Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooter's Summit

Shooter's Summit

The shooter's summit is on it's second day. www.shooterssummit.com So far, I've listened to the videos with Brian Enos, Patrick Kelley, and Ben Stoeger. Right now I'm listening to Keith Garcia.

The quality level of the information being given is awesome. And it's free at the moment. I had some real take aways that will affect the way I'm doing things from Enos and Stoeger. Kelley may not influence my normal training, but I learned a lot about long guns that I didn't know before. There hasn't been one I've listened to so far, where I haven't learned something new.

Get in on this if you haven't yet. I'm lucky I have a day off to really take it all in.

Anyone else listened to any of it? What were things that you think were cool?

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 12-18-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Got to the "thank you" page and the "thank you" email. I'm seeing a lot of advertising for paid subscription, but not seeing the link to free access.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Got to the "thank you" page and the "thank you" email. I'm seeing a lot of advertising for paid subscription, but not seeing the link to free access.
    Gmail filtered it out for me too. Check your spam.

Also, PM inbound.

-Cory

Email with link showed up an hour later. I just finished the Brian Enos interview. Ive read his book but haven’t really followed him, so I didn’t find the first part about his burn out and retirement very interesting. The discussion after that was fascinating tho.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post

Anyone else listened to any of it? What were things that you think were cool?

-Cory
    Interesting how we all have different outlooks. I am listening daily, some days most/all, some days selectively. To me most of it was getting to be monumental waste of time so I was glad I could do it while driving or eating. I did like Ben's and Braga's interview, quite a bit actually, and I picked some small tidbits from Benny and Patrick and Hwansik and that cute lady from the SIG training outfit. The vehicle ops bit was interesting but not too relevant to me. Ernest was good as always but I've trained with him three times and Arik didn't ask anything that I haven't heard before. I've not listened to Wayne's yet. Otherwise, I felt that too many of interviews were lacking in content, interviewee's ability to express themselves in a way that was worth being put out there, or both, and the keynote interview to me sounded depressing.
    Last edited by YVK; 12-21-2017 at 11:28 PM.

I ended up missing Ben’s interview. Any key takeaways worth sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Interesting how we all have different outlooks. I am listening daily, some days most/all, some days selectively. To me most of it was getting to be monumental waste of time so I was glad I could do it while driving or eating. I did like Ben's and Braga's interview, quite a bit actually, and I picked some small tidbits from Benny and Patrick and Hwansik and that cute lady from the SIG training outfit. The vehicle ops bit was interesting but not too relevant to me. Ernest was good as always but I've trained with him three times and Arik didn't ask anything that I haven't heard before. I've not listened to Wayne's yet. Otherwise, I felt that too many of interviews were lacking in content, interviewee's ability to express themselves in a way that was worth being put out there, or both, and the keynote interview to me sounded depressing.
    If you haven't had the opportunity to train with Wayne and DB, I think you'll enjoy his interview.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Pick up his newest book and get to to work.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I liked the emphasis on importance of accurate self reflection (you are only as good as your average or your worst run, significant difference with what we see on internet), intolerance of small errors that end up snowballing later, constant evolution of training goals, some other stuff. It gave me an impression that he has a very comprehensive grasp of training and competing.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I think a lot of it depends on how many of the folks you have heard of before, or heard from before. Another major barrier is the fact that many of them want to help people out without giving away to much of the information/service they charge for.

Ben's point about thinking of your skill as either your worst time or average time of several runs on a drill or stage was a huge point. He also seemed to emphasis honesty in dry fire. He also mentioned how it's easy for people to press so hard to meet a par that they miss the process. This leads to them being dishonest with themselves during dryfire, thus lowering it's effectiveness.

Wayne Dobbs talked about the 4th rule of firearms. Know your target, what's beyond it, and whats around it. It may have been phrased differently. Essentially he was talking about how the rule that is not applicable very much when on a square range becomes incredibly important when officers (or civilians) are involved in shootings. He also spoke a lot about trouble that many departments have with training programs.

I liked Tim Herron's as well. His talk was mostly about dry fire and having a solid routine for it. If we think of shooting practice like exercise and we schedule it and make it part of our daily routine with goals for each day than it becomes easier to stay constant with it. That also helps build reps and solid core skills while keeping your dry fire diverse enough for you top remain interested. Great stuff.

John Johnston and Melody Lauer discussed their Armed Parent/Guardian course. They tried very hard not to give away to much "free chicken" from the class. In their defense, the answer to most of the questions about what you should do during a violent situation is "It depends". They talked about how child (or unarmed adult) age, ability, location, all can affect what the right choice may be. They basically said we don't give you TTPs, we give you some ideas about how things work, what core principles to keep in mind and help you realize you need to do what you can in the situation to best meet those principles. It really gave a good outline of what to expect when going to the class, and what your take aways and what you'll learn during.

John Lovell's was good. Not really for the information that was presented so much, but because of his demeanor. I had never heard of him so I got an idea of who he is, and his approach to everything. I really liked how laid back he was, but how serious he was about the defensive topic. He clearly tailors his information to the everyman not someone who has spent a ton of time "Doing good things to bad people" as some have put it. I haven't yet, but I intend to see more of what he has to say and will see what I think.

Langdon's was exactly what you would expect. Arik talked to him about the benefits of the DA/SA and about pinning the trigger. Honestly, I think that is a great point that Ernest is probably one of the best to discuss. But it seems that every time he gets interviewed they seem to only discuss the benefits of DA/SA or triggers. I was hoping to hear more about other aspects of shooting. At this point his "Fear Not" series and other interviews have covered the DA/SA ground and trigger pinning more than once. Still worth the listen on why TDA is a valid choice, and why many are migrating toward it.

There were other good ones but these are the ones that I can think of at the moment, and I've got the run out the door.

-Cory

User Tag List