Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jared Reston presentation, well worth the watch.

The emphasis he placed on the limited decisive damage that general "torso" hits with a pistol deliver really puts the exclamation mark on the precision standards of Mil SMUs, their alums, Dagga Boy, et al.

The VTAC targets overlay of A,C,D,B scoring zones is pretty neat for making that point.

Attachment 22521
    Last edited by JHC; 12-22-2017 at 08:09 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thread title is accurate, thanks for posting. I'm surprised no one had any questions at the end of the presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    The emphasis he placed on the limited decisive damage that general "torso" hits with a pistol deliver really puts the exclamation mark on the precision standards of Mil SMUs, their alums, Dagga Boy, et al.

The VTAC targets overlay of A,C,D,B scoring zones is pretty neat for making that point.

Attachment 22521
    I don't quite understand what I'm seeing and how it relates to the video. Are these different standard targets overlayed to show how not-good they are in relation to where Mr. Reston says that shooters need to land hits?
    Last edited by Guerrero; 12-22-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

It's one side of a VTAC target. I'm not sure if Kyle was making a point about scoring zones or just wanted the as many options as possible for training (the reverse side has B8s and other targets). Whatever his purpose, it does show generous A zones vs. real anatomy.
    Last edited by Hambo; 12-22-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

This was a great presentation. I got so much out of it that I sent the video to everyone in my department.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I don't quite understand what I'm seeing and how it relates to the video. Are these different standard targets overlayed to show how not-good they are in relation to where Mr. Reston says that shooters need to land hits?
    C zone hits suck mostly. Great precision is necessary and the more experience fighters get the more they seem to insist on this.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It's one side of a VTAC target. I'm not sure if Kyle was making a point about scoring zones or just wanted the as many options as possible for training (the reverse side has B8s and other targets). Whatever his purpose, it does show generous A zones vs. real anatomy.
    I assume it's for the amazing versatility of the target. But it jumps out at me.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    C zone hits suck mostly. Great precision is necessary and the more experience fighters get the more they seem to insist on this.
    For my defensive oriented drills, I've taken to putting a B8 in the upper part of the A Zone on a USPSA target, although I can't remember exactly who I got it from, I know it's not my original idea. Those VTAC targets reinforce that whoever had the idea originally had a good one.

I’ve read about this and have heard him in a podcast but this “unedited” version was excellent. Thank you for posting this. His recall of the events in real-time and articulating his thoughts while the events were taking place were amazing. He has a pretty good sense of humor as well, especially given what he’s gone through with this. Dude definitely picked the wrong cop to mess with that day.

I would think that this would be required viewing for every LEO coming out of the academy. Great insight to the realities of LE, certainly brings a whole new level of respect that us civilians should appreciate. My salute to all of you who chose this as a career. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    For my defensive oriented drills, I've taken to putting a B8 in the upper part of the A Zone on a USPSA target, although I can't remember exactly who I got it from, I know it's not my original idea. Those VTAC targets reinforce that whoever had the idea originally had a good one.
    I believe Larry Vickers popularized this. I learned it from him in '05.

User Tag List