Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger Job in a Bag, PX4 & 92 Series

What is the official minimum "duty" weight spec on the PX4/PX4c (G) triggers?

Which hammer spring would I combine with the TJIAB to meet or exceed the official "duty" weight spec?
    Last edited by David S.; 07-11-2018 at 05:41 AM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

Which hammer spring would I combine with the TJIAB to meet or exceed the official "duty" weight spec?
    Though Beretta does not offer a specific weight of trigger pull that they require as minimum on a duty weapon, they do have some specifications that they offer for LE use.

Beretta requires LE armorers to change all springs every 5,000 rounds.

A double action trigger pull around 8 lbs and a single action around 4 lbs will continue to be reliable if the pistol cleanliness is maintained.

This can be accomplished with a Wilson Combat 12lb M-92 hammer spring or a Cougar D spring rotated every 10,000-15,000 rounds.

If you're getting a TJIAB your single action will probably fall under 4 lbs. This will not change the reliability of primer hits, it will be because of sear polishing and not reduced hammer strength.
    The decision to have a single action trigger pull under 4 lbs in an adrenaline filled tactical situation is a personal decision.

My question is not really related to ignition reliability. I just spent the last hour or so rereading the thread on “Legit Advice on Gun Modification.“ I really don’t intend to rehash that thread here.

On the one hand, I really like the idea of a cleaned up trigger. On the other hand, I do have legal aftermath concerns about significantly reducing trigger weights below factory “duty” specs for a EDC gun.

(I’m not a LEO)
    David S.

My question is not really related to ignition reliability. I just spent the last hour or so rereading the thread on “Legit Advice on Gun Modification.“ I really don’t intend to rehash that thread here.

On the one hand, I really like the idea of a cleaned up trigger. On the other hand, I do have legal aftermath concerns about significantly reducing trigger weights below factory “duty” specs for a EDC gun.

(I’m not a LEO)
    If the concern is a defensible legal position, then only a Beretta representative can be quoted in court.

So, let's ask one: @e_stern

If it is the legal implication of purchasing a TJIAB only @LangdonTactical can answer for his product.

I’d love to hear the technical details from Ernest or e stern. This isn’t the thread for legal opinions.

I’ve contacted Beretta directly by email to ask if there’s a published minimum trigger weight for duty use. I’ll let you know if they come back with.
    Last edited by David S.; 07-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    David S.

I doubt any official rep will answer technical questions with the lede being a reference to them potentially being quoted/subpoenaed in court... The bagged answer will be: the only (company name here) approved components are OEM components, and any technical details of min/max tolerance for said components are confidential IP.

As for specified weights, as I understand it, most companies have have hard requirements for firing pin indent/energy, not so much the triggers. The trigger pull weight is just the byproduct of what it takes to get there safely and repeatedably.

I guess I’m naive. It just seems like standard knowledge available to any armorer.
    David S.

It is also most probable that Beretta's stand will be that if anyone puts a tool to the pistol, whether using OEM parts or not, if it is not Beretta or an authorized dealer of theirs, then they are not responsible at all.

I hope they don’t have spec trigger pull weights for that very reason. It’s a silly idea that my aftermarket spring can yield a DAO 6 lb trigger pull and will apparently cost me a bundle in legal fees for not being factory spec but another factory striker spec can be 4.5 lbs yet it would not be held to the same legal scrutiny due its design. DA/SA with shrouded hammers and DAO physically cannot have hair pin triggers else they wouldn’t fire.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

User Tag List