Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre ban magazines

Pre ban magazines

How are pre ban magazines recognized? I just put my application in for my Mass carry permit and believe I need to either keep the round count at 10 or less or use preban mags.

Thats easy enough with my 1911 but what about when I want to carry my berettas or g19? I just got a m9a3 and plan on carrying that full-time once my holster from jmcustom gets in.

Are there phony prebans out there? Do people just stamp 1993 on the body and try to double their money?

Thanks

Generally speaking there was nothing indicating when a mag was made prior to the ban. During the ban they had the warning on normal capacity mags.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How are pre ban magazines recognized? I just put my application in for my Mass carry permit and believe I need to either keep the round count at 10 or less or use preban mags.

Thats easy enough with my 1911 but what about when I want to carry my berettas or g19? I just got a m9a3 and plan on carrying that full-time once my holster from jmcustom gets in.

Are there phony prebans out there? Do people just stamp 1993 on the body and try to double their money?

Thanks
    For my daily commute to MA for work, I replace the 92C mags with 10 rd versions. I have about 6 for both the 92C and 92BT. They all feed.

However, the 92C mag springs are SO tight it takes awhile for the springs to set enough to seat with the slide forward. I have a couple 10 rd 92C mags that won’t seat with 10 rds of 147 HST but will anything else. Makes me think the outside diameter is enough larger that the mags need downloaded to 9 with HST. They seat fine with a full load of Gold Dots....
    Last edited by LSP552; 12-16-2017 at 07:25 AM.

It doesn't even seem worth it. MA sounds like one of those states, with its byzantine laws, that no one knows what's right and wrong. So even if you had correct preban mags, if you were pulled over, I could see a statie arresting you, and then the anti2a DA prosecuting you.

Same rationale for carrying everything stock (other than sights - and even then, I bet they'd freak out over an RMR).

When I read about the flat out lies coming from AG Healy about national reciprocity, I cry myself to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Qaz98; 12-16-2017 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chingy98 View Post
    When I read about the flat out lies coming from AG Healy about national reciprocity, I cry myself to sleep.
    Yesterday I heard part of a radio interview with Boston PD Commissioner Evans. “Imagine if people in the crowd at the Marathon had guns! We need to get these guns off the street!”

Thank God I moved out of Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Yesterday I heard part of a radio interview with Boston PD Commissioner Evans. “Imagine if people in the crowd at the Marathon had guns! We need to get these guns off the street!”

Thank God I moved out of Mass.
    I just saw the statistics from Texas, and there is a ridiculously low rate of criminal criminal victions. And that's less than 0.5% of all convictions. And that's consistent for the past 10 years.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/LTC/reports/convrates.htm

Its a great and unbiased argument against anyone who thinks that more concealed carry leads to more criminals.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Glock mags are pretty easy. L-R, pre 94 G17 mag, ban mag, post ban. Note the caliber marking move to make room for the restriction notice, and then the deletion.

Name:  9mags.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  74.4 KB

Other brands have similar tells, but others should speak to those.

Are there phony prebans out there? Do people just stamp 1993 on the body and try to double their money? Thanks
    Yup, lots of dremel work and other nonsense. Any signs of dremel or extra stamps, say no.
    Last edited by ST911; 12-16-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    There are many threads on identifying preban Glock mags. I live in Georgia but I have picked up preban Glock mags over the years in trades, used mag boxes, etc.

How would you ID a pre ban Beretta 92 mag and one made now? They look the same to me.

Banned
    Wouldn't all "Pre Ban" magazines be over 30 years old at this point?

User Tag List