Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jared Reston presentation, well worth the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    That's not really his fault though, is it? The video is chock full of lessons, but Jared is speaking to an audience and his presentation has a context. When using LE, military, and similar survival videos I think we often make too many assumptions about people's ability to extract the gems and make them relevant to their own lives. Especially if we're only sharing web links, rather than time to meaningfully reframe the info.

I sent it to people in my agency...only one said anything about it. It will take a life changing event for these folks (whether they're LE or not) to wake the fuck up. Like he mentions in the video, officers say theyll do this or that when the shit hits the fan. No they wont...and yes I’ve seen them shoot and I've seen them in stressful situations. You can try to train them all you want but if they are not willing to participate in anything that will help them survive then they will just be bullet magnets while others are not.

That may be harsh but its the reality of the situation. We are upping our firearms training for 2018 by 3 times...we usually only qualify and thats it. That does not include 2 open range days a month. I can count on less than two hands how many will show up to make themselves better.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    There was a purpose behind me sending it to him. The reason I sent it to him was because of previous conversations I had with him about the importance of regular live fire and training classes, to which he pretty much disregarded the advice, and how even highly trained folks find themselves on the almost losing end from time to time. Either way, I don't have the time or desire to spend anymore time with the guy on the matter. May seem harsh but oh well.
    Ok, that's helpful. There was some groundwork on the front end then.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You make a good point, but at the same time I don't think things need to be dumbed down to the least common denominator. The truth is there for those willing to see it.
    I don't think of it as dumbing it down, but connecting it more deliberately. Layer it, link it to existing knowledge, perspective, and context. We often overestimate the recipient's ability to make a lot of what we're already sold on, relevant to themselves. Certainly, the willing will find their way to the truths. We can make it easier for them though, and pick up a few strugglers or less-willing along the way.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I don't think of it as dumbing it down, but connecting it more deliberately. Layer it, link it to existing knowledge, perspective, and context. We often overestimate the recipient's ability to make a lot of what we're already sold on, relevant to themselves. Certainly, the willing will find their way to the truths. We can make it easier for them though, and pick up a few strugglers or less-willing along the way.
    You won't get an argument from me...quite the opposite, in fact. The more, the better. Though, as with most things, a small percentage will make an effort. (An effort being anything from minimal to exhaustive.)

Reminds me of folks on my old job who wanted advice on investing within the gov't retirement system or in mutual funds outside the network. I'd try to provide them with info and material so that they could make an informed decision (and be able to defend the decisions made). But no, they just wanted the answer up front, and to be told what to do. They didn't want to put in any work.

So it goes with many or most things. But yes, I agree that we should endeavor to make it as accessible as possible.

But as Einstein reputedly said: "Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
    Last edited by blues; 12-24-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    One of the several things I picked up from this video is that it should put to rest the age old argument about caliber. Both of these guys are slugging it out with two heavy duty calibers but at the end of the day it took a head shot to end the battle. That could have been accomplished with a 9mm. To me that re-enforces my as well as many others belief, that shot placement is what it's all about and that it's always better to have more bullets than less. He almost ran out and while it's true he could have reloaded, his comments address that issue. Think for a moment what the outcome of this would have been had there been two offenders actively fighting with Officer Reston instead of one. It's one of the reasons I recently put my 239 back into the safe and now carry my 226 both on duty and off. Having said all that, kudos to Officer Reston for a Job Well Done. He is an inspiration to the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    This was a great presentation. I got so much out of it that I sent the video to everyone in my department.
    I sent out the link but I think it's going to be shown at a mandatory meeting.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I believe Larry Vickers popularized this. I learned it from him in '05.
    Bolke and Dobbs found a photo of this being done back in the 20's or 30's.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Bolke and Dobbs found a photo of this being done back in the 20's or 30's.
    There is a photo in Sixguns by Keith showing a Border Patrol instructor using a bullseye target tacked over a silhouette target. Has to be from the 1950s or earlier.

I feel with most Training stories, like Jared’s, if you inherently get the value from it, that can be used as an indicator/litmus Test to your audience. The ones that don’t get it, while there is no doubt it could be valuable to them or their charges, they’ll ignore or discount it.

Those folks can’t be reached and you’d be better off continuing to preach to the choir.

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by nucci View Post
    Going through the presentation now. He says that at minimum, service pistols should have metal tritium sights and grip tape or other grip work for traction. For LE - do you think Gen 4/5 stock texture needs improvement? I have Talon on Gen 3 and I think it needs it, yet am hesitant to change anything on a Gen 5 17.
    Not really, but if you think it will help you try it out. Ive left my G4 texture alone, had a buddy do a slight undercut of the triggerguard. I would put skateboard tape on my old work P2000. YMMV

Powerful presentation. Though presented to a LEO audience, there was plenty in there for anyone who takes self defense with a firearm seriously.

Powerful man - many would have been out of the fight with the first shot to the jaw. Truly a profile in courage.

Makes me appreciate all the more what our police do day-in and day-out, and makes me thankful it's a job I don't have to do.

User Tag List