Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada’s Police Guns 2018: Blue Line Magazine Survey

Canada’s Police Guns 2018: Blue Line Magazine Survey

The following highlights are from an article dated Dec. 15 on the website of Blue Line, which covers police and law enforcement. The results are based on the magazine’s Canada-wide surveys. View the whole December 2017 issue here.
    <https://thegunblog.ca/2017/12/17/canadas-police-guns-2018-blue-line-magazine-survey/>

Glock GmbH dominates the market for Canadian police handguns and is attracting agencies faster than any other company, a survey by Blue Line magazine showed. Colt Canada Corp. supplies police with the most AR-15 rifles, and the most-popular police shotgun is the Remington 870.
    11 departments have followed or will follow the Ontario Provincial Police in switching to the Glock 17M in 9 mm.
    Glock has almost doubled its market share in the past decade. The Austrian company will equip about 75 percent of agencies next year, compared with 38 percent in 2007.
    Beretta Holding SpA had 19 percent of market a decade ago, and will have about 1 percent in 2018. Canada Border Services Agency uses Beretta PX4 Storm in 9 mm, but prohibits many agents from carrying one because of quality issues.
    Smith & Wesson Corp. had 15 percent market share in 2007 and about 3 percent next year. Peel Regional Police and Windsor police, both in Ontario, use the company’s M&P line for Military & Police. (The RCMP, Canada’s largest police agency, use an S&W model as their general-issue sidearm.)
    Canada’s Police Guns 2018: Blue Line Magazine Survey
    TheGunBlog.ca Data, News, Uncategorized Sunday 17 December 2017
    <https://thegunblog.ca/2017/12/17/canadas-police-guns-2018-blue-line-magazine-survey/>

Duty firearms 2018 - New trends in police and law enforcement guns and ammo
    B/L December 15, 2017 By Dave Brown

<https://www.blueline.ca/news/features/duty-firearms-2018-new-trends-in-police-and-law-enforcement-guns-and-ammo-5051>

Site Supporter
    Thanks for posting. Canadian law enforcement is interesting to me. I would like to know how often officers there get to carry off duty.

Another interesting thing I would like to know is how deep the supply of 5906/3913 and parts is.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Thanks for posting. Canadian law enforcement is interesting to me. I would like to know how often officers there get to carry off duty.
    The law provides for it. (See The RCMP Act and the respective provincial Police Acts.) In short, if your management allows you to do it, then you're allowed to do it; if your management doesn't allow you to do it, you'd need a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL), and your own firearm(s), and a valid Authorization to Carry (ATC), just like anybody else. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

Winnipeg has announced that it is going to allow it's members to carry between home and work, and they stated at the time that some members had been followed home. Former Toronto Chief Bill Blair once came under criticism after it was revealed that he'd allowed a female subordinate (with whom he'd had a sexual relationship) to carry (24/7), apparently because they'd both been concerned about her safety. A former Nova Scotia Justice Minister was once a police chief in Pictou County; while still working in that LE capacity he once made an official complaint about an RCMP member carrying (while off-duty) in his jurisdiction; one of his subordinates had reported witnessing an RCMP member, out running, drop the handgun in public. This complaint was reported in the media, but the outcome of the complaint was not revealed. Whether that particular RCMP member was 'allowed' or 'not allowed' (to do what he was alleged to have done) is unknown.

Most agencies won't comment publicly on their policies, so there's no way to know unless you happen to know.

Public support seems to be lacking for the concept. This year there was a petition on the issue - petition e-982 - but it received only 810 signatures.

Out of all the police officers, all of their wives, all of their friends, all of their relatives, and all of the public, from all of Canada, just eight hundred and ten signed the petition. Can you believe that?

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/En/P...Petition=e-982

Another interesting thing I would like to know is how deep the supply of 5906/3913 and parts is.
    See this post. Entry number three. (They paid S&W over a million dollars in 2016.) https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post687733
    Last edited by Wendell; 12-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post

Out of all the police officers, all of their wives, all of their friends, all of their relatives, and all of the public, from all of Canada, just eight hundred and ten signed the petition. Can you believe that?

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/En/P...Petition=e-982
    I can. There'd probably be even fewer signatures in New England for a similar petition.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Say what you will about New England, and it is very warranted for the southern half, but the northern half (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont) are all constitutional carry states. In addition, the firearms manufacturing sector is a critical component of the NH economy. ME has a significant element of firearms manufacturing as well.

As to our friendly maple eating neighbors to the north- they march to the beat of a different drummer named Tim Horton. Just don’t insult Gretzky or Don Cherry.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Say what you will about New England, and it is very warranted for the southern half, but the northern half (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont) are all constitutional carry states. In addition, the firearms manufacturing sector is a critical component of the NH economy. ME has a significant element of firearms manufacturing as well.

As to our friendly maple eating neighbors to the north- they march to the beat of a different drummer named Tim Horton. Just don’t insult Gretzky or Don Cherry.
    Or their beer.

I'm from CT..... Guns here cause a massive divide at every family function, let alone carrying one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 12-21-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    Or their beer.

I'm from CT..... Guns here cause a massive divide at every family function, let alone carrying one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Indeed. Seems CT legislature has done everything in their power to drive the gun industry out of the state. I live in CT, but I sure as hell don’t claim it as “home.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OPP Moving to the ‘next generation’ handgun

The Ontario Provincial Police is about to become the first major police agency in North America to equip all of its uniformed officers with the next generation handgun — the Glock Model 17M.
    <https://www.blueline.ca/news/features/moving-to-the-next-generation-handgun-5053>

Blue Line December 15, 2017
    Moving to the ‘next generation’ handgun
    By OPP Fleet Supply & Weapons Services Bureau

I'm most interested in this from OP: "Canada Border Services Agency uses Beretta PX4 Storm in 9 mm, but prohibits many agents from carrying one because of quality issues."

User Tag List