Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patterning Federal FliteControl

Went back to the range today with the same 870/cyl. barrel and another Mossberg. #1 Buck FC worked normal with the Mossberg. With the 870, one hole at 25 yards. Moved the target out to 50 yards, finally a pattern of 3+ inches. The wad seems to be staying with the shot past 25 yards, then separating.

That barrel started life as a 20" imp. cyl. with rifle sights. Sent the shotgun/barrel combo off to Wilson combat for their "Remington Steal" package and had them cut the barrel back to 18" and install a bead on pedestal. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. Normal buckshot patterns as you would expect, 1" spread for every yard, 14-15" at 15 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    This is my finding as well. Nothing out patterns an overbore/backbore with FC. My benelli shoot 8-12" 25 yard patterns with fc. #1 patterns best.
    Tried my IC choked 870 at 25 yards today, +- 11" with the #1 buck load.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 01-25-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Just got a new Beretta 1301 Competition with the 21" barrel and factory choke. Took it out and patterned a few loads today including Federal #1B Low Recoil with Flite Control wad (LE132 1B) at 10, 20 & 30 yards:

10 yards, POA was the head "A" zone
    Name:  IMG_0815.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  40.8 KB

20 yards, POA was the "A" in the A zone. First round I fired out of the gun. I think I pulled it right a little.
    Name:  IMG_0811.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  31.5 KB

30 yards, POA was bottom of A zone
    Name:  IMG_0816.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  29.3 KB

Pretty pleased with the results.

Here is a comparison of Winchester #1B (XB121) fired at 10 yards. POA was bottom of "C" zone:
    Name:  IMG_0818.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  33.4 KB.
    Last edited by LtDave; 02-02-2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Add Winchester #1B picture
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

No need for more testing. You're good to go.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    No need for more testing. You're good to go.
    I shot other loads as well. Fiocchi Exacta 00 low recoil nickle plated stuff (1150 fps) patterned well at 10 and 20 yards, extracted but wouldn’t lock the bolt open on the Beretta. I have some of the 1325 fps Exacta buck and am hoping it patterns like the low recoil. Also tried some Hornady Critical Defense 00 8 pellet and #4 Buck Varmit Express with the VersaTite wads. That did ok, but not as nice as the Federal #1.

I've found federal #1 won't shoot poa for me. It's high and right. Far worse than your "pulled" round above. Slugs and other buck all shoot poa.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I shot other loads as well. Fiocchi Exacta 00 low recoil nickle plated stuff (1150 fps) patterned well at 10 and 20 yards, extracted but wouldn’t lock the bolt open on the Beretta. I have some of the 1325 fps Exacta buck and am hoping it patterns like the low recoil. Also tried some Hornady Critical Defense 00 8 pellet and #4 Buck Varmit Express with the VersaTite wads. That did ok, but not as nice as the Federal #1.
    Did you use a choke on the flitecontrol? I get similar results with cylinder, but any constriction opens up the pattern by 1/2 or so.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 02-02-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Did you use a choke on the flitecontrol? I get similar results with cylinder, but any constriction opens up the pattern by 1/2 or so.
    Whatever comes stock with the Beretta 1301 Competition which has removable chokes. I'm guessing Cylinder or Imp Cylinder.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Went back to the range today with the same 870/cyl. barrel and another Mossberg. #1 Buck FC worked normal with the Mossberg. With the 870, one hole at 25 yards. Moved the target out to 50 yards, finally a pattern of 3+ inches. The wad seems to be staying with the shot past 25 yards, then separating.

That barrel started life as a 20" imp. cyl. with rifle sights. Sent the shotgun/barrel combo off to Wilson combat for their "Remington Steal" package and had them cut the barrel back to 18" and install a bead on pedestal. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. Normal buckshot patterns as you would expect, 1" spread for every yard, 14-15" at 15 yards.
    Chopping the barrel 2" shouldn't have made a significant difference...certainly not that significantly.

With the variations in how barrels are made it just seems to me that you got one that just shoots FFC extremely tight. That's certainly the tightest patterning I've ever even heard of. That barrel is a rarity.
    3/15/2016

Shot some more Federal Flite Control buckshot. This time it was LE127 00, the low recoil 9 pellet load out of my stock Benelli Nova with rifle sights. Shot at 10, 20 and 30 yards.
    10 yards:
    Name:  0285E10E-0D19-4EFA-A2C9-ABFA493C96A6.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  38.9 KB
    30 yards:
    Name:  DE97FF7F-A4C5-4028-BEC5-0F876F3D9308.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  48.0 KB
    20 yards:
    Name:  42B47C57-5276-4418-98AE-D2F2ED7F883A.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  44.9 KB

The groups are approximately 1” at 10, 2” at 20 and 5” at 30 yards. I’ll be buying more of this load. Can’t wait to try it in my Berettas.
    Last edited by LtDave; 02-05-2018 at 05:15 PM.

User Tag List