Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New to Shotgun Semi-Auto Questions

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Yes...if you can manage it. The further inboard you run the gun the less felt recoil you will have to contend with. The traditional stock length for shotguns is designed for a 6 foot plus male with a shoulder width slightly bigger than the average 18".

That's not most people, obviously. Hence why top end manufacturers will custom make you a stock based on your measurements. On a defensive gun we're pretty much just happy to get the LOP down from the usual 14" to 12", or as close as possible to it. The 1301's LOP is just over 13".
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Jacket/coat thickness is a variable in the length of pull equation. Despite being an obvious fact, I must say that wing shooting requirements differ from tactical needs. I'm a wing shooter who dabbles in the tactical arena. I'm an ok wing shooter who has almost no shotgun tactical qualifications. Now that the sun is setting on pump riot shotguns, I'm completely out of date so will offer no more advice.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I wanted a dual, hunting and defense set-up, I would get a Benelli M2 26 inch, with the shorter youth LOP Comfortech stock, and then source a shorter barrel and add an Aimpoint S1 on the rib. Now you have a perfect shotgun to hunt and bust clays, and a shorter defensive barrel with a dot. Since the S1 mounts to the rib, you can easily switch barrels and keep zero.
    GJM, as I'm very close to purchasing and M2 Field for the exact purposes you outline above, can I ask why you advocate the shorter LOP Comfortech stock? I've seen the M2 Field Compact but I'm not sure why a shorter length stock would be potentially preferable. (I'm 5'11" with long arms) Also, you prefer the 26-inch barrel to the 28-inch?

Thank you for your time and guidance, sir!

Site Supporter
    I'll comment while you wait for GJM. The shorter lop works out nicely when heavy coats are worn. Otherwise, if too short, a slip on pad will make up the difference. Tactical shooters have noticed that a shorter lop mounts quickly without grabbing outer garments. The shorter lop is needed for vest wearers. The so-called regular lop is a one size fits all figment of some long dead person's imagination. I have a 35 inch sleeve length. Shorter than standard lop's actually function better for my use.
    Also, a shorter lop more easily allows stock placement to be closer to shooter's mid line.
    Last edited by willie; 12-18-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I'll comment while you wait for GJM. The shorter lop works out nicely when heavy coats are worn. Otherwise, if too short, a slip on pad will make up the difference. Tactical shooters have noticed that a shorter lop mounts quickly without grabbing outer garments. The shorter lop is needed for vest wearers. The so-called regular lop is a one size fits all figment of some long dead person's imagination. I have a 35 inch sleeve length. Shorter than standard lop's actually function better for my use.
    Also, a shorter lop more easily allows stock placement to be closer to shooter's mid line.
    What he said.

6-1, 35 inch sleeves, and shorter LOP handles much better. This is for slugs/buck as opposed to pure wing shooting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime

New to Shotgun Semi-Auto Questions

Well I took the 1301 out and practiced general manipulation, single loading, loading from a ready condition (bolt forward, tube full, one in lifter, safety on), and, shooting. And I really liked it! I was shooting the lightest target load I had on hand, and it wasn’t bad at all. I think I previously only shot Magnum loads and some heavier bird load (#6?) through it to kill some roosters.

The combination of light load, winter jacket, push pull, and mounting the stock inboard made shooting it quite pleasant.

I think I favor the Benelli M2 ultimately, but will work with the 1301 for a while to gain some minimal proficiency. Shotguns just function so differently from Carbine and pistol. The Push Pull thing is very much a timing issue and not at all automatic for me at this point.

Thanks all for the tips.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 12-22-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    My only warning about Benellis is that they tend to like heavier ammo where the 1301 will run with just about anything.

I'm working on getting my hands on some Remington LE loads (reduced recoil) to see if they will run reliably in my 1301s. Those Remington loads feel as mild as shooting a 5.56 in an 870 so I'm not sure if they have enough oomph to power the 1301's action.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    My only warning about Benellis is that they tend to like heavier ammo where the 1301 will run with just about anything.

I'm working on getting my hands on some Remington LE loads (reduced recoil) to see if they will run reliably in my 1301s. Those Remington loads feel as mild as shooting a 5.56 in an 870 so I'm not sure if they have enough oomph to power the 1301's action.
    My 1301 had no trouble cycling a 250 round case of Fiocchi low recoil buckshot, that were indeed so low recoil that they kicked less than el cheapo Federal bulk pack birdshot.

Is Remington low recoil even milder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I see recoil as perhaps being an important consideration in a hunting or competition shotgun, but largely irrelevant in a defensive shotgun that you will likely shoot six or less shots with. I have 14 inch Benelli M2 and M4 shotguns, and far prefer the M2 in the field, as it is so much lighter to carry, even though the extra weight of the M4 makes it softer to shoot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

How is the reliability of the M2 vs the M4? I got an M2 but I still pine for the M4..

User Tag List