Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all smart people: My dad wants to get a .357 Glock or Sig....

Calling all smart people: My dad wants to get a .357 Glock or Sig....

He's 67.
    He has limited training time.
    He hates/sucks at DA/SA, mainly due to the above statement. (even though he learned on DA/SA)
    He likes a Glock 9mm and was ready to buy one, but someone got into his head about ballistics *facepalm*
    I sent him DocGKR's ballistics so that he can begin to restart his brain.

Putting grip aside for a moment, b/c I know he's comfortable with the size of 9mm Glock 19 and therefore I think he'd be fine with the grip of a Sig, is there any reason why he should choose a 357 vs a 9 other than 9mm ammo is cheaper and they both seem to have very similar ballistic characteristics?

Or, if I'm totally wrong, throw the penalty flag in my face and I'll happily take him to 357ville

Thanks in advance for the responses.

NOTE: Admin/Web dude, we really need a facepalm emoticon and/or a bangin' yer head against a brick wall emoticon-just sayin'.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

[enabler] Have him get a .357 glock, and a 9mm conversion barrel. He'll have the whiz bang factor that he's looking for and the cheap lower recoil practice. [enabler/]

If. And I really mean if. You were going to choose something other than 9mm and still wanted decent capacity I'd go with .40. And I really hate .40. That having been said there is NO reason to choose .357 over 9mm. The 9 does the same thing cheaper, while holding more rounds and recoiling less.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    If. And I really mean if. You were going to choose something other than 9mm and still wanted decent capacity I'd go with .40. And I really hate .40. That having been said there is NO reason to choose .357 over 9mm. The 9 does the same thing cheaper, while holding more rounds and recoiling less.
    This.

Do you have a range available that you can rent a 357 sig and let him try it. He may change his mind after experiencing the recoil and concussion off the gun.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Awesome insights! Thanks.
    He had a glock 23...epic fail, so I'm thinking he needs to be pushed into the 9 or the conversion setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I don't get the impression your dad is a high volume shooter, but availability of ammo would be a concern of mine. I agree that 9mm would be a better choice, but if he is wrapped up in ballistics I would steer him towards .40 over the .357. I never thought much of .40 until spending the last year with a G22 exclusively and its versatility has impressed me to the point I have no plans to go back to 9mm.
    Shooter's Digest Blog

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    He had a glock 23...epic fail, so I'm thinking he needs to be pushed into the 9 or the conversion setup.

We must have been typing at the same time...disregard the .40 suggestion then!
    Shooter's Digest Blog

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post

I would have him shoot the round before he bought, but I wouldn't push him into buying a 9mm or .40. Part of an HD/SD weapon is comfort and if he's more comfortable with .357 Sig, why not. As long as he can shoot the round, he's not hurting himself. I would get the conversion barrel just to offset some of the cost of practicing, but I wouldn't push him to anything or away from .357 if that's what he really wants. And to be honest, if given the choice between .40 and .357 sig, I prefer .357 Sig as well. I don't much like .40 and if I really want to shoot larger bullets, I'll shoot a .45. My point is that everyone has their preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
    I would have him shoot the round before he bought, but I wouldn't push him into buying a 9mm or .40. Part of an HD/SD weapon is comfort and if he's more comfortable with .357 Sig, why not. As long as he can shoot the round, he's not hurting himself. I would get the conversion barrel just to offset some of the cost of practicing, but I wouldn't push him to anything or away from .357 if that's what he really wants. And to be honest, if given the choice between .40 and .357 sig, I prefer .357 Sig as well. I don't much like .40 and if I really want to shoot larger bullets, I'll shoot a .45. My point is that everyone has their preferences.
    The only problem I see is that my dad hasn't shot a 357 since I was a teenager-about 20 years ago and the last time he shot his Glock 23 is when he agreed to let me shoot it and sell it for him. He's infinitely more comfortable with a 9mm and in NJ, there are very few places where you can find a rental for a Glock 357 (doable, but he's an impatient and cantankerous young man ).

Now that I've got some info and I've passed along DocGKRs ballistics, I'm sure he'll want to talk to me more and I'll share my findings with him.

Thanks

User Tag List