Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger Job in a Bag, PX4 & 92 Series

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    My question is not really related to ignition reliability. I just spent the last hour or so rereading the thread on “Legit Advice on Gun Modification.“ I really don’t intend to rehash that thread here.

On the one hand, I really like the idea of a cleaned up trigger. On the other hand, I do have legal aftermath concerns about significantly reducing trigger weights below factory “duty” specs for a EDC gun.

(I’m not a LEO)

How can “Duty”’specs - whatever that means, be applied to your non Leo duty?

Why not leave it stock if you’re worried ? I don’t at all intend to seem rude.

How can a set of pistol trigger specs intended for a profession you aren’t in, possibly have effects on you and your perceived ability/intent after a shooting ?

And to that end “Duty” specs where? New York @12lbs, mass at 10?

Again Not trying to be rude.

No offense taken.

Apparently I’m misunderstanding a concept discussed in another thread, so please disregard the question. I’ll go back and clarify in that thread.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    It is also most probable that Beretta's stand will be that if anyone puts a tool to the pistol, whether using OEM parts or not, if it is not Beretta or an authorized dealer of theirs, then they are not responsible at all.
    This
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    How can “Duty”’specs - whatever that means, be applied to your non Leo duty?

Why not leave it stock if you’re worried ? I don’t at all intend to seem rude.

How can a set of pistol trigger specs intended for a profession you aren’t in, possibly have effects on you and your perceived ability/intent after a shooting ?

And to that end “Duty” specs where? New York @12lbs, mass at 10?

Again Not trying to be rude.
    Yes, to my knowledge there is no such thing as "Duty Specifications". There would only be the minimum & maximum trigger pull weights that would be used for a "bench test" for an Armorer. That said, I just looked through the Beretta 92 LE Armorer's Manual and the PX4 LE Armorer's manual, and there was no mention of minimum trigger pull weights, or trigger pull weights at all. It is not part of the Armorer's inspection for those guns in the factory manual.

On that note, I am not sure where trigger pull weight would come into play in a real shooting. The pistol you use may or may not be inspected by the police if they confiscate it from you after the fact (they likely will). But the question is, was it a good shooting or not? If you were justified, why would your trigger come into play?

The only way I would see that as an issue is if you shoot someone by accident, or if you want to claim it was an accident. "I don't know what happened, the gun just went off"!

The argument is that you modified your trigger so that you could be very accurate and therefore shoot precisely to make you safer. Missed shots are dangerous. I am sure your attorney could find a long list of shootings where people were hit by rounds that missed.

Also, the question I would bring up with my attorney if it did come into play would be about all factory guns. If my DA pull on my Beretta PX4 is too light at 6.5 pounds, then how would I be ok with a factory S&W M&P at 6.5 pounds. or a Glock 34 with a 4.5-pound trigger, or a Wilson Combat 1911 with a 4-pound trigger. At what point is a trigger too light and is it gun specific?

My advice would be to get yourself signed up for a legal service so that you had a support team in place in case you did get into a shooting. I use CCW safe and I really trust those guys.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    What is the official minimum "duty" weight spec on the PX4/PX4c (G) triggers?

Which hammer spring would I combine with the TJIAB to meet or exceed the official "duty" weight spec?
    Please see my other post.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.
    David S.

What kind of DA and SA trigger pull weights can you expect on the PX4 with a TJIAB and the 14 and 16# CS springs?
    David S.

Site Supporter

Snagged from another thread.

I'm just curious about this but why does the Beretta design result in so little change to single action trigger pull weight when the mainspring is change? It seems like other guns are much more affected, but by the same token, Berettas seem to be able to go pretty low on DA weight without worrying about light strikes

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I'm just curious about this but why does the Beretta design result in so little change to single action trigger pull weight when the mainspring is change? It seems like other guns are much more affected, but by the same token, Berettas seem to be able to go pretty low on DA weight without worrying about light strikes
    When a Beretta trigger is pulled on a DA stroke, the hammer must be brought back by the trigger and then dropped. This causes the trigger to have to undergo the weight of the hammer spring’s resistance. In single action mode, the hammer is already back and the trigger does not have to bring it back. Therefore, the trigger has less resistance.

When lowering the weight of the hammer spring, DA is directly affected as less weight is encountered drawing the hammer back. This doesn’t affect SA much because it doesn’t draw the hammer back.

However, the hammer sits on the SA sear of the sear, by the SA sear of the hammer. These are short contacts. A little bit of hammer weight loss is perceived, but the hammer movement is already done. This is why polishing or honing the sear contacts makes the difference in SA. It makes less friction for the sear to get out of the hammer’s way.

For more on this see:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....art-do-and-how posts numbers 3 & 4

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page2 post 17

User Tag List