Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jared Reston presentation, well worth the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I believe Larry Vickers popularized this. I learned it from him in '05.
    I think Kyle DeFoor does this also.

Hammertime

Jared Reston presentation, well worth the watch.

This was good. Worth the one. Plowed through it in a couple
    work outs. Second half on mindset outstanding.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 12-22-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    I think Kyle DeFoor does this also.
    It’s not new. @dagga_boy showed photos of B8 size repair centers pasted over silhouettes going back to the early 20th Century...I think in Texas, and perhaps associated with Askins.

Great presentation. I want to train with Jared at some point in the future.

civiliandefender.com

Good presentation. Good mindset.

Thanks for the link.

Be safe.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Outfuckingstanding !

I have a work colleague who a few weeks ago stopped by my office and eagerly showed me his new Springfield Saint AR15 and Remington 1911 and asked if wanted to hit the range the following Saturday. Outside of my wife and kids, I rarely like to go to the range with other people but I did because: off hours networking reasons.

I genuinely hate to use the term Fudd to describe casual gun owners, I think it's an unfair characterization just because a person doesn't meet the threshold of how I view training and self defense preparation. I reserve that title for people who spout off stupid shit like "a j-frame is the perfect gun for a new female shooter cause they're not strong enough to rack the slide on a semi auto so here's a gun with a 12lb trigger". 5 minutes after we get there and he's talking the typical nonsense that he's heard from gun store employees. "The sound of a 12 gauge being racked will scare the burglars away" "The 1911 won 2 World Wars" etc.

He's pretty new to guns, no training besides an 8 hour beginner class with 50 rounds of live fire. I emailed him the link to this video and he got back to me yesterday. His response "Well I won't be chasing any shoplifters so none of that really applies to me". (Sigh) I tried.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 12-24-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    He's pretty new to guns, no training besides an 8 hour beginner class with 50 rounds of live fire. I emailed him the link to this video and he got back to me yesterday. His response "Well I won't be chasing any shoplifters so none of that really applies to me". (Sigh) I tried.
    That's not really his fault though, is it? The video is chock full of lessons, but Jared is speaking to an audience and his presentation has a context. When using LE, military, and similar survival videos I think we often make too many assumptions about people's ability to extract the gems and make them relevant to their own lives. Especially if we're only sharing web links, rather than time to meaningfully reframe the info.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    That's not really his fault though, is it? The video is chock full of lessons, but Jared is speaking to an audience and his presentation has a context. When using LE, military, and similar survival videos I think we often make too many assumptions about people's ability to extract the gems and make them relevant to their own lives. Especially if we're only sharing web links, rather than time to meaningfully reframe the info.
    There was a purpose behind me sending it to him. The reason I sent it to him was because of previous conversations I had with him about the importance of regular live fire and training classes, to which he pretty much disregarded the advice, and how even highly trained folks find themselves on the almost losing end from time to time. Either way, I don't have the time or desire to spend anymore time with the guy on the matter. May seem harsh but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    You make a good point, but at the same time I don't think things need to be dumbed down to the least common denominator. The truth is there for those willing to see it.

Surely, someone that wasn't presently, or in the past, an LEO can understand the point that sometimes shit happens when we least expect it and that being (willfully) oblivious or taking one's safety for granted is to put oneself and one's family unnecessarily at risk of being caught off-guard.

Boiled down to its essence the main takeaways, (imho), are: be observant, be prepared, take nothing for granted, make your shots count if it comes to a gunfight, and steel yourself to fight to the end no matter what. Relevant to LEO and non-LEO alike.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List