mm. The .40 is a little bigger, enough bigger that you can get away with using 10mm magazines in my experience. (IE magazines without a "spacer"). The 9mm really needs a spacer to keep the rounds closer together (IE .38 super mags don't tend to work as well). The other very important thing to consider is the 9mm is a tapered round, whereas .45, .38 super, 10mm, and .40 are all straight wall cases. Being the gun is designed to support a straight wall case, this is another thing that has to be contended with. If you load a 9mm magazine to capacity, take a look as how the top round and round below it sit. There is a noticeable gap between the front of them, and one of the issues that I've experienced the most with 9mm 1911s, and that is the nose dive on slide lock reload.

User Tag List