Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VTAC 320 finally shipping--Anyone seen one/shot one?

VTAC 320 finally shipping--Anyone seen one/shot one?

Thread title pretty much says it all. I'm curious about the VTAC model and am looking for some feedback.

From photos it looks more or less like the X5 minus the mag well and the red dot interface/adapter piece. Is that the gist of it?

TIA!

I handled one a little while back. Coming from a 226 X5, the grip felt very familiar. I thought the trigger was ok, but nothing terribly exciting. But then again, my standard of comparison is that 226 X5, so....

The Vtac has almost the same grip module as the 320 X5, but as you noted, no mag well, and the dust cover / rail is shorter. I think the X5 also has a grip weight that the vtac lacks. The slide & bbl are a little shorter than the X5, ported on the sides instead of the top, no option for a Romeo 1, and different sights. Those are all the differences I'm aware of.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

While the 320 may have some followers still on the forum, I think you will find that the majority here do not find favor with the 320. Largely due to the discovery that they could discharge when dropped, and the way Sig chose to handle the issue. Many here hold a negative opinion of both the 320 model, and the current leadership of Sig itself.

Personally, I wasn't aware of a VTAC model being released. I can say that the X5 I handled didn't especially impress me. The 320 model didn't really do anything for me that my Glock didn't so I wasn't really looking for one (before public shaming, and subsequent poor handling). I was expecting the X5 to really be something special. The one I saw didn't seem like it was. To me it was a really expensive striker gun that didn't have a ton of added value. The owner was really happy with it (although he couldn't shoot it tremendously) so I guess it worked for him. I guess for me a souped up striker gun needs to show me some kind of benefit above the other options. A lot of the time, a trigger with characteristics someone else prefers, a fancy paint job, and different sights pump up the price. I would just want to make sure that wasn't the case before I shelled out more for a gun. Then again, I wouldn't buy a Sig anyway.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    I handled one a little while back. Coming from a 226 X5, the grip felt very familiar. I thought the trigger was ok, but nothing terribly exciting. But then again, my standard of comparison is that 226 X5, so....

The Vtac has almost the same grip module as the 320 X5, but as you noted, no mag well, and the dust cover / rail is shorter. I think the X5 also has a grip weight that the vtac lacks. The slide & bbl are a little shorter than the X5, ported on the sides instead of the top, no option for a Romeo 1, and different sights. Those are all the differences I'm aware of.
    I think I like the X grip over the standard 320 grip. It isn't as round so it seems a little bit easier to get a consistent grip when drawing from the holster.

Osage County Guns has the X Carry module avaiable for pre-order. The thing that's keeping me from pre-ordering is lack of info on a possible ship date. Also there's no info on the website about replacement magazine base pads. I don't think the standard 320 magazine we'll fit in the X.

Funny the military 320 is apparently cut to accept a red dot but the VTAC is not. I guess Kyle Lamb isn't sold on that particular method of sighting. Or, probably more correctly, Sig chose to leave that out so the gun doesn't compete directly with the X5.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    While the 320 may have some followers still on the forum, I think you will find that the majority here do not find favor with the 320. Largely due to the discovery that they could discharge when dropped, and the way Sig chose to handle the issue. Many here hold a negative opinion of both the 320 model, and the current leadership of Sig itself.

Personally, I wasn't aware of a VTAC model being released. I can say that the X5 I handled didn't especially impress me. The 320 model didn't really do anything for me that my Glock didn't so I wasn't really looking for one (before public shaming, and subsequent poor handling). I was expecting the X5 to really be something special. The one I saw didn't seem like it was. To me it was a really expensive striker gun that didn't have a ton of added value. The owner was really happy with it (although he couldn't shoot it tremendously) so I guess it worked for him. I guess for me a souped up striker gun needs to show me some kind of benefit above the other options. A lot of the time, a trigger with characteristics someone else prefers, a fancy paint job, and different sights pump up the price. I would just want to make sure that wasn't the case before I shelled out more for a gun. Then again, I wouldn't buy a Sig anyway.

-Cory
    Highly informative, thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Highly informative, thanks for the insight.
    Then again, I wouldn't buy a Sig anyway.
    And yet with almost 400,000 sold, there has been one incident???? I'm guessing you don't own one.by the comment yet you claim to be an expert?????. The VTAC is outstanding. Shot to the point of aim right out of the box as did my X5.

As far as Sig's response, a free voluntary upgrade has been started and is under way for several weeks.
    Last edited by rscalzo; 12-18-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
    And yet with almost 400,000 sold, there has been one incident???? I'm guessing you don't own one.by the comment yet you claim to be an expert?????. The VTAC is outstanding. Shot to the point of aim right out of the box as did my X5.

As far as Sig's response, a free voluntary upgrade has been started and is under way for several weeks.
    Do we know, definitively, how many incidents there have been?
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

The VTAC is outstanding.
    So you have a VTAC? Is there any difference in the trigger over the standard 320--other than its flat face? How's the finish holding up on the slide?

I wonder what SIG eventually plans to do with the 320 and these "premium" models. Will the VTAC and X5 (and now the X Carry) be available as conversion kits or just as complete pistols?

I have not claimed to be an expert. I am not an expert. I'm a guy who said I don't prefer 320s, and make sure you get more than window dressing. I also pointed out that they don't seem to be in favor here after the drop safe failure was discovered, and the voluntary upgrade announced.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Do we know, definitively, how many incidents there have been?
    As far as I'm aware, no.

-Cory

I heard some of the VTaC’s were shooting low due to a rear dovetail issue. I can not confirm this.

User Tag List