Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patterning Federal FliteControl

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Shot some more Federal Flite Control buckshot. This time it was LE127 00, the low recoil 9 pellet load out of my stock Benelli Nova with rifle sights. Shot at 10, 20 and 30 yards.
    10 yards:
    Attachment 23597
    30 yards:
    Attachment 23599
    20 yards:
    Attachment 23598

The groups are approximately 1” at 10, 2” at 20 and 5” at 30 yards. I’ll be buying more of this load. Can’t wait to try it in my Berettas.
    Crazy. Seems like I'm the only one FC sucks for. Your 30 yard group looks like my 12-15 yard group from my Benelli SN Tactical smoothbore/no choke.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Crazy. Seems like I'm the only one FC sucks for. Your 30 yard group looks like my 12-15 yard group from my Benelli SN Tactical smoothbore/no choke.
    This thread shows you that it's a shotgun by shotgun deal. There is no reason chopping a barrel 2" should improve patterns, but it did. My 18.5" beaded 870 barrel shoots like Lt. Dave's Nova. My 18.5" Remington RS barrel doesn't. If you throw down for a Caesar Guerini it will probably pattern predictably, but at the bottom of mass produced shotgun barrels not so much.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Have you tried any of the Hornady 8 pellet loads with VersaTite wads? They are doing pretty well for me in 4 different guns. The worst 20 yard pattern was 9". Other loads to try are the 8 pellet LE 133/9 pellet LE132 Federal 00. One of those may work for you.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Have you tried any of the Hornady 8 pellet loads with VersaTite wads? They are doing pretty well for me in 4 different guns. The worst 20 yard pattern was 9". Other loads to try are the 8 pellet LE 133/9 pellet LE132 Federal 00. One of those may work for you.
    I've tried every load made with the fc was except the low recoil blue hull hornady le load. The tightest is fc #1, at about 8-12" at 25y, but shoots high and right by 6"

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    This thread shows you that it's a shotgun by shotgun deal. There is no reason chopping a barrel 2" should improve patterns, but it did. My 18.5" beaded 870 barrel shoots like Lt. Dave's Nova. My 18.5" Remington RS barrel doesn't. If you throw down for a Caesar Guerini it will probably pattern predictably, but at the bottom of mass produced shotgun barrels not so much.
    I just don't get how hammer forged barrels vary so much from gun to gun. The magic of the gauge I suppose.

I've tried every load made with the fc was except the low recoil blue hull hornady le load. The tightest is fc #1, at about 8-12" at 25y, but shoots high and right by 6"
    Guess it's time for another barrel/gun. :-(
    Sometimes you have to nuke it from orbit.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Here is LE 127 00 vs. LE 133 00 from my Benelli SNT 18.5" CYL, 10 shots of each, at 25 yards. I counted the strikes, but I cannot exclude the possibility that 2 or more pellets travelled through the same hole.

Guess it's time for another barrel/gun. :-(
    Sometimes you have to nuke it from orbit.
    Already bought one.

M4 SBS Entry. See if IT patterns decent.

I'm looking forward to seeing that ^^^^^.

I patterned Hornady TAP 00 Light Magnum and TAP 00 Reduced Recoil loads yesterday in my Benell M4 with stock Modified mobil choke. The Hornady RR load patterned really well, but won't currently cycle the gun. The LM pattern was about double the size of the RR starting at 10 yards, and I'm thinking the greater velocity of the LM (1600fps*) vs the RR (1100fps*) combined with the Modified choke, is starting to strip the Flight Control/VersaTite wad prematurely causing the LM to open up quicker.

I just placed an order with Trulock for a .725 Cylinder choke to see if that will help with the LM patterns.

Since posting above, I went searching for additional information, and found the following two YT videos. In the first, he is testing shotguns for HD purposes against his control, which is a 6.8spc AR. He tests Fed FC 00 and #1 through a CYL bore 870 and also a Benelli M4 with factory Modified choke. My results with Hornady TAP Light Magnum at ten yards were very similar to his at 9 yards. The CYL bore 870 performs considerably better, and he comes to the same conclusion that I have, which is the MOD choke in the Benelli is affecting the FC wad and causing the patterns to open. He states his intention is to purchase a CYL choke for the M4 and try again. Unlike many, he made good on his statement, and does another video testing.

In the follow-up video, he's purchased a CYL choke for the M4, and his patterns are MUCH better, basically matching the CYL 870. I'm hoping for the same positive results, and look forward to getting my Trulock CYL choke.

The videos are long enough that it's easy to skip around and see results. Or, you can just watch the second video as he reviews the target results from both videos.

ETA: I think just comparing how much the wad separates from the pattern in the MOD choke vs the CYL choke is very telling.

Last edited by StraitR; 04-06-2018 at 03:08 PM.

User Tag List