Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Shotgun Semi-Auto Questions

Hammertime

New to Shotgun Semi-Auto Questions

I have never liked shotguns, especially 12 ga. That being said, I used an old heavy pump this past weekend to shoot flung clays, and dang if it wasn't a huge amount of fun and I didn't feel beat up from it at all. It was fun to try to keep up with the loading from a pocket of shells as well. Must have been the combination of heavy shotgun and light loads. The few tactical shotguns (mossberg 500, and Beretta 1301) I have tried left me sour on the platform. I have also tried a friend's Benelli something or other duck gun and it was a pleasure to shoot. I have also shot a Beretta 20 ga Semi Auto and that thing was a total hoot.

Anyway, I get the feeling that if I bought a fun shotgun with a similar manual of arms to a tactical shotgun, I would shoot the fun one, and keep up to speed on how to handle the tactical from a load and unload perspective. Every time I handle a shotgun, which is infrequently, I feel like I am learning how to handle the thing all over again. I would like to get over that learning curve to unconscious competence.

So the question is: If I wanted to get a couple shotguns from the same family that functioned similarly, one tactical, and one for killing clays, which would you suggest. If I ever hunted with it, it would be desert stuff like rabbits, dove or quail, but honestly, I would probably never hunt with it. I don't need to be cheap about it, but I don't need some ultra expensive gun as well, just something reliable.

If you didn’t like the 1301, I’d say a Benelli.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Depends on the Benelli. My M1 beats me to shit, but the M4s I've used shot like heavy expensive dreams.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    I was a very active Clays shooter. I have multiple Rem 1100 Clays guns - 12 gauge, 20 gauge and 28 gauge - and a Rem 1100 Competition 12 gauge for HD. The Rem 1100 is not the favored 3 gun or "tactical" shotgun but they have served me well.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Depends on the Benelli. My M1 beats me to shit, but the M4s I've used shot like heavy expensive dreams.
    I think the issue with the 1301 is it is so dang light it beats me up. They run well.

The 1301 beat your shoulder up? It's been pretty successful in the 3 gun world and those guys shoot fast. It and the Remington Versamax are gas guns which will be softer on the shoulder and have done well in 3 gun. If you go with a Benelli the Vinci is a newer design. Mine feels noticeably softer than the M2 I had running the same loads. It'll be hard to beat a Benelli for reliability with it's inertia operated action but they aren't as soft shooting as the gas guns and have to have a certain power level of shell to even work. My Vinci will shoot the low recoil buck and slugs but I doubt it would go any lighter than a 1oz load at 1145 FPS. The comfortech stocks on the Benellis do help with the real heavy loads but I'm not real sure they do much with bird loads. I'm sad to say that the Italian Beretta and Benelli shotguns are head and shoulders above anything American made I've seen when it comes to build quality. If it were me I'd look hard at the 1301 again or go to a Benelli Vinci.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 12-16-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Hammertime

New to Shotgun Semi-Auto Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    The 1301 beat your shoulder up?
    I am admittedly a recoil weenie. Could be a just need to learn to shoot. Or have a second heavy gun to practice with and do limited shooting with an 18” 1301.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 12-16-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Or use low recoil ammunition like Fiochi slugs or LE buckshot, etc. Beretta 1301 is quite reliable with low recoil ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I am admittedly a recoil weenie. Could be a just need to learn to shoot. Or have a second heavy gun to practice with and do limited shooting with an 18” 1301.
    Another to look at is the Winchester SX3 or SX4. I had an FN SLP Mk1 which is identical to the SX2 and it was a soft shooter. But it was heavy like a tank and didn't point or swing well for me. For that kind of money I'd be looking for Italian iron but it may work for you.

I really like my supernova tactical with a limbsaver pad. Whatever you buy, bolt a limbsaver on. Personally, I find my benelli m4s to be very pleasant, especially with tactical low recoil stuff.

User Tag List